Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'd like to throw some water on these Disney defenders in here saying the company is fine.  It's actually the opposite. The theme parks took a hit this Summer.  Disney+ has been largely unsuccessful.  Most of their theatrical releases are bombing.  The stock has tumbled down the pandemic levels not seen since April of 2020.  They are firing people left and right from ESPN.  They are rumored to be shopping ESPN.  Cable companies aren't paying their wild fees anymore.  

I think they'll find ways to navigate all of their issues but this idea that everything is fine couldn't be further from the truth.  They do have to make changes all over the place. 

Disney will be fine, stock prices go up and down. From day one of Disney+ they said it would be profitable by 2024.  Domestic parks earned $5.4 billion, up 7%, while earnings at international parks were up 55% to $1.7 billion. 

ESPN saw revenue of $13.2 billion and operating income of close to $1.5 billion for the first nine months of fiscal 2023. In comparison, the entire Entertainment segment, which includes everything but sports, had $31 billion in sales but just $1.2 billion in profits for the same period, according to an SEC filing.

The company reported net income of $264 million, or 14 cents per share, for the fiscal fourth-quarter ended Sept. 30, up from a net income of $162 million, or 9 cents a share, during the year-ago period.

Excluding impairments, the company earned 82 cents per share, higher than the 70 cents per share Wall Street had expected.

Revenue increased 5% to $21.24 billion, just short of estimates, which called for revenue of $21.33 billion. This is the second consecutive revenue miss for Disney and the first time it has had a consecutive revenue miss since early 2018.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/08/disney-dis-earnings-report-q4-2023.html

• Like 1

obviosuly Disney as a company will be fine overall but I think their movie division is in trouble. MCU is dying. Star Wars on film is pretty much dead. They are running out of movies to remake and I think people are getting tired of those. Honestly, they might soon have to rely on animation and even that is not guaranteed as we saw with movies like Lightyear and Strange World

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

obviosuly Disney as a company will be fine overall but I think their movie division is in trouble. MCU is dying. Star Wars on film is pretty much dead. They are running out of movies to remake and I think people are getting tired of those. Honestly, they might soon have to rely on animation and even that is not guaranteed as we saw with movies like Lightyear and Strange World

They need WDAS and Pixar to carry them like animation always has when they haven’t had any other hits. They should be majorly concerned about whether or not those two studios feel empowered to be creative and are happy in their jobs. The animated films won’t do well if not. 

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So what final legs are we looking at?

I have no fricking clue. its just monday. Let us wait until 2nd weekend before we guess its legs. But its a MCU sequel with middling reception and you can pretty much take the range from Ant 3 to Eternals for benchmark :-) Other key thing is its losing most of Imax/PLF. I see in few theaters its sharing Imax or even Dolby and it does have dbox or screen x or xd at few locations, but its losing most of premium screens. That is not going to help apart from its WOM. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is a holiday in Canada on Monday, could overindex there massively. That said, I haven't checked it.

I am going to be off. That will make a big difference. 

@charlie Jatinder do you know what it is for. Remembrance day break was on Friday if I am not wrong. 

Edited by keysersoze123

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Avatar is the only thing Disney has going for it 

Deadpool 3 and Inside Out 2 look to be 2 of the biggest films of the next year and Wish is tracking to be a hit with possibly excellent legs due to the lack of holiday competition for families

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

Inside Out 2 look to be 2 of the biggest films of the next year

do the trailer metrics back that idea up?

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Avatar is the only thing Disney has going for it 

If you exclude 20th century brand, which for some reason Comscore still list it separately, Disney is the only major studio that haven't got a $1bn hit post-Covid.

Sony - NWH

WB- Barbie

Universal - Mario, JWD

Paramount- TGM

20th century - ATOW

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

thread was pretty lacking in "MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM"

do better. 

That's only because the people who run this place get rid of any interesting discussion and ban people rather than let conversations happen.

• Like 14