baumer

Friday numbers first post

Yes, go Think Like A Man!

As long as anything get's the number 1 spot ahead of that peice of shit The Lucky One.

Worst movie-going experience of my life and worse movie I've seen in years. I'd rather watch Transformers 2 again than have to sit through TLO again - and that's saying something!

LOL Think Like A Man will likely be number one and there is no thread for it at all.

AA, it has more than a slim chance to pass DH2. It's going to pass it up, guaranteed.

It has been beating it week to week, but the gap its beating it by is falling by about 50%. If it continues to do that it will only match its total. Plus, HP8 had a Labor Day boost two weeks earlier in its run than THG will have its Memorial Day boost. I see it "peetering" out around 375-380.

It has been beating it week to week, but the gap its beating it by is falling by about 50%. If it continues to do that it will only match its total. Plus, HP8 had a Labor Day boost two weeks earlier in its run than THG will have its Memorial Day boost. I see it "peetering" out around 375-380.

Way too pessimistic. Remember you failed to believe me that Fast Five was going to pass 200m. Believe me, it's gonna clear 380m+.

Way too pessimistic. Remember you failed to believe me that Fast Five was going to pass 200m. Believe me, it's gonna clear 380m+.

The huge potential X Factor in this is still the book readers. When a movie audience has a book that is actively being read, the legs are hard to figure.I think The Help is a great example. That movie was already a huge bestseller when it debuted, but I don't think it held on just because its older audience got to the movie in their sweet time. I think it held because, with the movie out there, a number of people picked up the book for the first time and filled out the later weeks. Games could do the same and I think it gets past 400.

The huge potential X Factor in this is still the book readers. When a movie audience has a book that is actively being read, the legs are hard to figure.I think The Help is a great example. That movie was already a huge bestseller when it debuted, but I don't think it held on just because its older audience got to the movie in their sweet time. I think it held because, with the movie out there, a number of people picked up the book for the first time and filled out the later weeks. Games could do the same and I think it gets past 400.

Very possible. It's stabilization after its 2nd weekend tumble just tells me that the fanboy/fangirl fervor has died down and other new readers and/or older audiences are checking it out because they're curious what it's about. The first Twilight enjoyed a smilar fate and enjoyed a great late run, buoyed by the Chistmas holidays but it still held up well regardless.400m is definitely a longshot but the IMAX re-release next week tells me that Lionsgate thinks it has a chance and want to help it anyway they can.

You never know. THG could be the energiser bunny that just keeps on quietly chalking up steady money through the whole summer, as long as Liongsgate doesn't pull it out of the theatres too quickly. :)

No way Lionsgate pulls it early, this is by far the biggest movie they ever got their hands on, if anything they will leave it in to milk every dollar they can out of it and get its gross as high as possible.

http://www.deadline....anzee-swinging/

FRIDAY 4:45 PM: I’m on vacation but the North American box office doesn’t stop. Big online ticket seller Fandango callled this sleeper early when it reported that Think Like A Man based on the bestselling book by TV/radio comedian Steve Harvey was its top-selling movie — representing a healthy 42% of Thursday’s sales. Right now this Screen Gems/Sony Pictures’ urban comedy aimed squarely at African-Americans ages 13 to 49 is playing in only 2,017 locations but looking like $10M for today and an unexpected $26M-$28M for the weekend. “Think Like A Man is off to an excellent start. At this time it looks very similar to Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married?” a rival studio exec tells me. That’s far more than the $17M which Sony was predicting. “The movie had a negative cost between $12M-$13M so we’re thrilled,” a Sony exec emails me. “Any weekend where you make back the negative cost in the first weekend is a good weekend in our books.” Warner Bros’ romantic drama from Nicholas Sparks, The Lucky One starring Zac Efron, is looking like $7M-$9M today to overperform for an expected $20M-$24M weekend playing in 3,115 theaters. Both films right now are ahead of Lionsgate’s four-weekends-in-a-row winner The Hunger Games which is holding in 3,732 locations for #3. And nice matinee numbers came in for DisneyNature’s simian documentary Chimpanzee which is looking like a solid $8M for the weekend from 1,563 plays. Who can resist that cute face? Last year’s African Cats opened at $6M and went on to make $15.4M, and Oceans in 2010 opened with $6M and went on to earn $19.4M.

Edited by kayumanggi

Wow their supposed record breaking year will all be due to 2 movies.

I feel like WB got lazy, there only two blockbuster were Hobbit and TDKR. WOTT has a poor decision because of how the last one timed did. WB should done an original blockbuster for March and something else for June.