Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It should be at least 70 when it’s done. I feel like it could add 20-30 with an awards release given it’s an awards frontrunner and what else is out during Oscar season? 

How??? Even before Covid this feat is extremely difficult for a movie that isn't a platform Oscar title.  Gravity added near 20m, the martian added just 2m; Bohemian with 14m and Arrival / Ford v Ferrari about 6m. 

At this point I am only confident with 70m

There’s an unfortunate aversion to having female leads with romantic plots. This is because of the perception women were just the romantic elements in male dominated films and nothing more. Of course the problem here is that the male do instead films still have men generally with romantic relationships.

It doesn’t need to be a core feature but you do need female characters that represent and can connect with audiences. I don’t want to bang on about The Marvels but it’s the perfect capsule for this.

Ms Marvel is supposed to be 16 but she is portrayed as an older pre-teen. No girls are going to connect with that. Compare her to let’s say Wednesday which is a massive hit (especially family audiences who are watching together) and it’s honestly laughably bad what Marvel are doing.

Monica as far as I can tell is entirely characterless and seems to just be defined by her job. Hardly illuminating female writing.

Captain Marvel I understand has multiple elements of past romances but these are all off screen. Also, and this is hilarious - she’s presented as a cat lady. That’s her only strong relationship.

Characters either need to be sexually active or part of their character addresses why this is not the case. Guardians 3 has a romantic storyline all about rejection. But it needs to be addressed. 

i.e. your characters need to be human and your 16 y/o needs to act like one.

For Disney Frozen is a perfect example. You have characters acting their age (coming of age in this case with nativity and strife that goes with it) both with your male and female characters. Good and bad.

• Like 8
  • Heart 1

Just got home from Thanksgiving. It’s basically Eli Roth does Scream, and for the most part it’s genuinely effective. Probably my favourite Roth film (although the bar isn’t super high for me). 

Final reveal kind of lacks, but the whodunnit leading up is a lot of fun. The kills are inventive and there’s some great tension and atmosphere. Hoping this racks up a couple more bucks before it’s done.

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

There's a sentiment among younger audiences that romantic subplots take up space without advancing the plot in movies. It's a generation brain poisoned by Cinemasins to think that movies and TV shows are pretty much just all plot all the time. That's why "filler episodes" where the plot didn't advance and we just got to know the characters by hanging out with them don't exist on streaming shows anymore. 

Actors don't like romantic subplots either like Jenna Ortega saying she hated that Wednesday had a love interest, and Hollywood thinks that giving action heroes and heroines love interests makes them seem weak which is why no superhero movies even hint at romance anymore.

I don't think Jenna Ortega saying she hated that Wednesday had a love interest is indicative of her hating love interests in general lmao, it was just out of place for that specific character and she's right.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kon said:

I don't think younger audience aren't interested in stories with romance. In fact, most current shows in streaming for teenagers/YA have romance at some level.

I remember a poll that tried to show Gen Z wasn't interested on romance, but they seemed to be twisting the answers for their argument:

51% of the 1,500 young Americans surveyed said they wanted to see more platonic relationships while 47.5% said sex "isn't needed" for most TV shows and movies. 

44% said romance is "overused" and "unnecessary" for the plot. 

This still mean 52.5% said sex "is needed" for most TV shows and movies. And 56% don't think romance is "overused" or "unnecessary" for the plot.

Not to mention that 51% wanting to see more platonic relationship doesn't necessarily mean they aren't interested on romance (we don't know what questions were asked).

I've seen people bring up that poll before to mock Gen Z (we as a culture need to stop this whole "This generation sux" crap. Seriously), but the thing is that UCLA was polling people as young as 13. So literal children. Like there's a big difference in young folks' interest in sex when they are high schoolers compared to when they are in their 20s. I was repulsed by sex 10 years ago. Now I'm 26 and it doesn't phase me even a little. I even find myself writing the occasional self-fiction with fictional characters I like. :lol:

3 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

I saw The Hunger Games: Ballad Of Songbirds & Snakes. Enjoyed it!

Definitely have a lot of thoughts to unpack, but I guess I should check out the book, hmm.

@Eric Bonaparte Did you like it, boo? @Spidey Freak How about you?

Haven't seen it. Wanted to earlier today, but I was so tired and my sleep schedule has been out of whack since I'm working overnights during the holidays. My body can't handle staying up that late and needs extra rest. Hopefully I can see it Sunday the 26th, but I don't know. Want to get to it soon tho!

• Heart 1

Maybe i’m in my positive era but i’m pleased overall. 

41M for THG is pretty great after the opening, probably locks 150M for a likely 160-170M final 

25M for Trolls is pretty solid, can try 120M final 

Even 33M for Napoleon i think it’s pretty good. It would probably try 100M if the movie was better received, but let’s see. 

The only true disaster is Wish.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So I assume Rachel Zegler might finally get a successful movie with Hunger Games, not flop at the very least?

As far as its performance in USA+CANADA goes yes, but it's still a flop internationally (there is no thanksgiving boost in EU/SA/Asia so it is dropping quite a bit from its opening weekend that was pretty bad in most countries and straight-up disaster in Asia). Given the very restrained budget, the WW gross will be decent enough though, saved by its  overall good domestic performance. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

I think people don't mind romance with female characters as the lead.

Chris Pine and Gal Gadot in Wonderwomen are good examples.

From what I read even from many women themselves as a lot of the female led movies that bomb or don't do well is cause the characters are unrelatable and don't follow a heroes journey.

People like to see thier heroes or main characters have flaws...weakness and face great hardships and adversity.

That why audiences connected to wonder women and Barbie vs Capain Marvel.

Like I read people think a strong women like gal Godot falling so much in love was silly but I think it made her human to audiences.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

There's a sentiment among younger audiences that romantic subplots take up space without advancing the plot in movies. It's a generation brain poisoned by Cinemasins to think that movies and TV shows are pretty much just all plot all the time. That's why "filler episodes" where the plot didn't advance and we just got to know the characters by hanging out with them don't exist on streaming shows anymore. 

Actors don't like romantic subplots either like Jenna Ortega saying she hated that Wednesday had a love interest, and Hollywood thinks that giving action heroes and heroines love interests makes them seem weak which is why no superhero movies even hint at romance anymore.

Issue is romance is a powerful narrative tool audiences love. It does not have to be about starting a romance and sex scenes..a character fighting for or giving up a romance for a greater good really is powerful.

Look at endgame the two main characters iron man and captain America in the film.

Iron man gave up his love and his daughter to save everyone but can tell he was sad to do it.

Captain America after saving the universe just wanted to be with his love.

No way home...spiderman had to give hiS love with zendaya to save everyone.

Took those elements out and rhe films are much weaker.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe i’m in my positive era but i’m pleased overall. 

41M for THG is pretty great after the opening, probably locks 150M for a likely 160-170M final 

25M for Trolls is pretty solid, can try 120M final 

Even 33M for Napoleon i think it’s pretty good. It would probably try 100M if the movie was better received, but let’s see. 

The only true disaster is Wish.

this is very solid all round. With the exception of Wish where a new Disney Thanksgiving animation is no longer the event it was.  Their own fault. 

• Like 2

I dont think the problem is that people have issues with female characters that are involved in a romantic (sub)plot.

I think the issue is that people dont like badly written and bland female characters like the ones we see so often in many (wannabe) blockbuster movies.