Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

A holdover from last weekend taking the top spot over the new tentpoles over a Thanksgiving weekend is awful news for most of Hollywood and exhibition. There's no other way to spin it. Great for Lionsgate though! All three of their big tentpoles will have been successes and they can brag about being responsible for the #1 movie in America (and maybe the rest of the world) two weeks in a row. But yeah, the "worst weekend in 25 or however many years" headlines are not going to be pretty.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

A holdover from last weekend taking the top spot over the new tentpoles over a Thanksgiving weekend is awful news for most of Hollywood and exhibition. There's no other way to spin it. Great for Lionsgate though! All three of their big tentpoles will have been successes and they can brag about being responsible for the #1 movie in America (and maybe the rest of the world) two weeks in a row. But yeah, the "worst weekend in 25 or however many years" headlines are not going to be pretty.

Hollywood will be spared from the "worst Thanksgiving weekend in 25 years" headlines because Thanksgiving weekend is still gonna gross a decent amount more than last year and 2021, even if it is behind pre-COVID times.

At this point, I say let Wish burn. I have nothing against the movie, I haven’t seen it myself yet and still plan to this weekend. But as someone who worked at/managed multiple movie theaters from 2015-2022, the amount of egotistical bullying I witnessed from Disney towards exhibition was astonishing. Yes, when you have all the money and power, you will use it. 

But after some of the demands I’ve seen Disney make from theaters over the years, I have no problem seeing their films (or at least the mediocre or bad ones) tank. Hopefully it allows exhibition to have the power to say no to some of their demands, especially when other studios present much better offers.

Yea. So woohoo let’s go Napoleon! Lol

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

A holdover from last weekend taking the top spot over the new tentpoles over a Thanksgiving weekend is awful news for most of Hollywood and exhibition. 

It's not the fact that its a holdover winning because that happens pretty regularly, its that the holdover is from a movie which only made 45M on opening weekend. Normally if a holdover wins, it at least made 100M or so on OW.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

At this point, I say let Wish burn. I have nothing against the movie, I haven’t seen it myself yet and still plan to this weekend. But as someone who worked at/managed multiple movie theaters from 2015-2022, the amount of egotistical bullying I witnessed from Disney towards exhibition was astonishing. Yes, when you have all the money and power, you will use it. 

But after some of the demands I’ve seen Disney make from theaters over the years, I have no problem seeing their films (or at least the mediocre or bad ones) tank. Hopefully it allows exhibition to have the power to say no to some of their demands, especially when other studios present much better offers.

Yea. So woohoo let’s go Napoleon! Lol

Disney has been carrying the exhibitions for a while a while already...... I don't think you understand how many theaters are at risk of closing down if Disney keeps producing flops and bombs. Napoleon is being hyped a lot for a film which is still going to be a flop.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Seems people are actually listening to the reviews for Wish which you would think would be the last type of movie people would pay attention to reviews for.

Many families staying home and watching Moana for the 1000th time on D+. Disney's plan pushing D+ working out too well.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Seems people are actually listening to the reviews for Wish which you would think would be the last type of movie people would pay attention to reviews for.

WDAS getting bad reviews has always been a death knell for their big-budgeted, original projects. See what happened to Atlantis, Treasure Planet etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Many families staying home and watching Moana for the 1000th time on D+. Disney's plan pushing D+ working out too well.

I don't think people realize the repercussions for this mean less and less younger people going to movies because they'll have grown up on streaming. FNAF didn't get affected because the fanbase was old enough that they still grew up on theaters. But in five years, there's going to be a sharp decline in all kid's films, that won't just affect Disney.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Disney has been carrying the exhibitions for a while a while already...... I don't think you understand how many theaters are at risk of closing down if Disney keeps producing flops and bombs. Napoleon is being hyped a lot for a film which is still going to be a flop.

Wowie zowie, almost like having one movie studio commanding 30% of the market share was actually a terrible thing all along and bad for all parties.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Think again, WDAS has been synonymous with quality for about 15 years now. A rotten one was likely shocking to most people. 

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Saw Wish tonight and it is absurdly average, like it was spat out by an AI machine as to what a Disney movie is supposed to be like. Think I might've actually liked Strange World more (and I wasn't over the moon about that one either).

Disney's 100 Year Celebration ended up being not much of one at the multiplex if you ask me.

