Borobudur

Weekdays Thread: Boy and the Heron-Mon:1.19m, Tue: 1.46m, Wed: 1.3m

11 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

CinemaScore is just a datapoint. Mostly, it also doesn't capture just how much this movie went viral after its release. It was somewhat hyped, but the OW wasn't crazy, but Tik Tok going crazy for it after it came out definitely made it a lot leggier

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

Chamber of Secrets being the only Potter film to get an A+ CS too when we all know DH2, GoF, and PoA got significantly stronger WOM. Even PS. But CoS ended on everyone reuniting and Dumbledore cancelling all exams lol

I see! Thanks guys! Also, movies that play to limited demo tend to get high scores casue they target specific one so easier to hit high marks which doesn't mean that a movie will play well outside of it. Like Aster lol.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I see! Thanks guys! Also, movies that play to limited demo tend to get high scores casue they target specific one so easier to hit high marks which doesn't mean that a movie will play well outside of it. Like Aster lol.

CinemaScore is also heavily genre-dependant. If a Superhero movie gets a B+, thats basically already a disaster, whereas a horror movie getting the same grade is extremely rare and excellent. CinemaScore used to be a metric i payed very close attention to, but nowadays i see it as just one indicator among many how good the movies reception is and like i said, its important to know what CS is good/bad for each genre.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

CinemaScore is also heavily genre-dependant. If a Superhero movie gets a B+, thats basically already a disaster, whereas a horror movie getting the same grade is extremely rare and excellent. CinemaScore used to be a metric i payed very close attention to, but nowadays i see it as just one indicator among many how good the movies reception is and like i said, its important to know what CS is good/bad for each genre.

another excellent point! 

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Million is back!! 

never have I been so happy to be wrong. I thought BOSAS would flop before the trailer cause I didn't realise how big thirst for young Snow was. :rofl: Than the trailer came out and was surprisingly excellent I was like this has a chance if Lionsgate plays its cards right. And they did! Great movie, very happy it's legging out. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Heart 1

The Boy and the Heron passed Ponyo at the box office on Tuesday ($15.7M to $15.1M), so it's now Miyazaki's highest grossing film in the US. Next stop is Ghibli's highest grossing, Arrietty ($19.2M), which it will easily pass by the end of the weekend even if it has Suzume-esque drops.

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i had no idea Arriety was the biggest ghibli film in the US. that's kinda weird. I've never seen it. I feel like nobody ever even talks about that one.

I remember marketing for it being everywhere when I was a kid.

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i had no idea Arriety was the biggest ghibli film in the US. that's kinda weird. I've never seen it. I feel like nobody ever even talks about that one.

Yeah, it pretty much entirely comes down to it having by far the widest release for a Ghibli film (in fact, at its peak it was wider than The Boy and the Heron) and Disney actually putting their marketing machine behind it. They had experimented with that for Ponyo, which got a semi-wide release and had that Disney family marketing, then were emboldened enough to go all the way for Arrietty. Seems to have had diminished returns, though, because despite having three times as many theaters and undoubtedly was more widely marketed, it only surpassed Ponyo by a few million.