Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

I had forgotten Good Dinosaur was a TG release … and Wish can’t even come close to that 

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

If the titles for 1 & 3 were swapped, HG:BoSS having a standard week 2 drop with holiday effect, Wish doing a little bit better than Encanto, while Napoleon and Thanksgiving exceeding expectations to a degree and Trolls doing it’s thing

… would that change the way anyone felt about this weekend’s box office? Feels to me like the doom & gloom mood is a bit high considering results in the aggregate 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Can't believe we lose two "supposed-locked" 100m movie in November coming from same studio. Luckily Trolls 3 is there to help the situation, I thought that movie will have a hard time going to 100m for releasing this close to WIsh. Now I know why they never take Disney seriously.  

Universal's animation studios can no longer be doubted - they have taken over the top GA audience spot for the 2020s.  

Now, that overall GA audience level is lower than the 2010s, but we've discussed why ad nauseum.  Suffice it to say, it's now other studios who will now have to move for Universal's animated products, not vice versa.

We have been speaking about Disney trying to avoid romance for female lead movies.

I just discovered the early plans for Wish seems to include Star taking a (good looking) male humanoid form, but these plans were scrapped.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

That good or bad?

I was a bit disappointed by the Friday jump tbh, was hoping for more but again the movie literally called Thanskgiving, for sure some of the boost will come from Thursday itself already. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

People who are more knowledgeable about INT markets, what are we thinking this ends up with? O/U Killers of the Flower Moon?

I’m not the person to ask, but these estimates put it at roughly half of KOTFM (both Dom & total) after just 5 days, would think that it should be able to beat it in the end?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Universal's animation studios can no longer be doubted - they have taken over the top GA audience spot for the 2020s.  

Now, that overall GA audience level is lower than the 2010s, but we've discussed why ad nauseum.  Suffice it to say, it's now other studios who will now have to move for Universal's animated products, not vice versa.

I mean, let's not forget (easy as it may be) that they did put out Ruby Gillman and its pathetic $15M total earlier this year. :lol: People have just become more pick-and-choose-y than ever re: moviegoing spending choices.

• Haha 1

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I have a question: Why does Thanksgiving Sunday often drops so much from Saturday? Movies from previous year always fall 40-50%, which is a lot.

it is at the end of holiday week. People are traveling back and getting ready to go back to school/work. So drop tends to be worse than a normal fall sunday. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, M37 said:

I had forgotten Good Dinosaur was a TG release … and Wish can’t even come close to that 

If the titles for 1 & 3 were swapped, HG:BoSS having a standard week 2 drop with holiday effect, Wish doing a little bit better than Encanto, while Napoleon and Thanksgiving exceeding expectations to a degree and Trolls doing it’s thing

… would that change the way anyone felt about this weekend’s box office? Feels to me like the doom & gloom mood is a bit high considering results in the aggregate 

Wish even at 41m would be just meh. BO.com projections even this week was at 39m for 3 day weekend and around 55m for 5 day. I think anything below 50m for a holiday long weekend is meh. 

Hunger Games prequel is doing good but would be lucky to hit 150m unless it continues to have great holds. That is still not a great November. At least 1 movie should have hit 200m. It was not due to lack of content either. 

• Like 2