It’s certainly alarming how many times I’ve seen this “Did AI write a Disney movie?” sentiment in both critic and user reviews online for Wish… kinda makes you start to wonder tbh. Not even sure if I’ll be seeing this one in theaters at this point. What I hear just doesn’t sound appealing and I was always on the fence through the whole marketing campaign. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s certainly alarming how many times I’ve seen this “Did AI write a Disney movie?” sentiment in both critic and user reviews online for Wish… kinda makes you start to wonder tbh. Not even sure if I’ll be seeing this one in theaters at this point. What I hear just doesn’t sound appealing and I was always on the fence through the whole marketing campaign. 

Yeah, AI wrote Wish, the AI's name is Jennifer Lee.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

“Did AI write a Disney movie?”

And, if people are wondering, I don't actually think the new version is AI. For one, these characters are based on the Park mascots, and AI hasn't been proven to recreate the exact look of something real, much less 11 mascots. Seriously, look at how Max actually looks like at Disneyland or Disney World. But I digress...

• Astonished 1

Spoiler

Title: "The Enchanted Symphony"

Synopsis: In the whimsical kingdom of Melodia, where magic and music intertwine, a young and spirited musician named Aria dreams of composing the greatest symphony the world has ever heard. However, Melodia has been suffering from a puzzling curse that has silenced the enchanted instruments and dulled the vibrant melodies that once filled the land.

Aria's journey begins when she discovers an ancient, forgotten melody hidden within her grandmother's music box. As she plays the tune, a magical rift opens, transporting her to a mystical realm where musical notes dance in the air and instruments come to life.

There, she meets Harmony, a mischievous yet charming musical sprite, who informs her about the curse that has befallen Melodia. The only way to break the curse is to collect the scattered pieces of the "Symphony of Ancients" – a legendary composition that embodies the purest form of music and magic.

Joined by a motley crew of musical creatures – a courageous drumming bear, a melodious songbird, and a quirky accordion-playing gnome – Aria and Harmony embark on an epic quest across enchanting landscapes and treacherous obstacles. Along the way, they encounter trials that test their harmony, courage, and teamwork.

As they gather the scattered notes of the Symphony of Ancients, they must also outwit Discordia, a cunning sorceress who seeks to claim the symphony's power for her selfish desires. Discordia unleashes dissonance and chaos, attempting to thwart Aria and her friends at every turn.

Through determination, friendship, and the unifying power of music, Aria learns that the true magic lies not only in the notes themselves but in the harmony they create together. In a breathtaking crescendo of bravery and melody, Aria conducts the Symphony of Ancients, breaking the curse and restoring Melodia's lost magic.

In the grand finale, Aria and her newfound friends perform the symphony, filling the kingdom with an awe-inspiring harmony that rekindles the magic of Melodia, bringing joy and enchantment to all.

"The Enchanted Symphony" celebrates the beauty of music, the strength of friendship, and the triumph of harmony over discord in a mesmerizing Disney adventure for all ages.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think Wish is hitting 40m this weekend. By my calc it could barely hit 4m today and presales look meh for tomorrow. 

I just put the $4M Thursday number into my tracker for Wish's 5-day against all the big Thanksgiving releases from 2010 onward + Treasure Planet... and YIKES.

• Most comps are pointing towards a 5-day in the neighbourhood of $35M
  • Penguins of Madagascar and Rise of the Guardians are the highest comps here which at $38.7M and $37.7M respectively. The Muppets falls a bit lower at $32.5M, but its also the only live-action movie in this set
  • The three more recent comps are even worse though. Strange World and Encanto comps point toward a ~$31M 5-day, but the silver lining is that unlike Sing 2 and Puss in Boots 2, Migration doesn't have EA screenings on Saturday AFAIK so the Saturday hold might go a bit better. Wish still has to deal with Trolls eating away at its audience for its entire run though so I don't know how much that will matter.
  • The Croods 2 comp points towards a 5-day below Encanto's 3-day, but I don't think it's a good comp here since it was the only one to increase on Thursday and didn't have any previews to speak of
  • The 3-days are all pretty awful here. It's mostly in the range of $20M-$25M, with Strange World, Encanto, and The Croods 2 comps pointing towards sub-$20M
  • Thanks 1

My mind is truly blown by how many all-time bombs Disney will have in one year. Much like their 2019 can likely never happen again for a studio, I don’t think their 2023 ever can either. Just two opposite extremes.

If Gunn hadn’t delivered and they didn’t move Snow White out of Feb (which was looking destined to bomb), I’m not sure they could handle all this. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Someone will show up to fill that niche. There’s always just that transition period. And who knows, maybe it’s Disney themselves who do it.

Theaters rely on hits. It just so happens that those hits were produced largely by Disney the last 10 years. But someone else (my money’s on Universal) will show up to make those hits again.

• Like 3