Borobudur

Weekdays Thread: Boy and the Heron-Mon:1.19m, Tue: 1.46m, Wed: 1.3m

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i had no idea Arriety was the biggest ghibli film in the US. that's kinda weird. I've never seen it. I feel like nobody ever even talks about that one.

Only Ghibli movie I’ve ever been bored to death with and disliked (though haven’t seen a few of their “lesser” like Earthsea and Ocean Waves). 

It got a big marketing push from Disney at the time I remember, and as a later Ghibli release before they mostly went dormant a decade ago, had the advantage of being at the beginning of Ghibli’s real popularity domestically. 

How often does mojo and The Numbers update international totals? Seems like -1 hasn’t been updated on The Numbers in weeks, and mojo is a bit behind as well. I thought I noticed mojo updates on Wednesdays at some point? -1 I believe should be around 30m internationally. I just like to see updated numbers lol 

6.6 for -1 this weekend would be crazy good. 

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I expect every holdover has a decent good hold this weekend since Wonka isn't some 100m+ juggernaut like the one we saw with NWH and ATOW.

Fingers crossed. I want BOTSAS to make all the money it can. Thanks to 100M budget, it's already making small profit after passing the breakeven point. So lets go!

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

How often does mojo and The Numbers update international totals? Seems like -1 hasn’t been updated on The Numbers in weeks, and mojo is a bit behind as well. I thought I noticed mojo updates on Wednesdays at some point? -1 I believe should be around 30m internationally. I just like to see updated numbers lol 

6.6 for -1 this weekend would be crazy good. 

I don’t think this is numbers or mojo, just Toho not reporting international totals. I don’t think it’s deliberate, like they’re trying to hide something, just a reflection of the (generously) half-baked global rollout they did after the movie blew up in the U.S. They did have releases scheduled for the UK and Brazil for the 15th as part of the initial plan, so hopefully we will get some updates early next week.

41 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

I don’t think this is numbers or mojo, just Toho not reporting international totals. I don’t think it’s deliberate, like they’re trying to hide something, just a reflection of the (generously) half-baked global rollout they did after the movie blew up in the U.S. They did have releases scheduled for the UK and Brazil for the 15th as part of the initial plan, so hopefully we will get some updates early next week.

Hey look at that it was updated on bom. Pretty sure it’s updated on Wednesdays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why does it feel like so many critics against Wonka? So many reviews I've read are hung up on the prequel aspect of the film, as if folks really care about continuity between it and the 70s film.

When you set an expectation and don't meet it, you annoy folks.

If it was never a prequel, no one would care.  But if you call yourself a prequel, that brings built in fanbase, but also built in expectations.

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why does it feel like so many critics against Wonka? So many reviews I've read are hung up on the prequel aspect of the film, as if folks really care about continuity between it and the 70s film.

It has an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But the movie has great reviews for this kind of film…. unless you were expecting Paddington reception? It’s just not a realistic bar though, 2 is one of the best mainstream reviewed movies in RT history. 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Only Ghibli movie I’ve ever been bored to death with and disliked (though haven’t seen a few of their “lesser” like Earthsea and Ocean Waves). 

It got a big marketing push from Disney at the time I remember, and as a later Ghibli release before they mostly went dormant a decade ago, had the advantage of being at the beginning of Ghibli’s real popularity domestically. 

Ocean Waves is pretty good imo. Kind of a normal high school romance thing but I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ocean Waves is pretty good imo. Kind of a normal high school romance thing but I enjoyed it. 

As a non Miyazaki or Takahata Ghibli that I’ve never heard praise for, I’ve always just kinda ignored it. Marnie is a fav as far as no Miyazaki/Takahata though. 

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Fingers crossed. I want BOTSAS to make all the money it can. Thanks to 100M budget, it's already making small profit after passing the breakeven point. So lets go!

I hope Lionsgate can postpone the digital release date to after New Year. The rumours has it going to digital on Dec 19 but no official confirmation yet. If Lionsgate follow JW4, BOSS should only hit digital in mid-January next year.

9 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

When you set an expectation and don't meet it, you annoy folks.

If it was never a prequel, no one would care.  But if you call yourself a prequel, that brings built in fanbase, but also built in expectations.

When was this movie called a prequel? I've read people saying this was promoted as a prequel to the 70s movie, but I don't remember the studios saying that.

59 minutes ago, Kon said:

When was this movie called a prequel? I've read people saying this was promoted as a prequel to the 70s movie, but I don't remember the studios saying that.

Anecdotal observation from Chinese social media platform, apparently it was either promoted as a prequel to Depp's version or they didn't clarify it was a prequel to the 1971 version, so a lot of people were disappointed. It still had decent reviews in China though I think.

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I'm about 95% certain this is related to contracts. Basically, it's obviously 95% indistinguishable from an "original"/fresh adaptation but how it's precisely described has real financial impacts to people.

The 70s movie is clearly cited due to lawyers getting involved. The complain between Villgae Roadshow and WB (mostly over HBOMax prioritization in covid) alleges a longer history of Village Roadshow talking with WB about making this "prequel." They cite "Chalamet sporting the same signature dark-colored top hat and dark purple overcoat as did Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" though contesting various facts (Wonka's father, Oompa Loompa-Wonka working timeline) aren't the same as the 2005 film. 

WB’s efforts to promote its own interests at the expense of Village Roadshow [include] various schemes to deprive Village Roadshow of its continuing rights to co-own and co-invest in the Derivative Works from the films it co-owns. Recently, after acknowledging—in writing—that its tellingly named upcoming film, Wonka, was a prequel to Village Roadshow’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, WB did an aboutface, claiming the prequel was not a prequel and the original picture, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, was not one in which Village Roadshow had unqualified Derivative Rights. WB’s tortured excuses do not hold up to even the lightest scrutiny

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Village-Roadshow-Complaint-with-Exhibits_FINAL.pdf

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

BOTSAS success shows that Lionsgate made a huge mistake to split MJ in 2. I believe that it would've made near a billie if it stayed one movie cause hype for the series was so big. Even though it didn't have the main attraction - games - it was the conclusion so people would have shown up. Split took the wind out of its sails. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:
1 N The Boy and the Heron GKIDS $13,011,722   2,205   $5,901 $13,011,722 1

Did anyone notice GKIDS updated their "actual" BO again for Heron? It was 12.97m but now is 13.01m OW,

Probably added some of that limited NY/LA gross to make it over $13 million for OW. Kinda shady