Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

At this point, how low budget does Swamp Thing need to be to make profit, coz apparently even Blue Beetle budget doesn't seem to be low enough?

Are you sure? If Swamp Thing gets made, they could easily not really sell it as a superhero movie and instead sell it more as IP horror (adjacent).

Also, I've been shocked by how 2022 superhero failures show The Batman carved out a strong stand alone identity. Perhaps that sort of visual gap with generic superhero films will really help? 

• Like 1

Thinking Aquaman 2 will do well after every live action comicbook movie bombed this year beside GOTG3 which got great critic and audience reviews just seems like setting yourself up for disappointment.  Transformers ROTB is probably the ceiling for Aquaman 2

Strong drop for Priscilla and very good start for Dream Scenario. With The Holdovers also looking to expand well, the specialty market is making a minor comeback after last year's paltry grosses, some good news for one market (stuff like Saltburn, Poor Things, and The Iron Claw also have potential to find an audience) compared to the bad omens on the mainstream side of the box office this holiday season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Thinking Aquaman 2 will do well after every live action comicbook movie bombed this year beside GOTG3 which got great critic and audience reviews just seems like setting yourself up for disappointment.  Transformers ROTB is probably the ceiling for Aquaman 2

It will be funny if Aquaman 2 actually performs really compared to the likes of Flash and Marvels!

Just now, JimmyB said:

There’s a strong difference between doing well and not collapsing 

440M for Aquaman 2 would be acceptable compared to Shazam / Flash / Blue Beetle / The Marvels 

ROTB does seems like a good comparison but Aquaman has Christmas to give it a extra small boost and push it to 500M if reception is fine

@Eric Danvers @WrathOfHan I missed this last week:

19x:

The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Dolby, Fast X Dolby, The Little Mermaid IMAX, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby Round 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Round 4, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Dolby, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, No Hard Feelings, Haunted Mansion Dolby, Theater Camp Round 0, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Theater Camp, Blue Beetle Dolby, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby, Five Nights at Freddy’s

11x:

Trolls Band Together: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental Round 2, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Round 2, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Haunted Mansion Dolby, Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Dolby, Blue Beetle Dolby, Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Stop Making Sense IMAX

9x:

Wish: The Little Mermaid IMAX, Elemental 3D, Elemental Round 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Round 4, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Haunted Mansion Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D

7x:

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Shortcomings, Strays, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

6x:

Killers of the Flower Moon: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Talk to Me, Oppenheimer Round 3 IMAX, Star Trek Round 2, A Haunting in Venice IMAX

Dune: Part Two: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Dolby, Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Oppenheimer Round 3 IMAX, The Nun II Dolby, Batman Begins

Wonka: Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Blue Beetle Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby

Poor Things: Chevalier, Asteroid City Round 2, Theater Camp Round 0, Theater Camp, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

5x:

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Round 2, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D

Five Nights at Freddy’s: Fast X Dolby, The First Slam Dunk, Oldboy, Strays, A Haunting in Venice IMAX

The Color Purple: Barbie, Theater Camp, Birth/Rebirth, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear Dolby, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Round 4, Asteroid City, Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Beetlejuice Dolby

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Drive-Away Dolls: Asteroid City, Asteroid City Round 2, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Talk to Me

Next Goal Wins: Chevalier, Theater Camp Round 0, Theater Camp, Bottoms

Napoleon: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Killers of the Flower Moon Dolby, Anatomy of a Fall

3x:

Problemista: You Hurt My Feelings, Past Lives, Talk to Me
Priscilla: Past Lives, Talk to Me, Stop Making Sense IMAX
The Persian Version: Shortcomings, Bottoms, The Royal Hotel
The Boy and the Heron: Howl’s Moving Castle, The Night of the Hunter 35mm, Spirited Away
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby, Five Nights at Freddy’s
Eileen: Oldboy, The Royal Hotel, Anatomy of a Fall
Argylle: The Royal Hotel, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Anatomy of a Fall

2x:

Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Barbie
The Holdovers: Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Theater Camp Round 0
What Happens Later: Rocky aur Rani Kii Prem Kahani, A Haunting in Venice IMAX
Freelance: Star Trek Round 2, Batman Begins
Gaddi Jaandi Ae Chalaangaan Maardi: Rocky aur Rani Kii Prem Kahani, Jawan
Salaar: Part 1 – Ceasefire: Rocky aur Rani Kii Prem Kahani, Jawan
Anatomy of a Fall: Stop Making Sense IMAX, The Royal Hotel
Ferrari: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

1x:

MaXXXine: Pearl
Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
Elio: Elemental 3D
Inspector Sun: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D
Saltburn: Bottoms
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour: Stop Making Sense IMAX
Once Within a Time: The Night of the Hunter 35mm
The Delinquents: The Night of the Hunter 35mm
The Other Zoey: Beetlejuice Dolby
The Canterville Ghost: Beetlejuice Dolby
All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt: The Killer
All of Us Strangers: The Killer
Maestro: The Killer
Leave the World Behind: The Killer
The Beekeeper: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Godzilla Minus One: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Thanksgiving: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Mean Girls: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Lisa Frankenstein: Five Nights at Freddy’s
Night Swim: Five Nights at Freddy’s

Edited by Blankments

8 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Are you sure? If Swamp Thing gets made, they could easily not really sell it as a superhero movie and instead sell it more as IP horror (adjacent).

Also, I've been shocked by how 2022 superhero failures show The Batman carved out a strong stand alone identity. Perhaps that sort of visual gap with generic superhero films will really help? 

Yeah you're right. Swamp Thing can be a genre-bending <50M budget creature feature.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s a strong difference between doing well and not collapsing 

440M for Aquaman 2 would be acceptable compared to Shazam / Flash / Blue Beetle / The Marvels 

ROTB does seems like a good comparison but Aquaman has Christmas to give it a extra small boost and push it to 500M if reception is fine

Movies bomb over the Christmas holidays too. Everything we know about Aquaman 2 is negative. IDK, the general audience seems to not care about comic book films and they really dont care about the DCEU. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

If not posted, current demos from Deadline...I'm amused the demo they targeted the most (under 25 women) showed up the least by a mile...but then, my girls didn't want this at all...

EDIT: And it was posted, but I still think the under 25 women marker needs to be discussed b/c Young Avengers seems headed right there again, so Marvel has to say - why would I lose another $200M on a movie just to say I could...

"Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take." 

So there's basically a whole letter grade gap in male/female reception (probably a minimum of a 4 point gap but really more like 8-12). 

Deadline update

SUNDAY AM WRITETHRU — after Saturday update: The last-minute push for The Marvels with an appearance by star Brie Larson on Friday’s The Tonight Show and at a theater in NYC post-actors strike have not moved weekend grosses any higher for Marvel Studios The Marvels. The film is posting a weekend at the bottom of yesterday’s estimates with $47M, the lowest ever for Disney‘s Marvel Cinematic Universe. This after a $15M Saturday, -30% against previews/Friday of $21.5M.

Oh, also, The Marvels gets one of several post-pandemic B CinemaScores from audiences after Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (B+), Thor Love & Thunder (B+), Eternals (B), and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (B). Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits are worse at 3 1/2 stars and a 73% positive.

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah you're right. Swamp Thing can be a genre-bending <50M budget creature feature.

Funnily enough they've literally already done that. There was briefly a DC streaming service that approved a Swamp Thing tv show. They spent 80M on it expecting a 40M tax rebate. 

https://www.cbr.com/swamp-thing-cancellation-north-carolina-accounting-error/