Borobudur

Weekdays Thread: Boy and the Heron-Mon:1.19m, Tue: 1.46m, Wed: 1.3m

I don’t like being the “negative one” in a thread but I wasn’t a fan of Heron. Looked and sounded beautiful, but the story and characters just didn’t work for me the way most Ghibli films do. Other than a few chuckles here and there, the audience I saw it with was also pretty subdued.

I don’t think my experience is going to be indicative of WOM but I also don’t expect the same holds as -1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don’t like being the “negative one” in a thread but I wasn’t a fan of Heron. Looked and sounded beautiful, but the story and characters just didn’t work for me the way most Ghibli films do. Other than a few chuckles here and there, the audience I saw it with was also pretty subdued.

I don’t think my experience is going to be indicative of WOM but I also don’t expect the same holds as -1

Imo, even if Heron would have as great WOM as Minus One, it probably woudnt be able to achieve the same kind of holds. Anime and especially Ghibli films are still too niche for that, while Godzilla in itself is a well-known property and Minus One as a live-action movie is more accessible for many people than an anime film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I dunno. Maybe they were subdued because it's not a loud and boisterous movie.

I also don't think it will be as big as Godzilla but I don't think it will crash and burn either.

• Like 1

My hope for Boy and the Heron is that Miyazaki has significantly more name recognition among mainstream audiences than most anime films do, so hopefully when people hear that a new Miyazaki movie is out (and good!) that will inspire some more casual viewers to check it out, the way that "there's a good Godzilla movie out!" has G-1 over-performing. Not that I expect it to hold nearly as well as that has, but a soft enough drop to stay in wide release into the new year would be cool.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WeDark said:

I never took CS as be all and end all. This got B+ but is playing so well across demos while some movies that played super well with one demo only and got A or A+ from it cratered when the demo got exhausted. Context is everything. That's why I'm cautious about arthouse movies in limited release with high CS too. Niche crowd that is ready to love a movie vs broad audience that goes WTF did I just watch? Happened with Aster. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I never took CS as be all and end all. This got B+ but is playing so well across demos while some movies that played super well with one demo only and got A or A+ from it cratered when the demo got exhausted. Context is everything. That's why I'm cautious about arthouse movies in limited release with high CS too. Niche crowd that is ready to love a movie vs broad audience that goes WTF did I just watch? Happened with Aster. 

CinemaScore is just a datapoint. Mostly, it also doesn't capture just how much this movie went viral after its release. It was somewhat hyped, but the OW wasn't crazy, but Tik Tok going crazy for it after it came out definitely made it a lot leggier

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Chamber of Secrets being the only Potter film to get an A+ CS too when we all know DH2, GoF, and PoA got significantly stronger WOM. Even PS. But CoS ended on everyone reuniting and Dumbledore cancelling all exams lol