Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread 11/20-11/23 | #TUE - HGBOSS $6.5M, Trolls 3 $4.73M, Thanksgiving $1.59M, The Marvels $1.57M

34 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, this felt like a pretty obvious $40m 5 day OW - not sure why BOT kept downplaying it. The only real thing this had going against it was that KOTFM didn’t do as well as people hoped - so a lot of the pessimism for this felt like whiplash from that

My only worry is the mixed WOM I'm feeling it's gonna get. The RT critic score has dropped down to 66% with lots of reviews still to go. Worried it falls below rotten. And I just have to assume audiences are going to have a similar, if not harsher, response

Edit: 65% now :(

Edited by Pinacolada

6 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

My only worry is the mixed WOM I'm feeling it's gonna get. The RT critic score has dropped down to 66% with lots of reviews still to go. Worried it falls below rotten. And I just have to assume audiences are going to have a similar, if not harsher, response

Agreed. As someone who saw the movie yesterday, I expect poor WOM tbh. Nobody in my group liked it (and we all loved Oppenheimer and KOTFM)

Edited by Blue35
  • Thanks 1

It seems like general audiences are picking THG over The Marvels as the Thanksgiving movie to see. Families/kids will be going to either Wish or Trolls. And mainly adults will likely see Napoleon. Anyone hoping The Marvels could be saved by the holiday should probably stop now. 

Edited by babz06

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

KoTFM is definitely a flop. Whether if you have no intention to make money in cinema or you have a deep pocket to loss have nothing to do if a movie is making its money back from theatrical run. Those are two separate matters. 

If it was intended for theaters they would have ramped up the marketing for it and likely would have postponed the release date because it's the type of film that would have benefitted from Leo and others doing promotion.  Unlike 'The Marvels' who didn't have any star power to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not either/or.

For a $200M production, did they expect to make $700M WW - probably not, although hope springs eternal.

Did they expect to make $400M WW (2x budget) - probably.

Did they expect to make $200M WW (1x budget) - almost certainly.

Did they expect to go under $200M WW (less than 1x budget) - no, never!

And that's the discussion.  KOTFM is a theatrical fail b/c it didn't get 1x budget, let alone 2x budget.  2x, budget is probably why this was greenlit - enough to break even and bring prestige.  Apple didn't get close.

You work for Apple? Otherwise you can hardly say this type of specific expected numbers they had. 

What we can say is that it was green light as a streaming movie. How much it grossed doesn’t matter because the movie primarily exists only because they want it in a streaming platform.

It did get a glorified theatrical release, like they said, it was their interest to create a strong relationship with artists that cares about theatrical experience to get high quality projects on the platform.

But like i said the movie exists because of a streaming platform, it’s on theaters because they want to please Scorsese and Ridley, so it doesn’t matter if it’s a flop, and don’t get me wrong, it is a flop. I just found the discussions when it comes to how they’re disappointed pointless, it doesn’t matter how much they was expecting, the reason the movie exists is to bring prestige to their platform, which it will bring.

Edited by ThomasNicole

26 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not either/or.

For a $200M production, did they expect to make $700M WW - probably not, although hope springs eternal.

Did they expect to make $400M WW (2x budget) - probably.

Did they expect to make $200M WW (1x budget) - almost certainly.

Did they expect to go under $200M WW (less than 1x budget) - no, never!

And that's the discussion.  KOTFM is a theatrical fail b/c it didn't get 1x budget, let alone 2x budget.  2x, budget is probably why this was greenlit - enough to break even and bring prestige.  Apple didn't get close.

You really think they probably expected to get Scorsese's highest grossing film of all time? I mean, hope is free and all, but really?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Sheeesh. Between this and Triangle of Sadness I feel like I’m getting really out of touch with RT consensus’. I should say I’m innately biased as someone who’s always wanted to see a big Napoleon film (i probably would have spent all of thanksgiving rewatching barry lyndon and playing Napoleon total war if I wasn’t so busy these days), so maybe I’m more forgiving for some of its sins. I will admit that it still feels like a butchered theatrical cut

From what i read in the reviews, doesn’t sound like something that will hurt WOM 

I don’t think GP cares about strong historical accuracy or plot / pacing incoherences, which seems to be the biggest problem for critics that think the 4-hour cut should solve it. 

The movie seems to deliver on an spectacle and entertaining level

• Like 1

HG: BOSS continue to shape up like Crawdads' run. Not only the movie has a great Sunday hold (I assume was to offset the meh Saturday jump), the Monday hold is exceptionally great but that didn't kill much the Tuesday bump.

I know holiday moviegoing has never been the same post-Covid but HG: Boss could be really gunning for a sub-40% drop like the first FB. That should easily give this prequel 3x legs to at least $135m.

1 hour ago, Blue35 said:

Napoleon verified audience score starts at 69%

Not saying its not warranted because I haven't seen it, but Napoleon is one of those historical figures that a lot of weirdos idolize like Cleopatra so any movie that subverts their expectations of him they're gonna take personally.

• Like 2