Issac Newton

Aquaman &The Lost Kingdom | $294.6M OS | $412.7M WW

Aquaman seem to have avoided the total bomb status. The movie managed to make 2.3x from OW on the worldwide level despite China is actively dragging down its hold. First week of January is still a summer break in large part of LATAM and holiday still going in European, 380m WW is where I see is heading. A tight race between this and BA. 

International % drop to 69% from 74%. I expect that ratio to remain stable from now on. To get to 400m, the NA should do at least 120m. 

• Like 1

Breaking down the frame, Warner Bros/DC’s Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom generated an estimated $50.5M from 77 overseas markets, a 33% holdover drop from its opening last weekend. The offshore running cume is now $173.6M and the global cume to date is $258.3M (which includes Monday estimates for the domestic holiday).

Individual market holds were strong including France (+55%), Germany (+51%), Italy (+17%), Holland (-7%), Brazil (-9%), Mexico (-11%), UK (-12%), Spain (-23%), Taiwan (-32%), Malaysia (-39%) and Singapore (-39%).

In new play, Australia debuted to an estimated $5.7M at No. 1. The results are 13% ahead of Black Adam, 30% over Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania and more than double the opening weekend of The Flash and Meg 2: The Trench. The film has already surpassed the lifetime gross of The Marvels in the market.

The global running cume in Imax is $25.6M with Monday’s holiday included. Japan is the last market to release on January 12. The Top 5 to date are: China ($45.8M), Mexico ($12.7M), France ($9M), Germany ($8.4M) and Indonesia ($7.9M).

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Still a flop but its going to avoid bomb territory. Mediocre finish to DCEU. At least its going to double the other SH movie released this quarter 🙂

The sequel to the highest grossing DC movie bombing like this isn't mediocre, it's straight up terrible, it also continues DCEU's 8 film-flop streak

42 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

The sequel to the highest grossing DC movie bombing like this isn't mediocre, it's straight up terrible, it also continues DCEU's 8 film-flop streak

Nah. Franchise is DEAD. this is the last movie and that is not a team up event or anything. There was no scenario where this movie would have done well. 

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nah. Franchise is DEAD. this is the last movie and that is not a team up event or anything. There was no scenario where this movie would have done well. 

I don't know why being the last movie is an excuse, NTTD was the last Craig Bond movie and people knew it would reboot afterwards, it still didn't bomb, going from the highest grossing to DC movie to a big flop is pretty bad.

Aquaman is definitely a flop but it's also doing a lot better than most initially thought. I think it's fair to be happy about that. Holds are strong overseas and decent domestically. Right now I'm just excited to see it potentially outgross Black Adam. 

1 hour ago, Veclozy said:

I don't know why being the last movie is an excuse, NTTD was the last Craig Bond movie and people knew it would reboot afterwards, it still didn't bomb, going from the highest grossing to DC movie to a big flop is pretty bad.

That was made as a finale and a send off for Craig's bond. This is just a dead end. it does not do anything being the last movie of the franchise. If DC decided to end it with a justice league level team up finishing the characters and it flopped its a big deal. This is just crappily made movie left to die by WB. They did not even bother having a premier for the movie and both Wan/Mamoa were somber about it rather than being excited about the sequel. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That was made as a finale and a send off for Craig's bond. This is just a dead end. it does not do anything being the last movie of the franchise. If DC decided to end it with a justice league level team up finishing the characters and it flopped its a big deal. This is just crappily made movie left to die by WB. They did not even bother having a premier for the movie and both Wan/Mamoa were somber about it rather than being excited about the sequel. 

Yep which is why it's so funny that it's doing better than The Flash, the DC movie WB actually put all their money into

6 hours ago, dallas said:

Yep which is why it's so funny that it's doing better than The Flash, the DC movie WB actually put all their money into

It is doing better because of Christmas/winter holidays. If this had released in the summer it would have done the marvels numbers at best. 

Yeh I can’t lie, I’m really surprised by the decent international numbers. That Australia start is solid. 

$350m+ seems where it’s headed now, when I initially would’ve said it would be lucky to get to $250m. 

13 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

It is doing better because of Christmas/winter holidays. If this had released in the summer it would have done the marvels numbers at best. 

I doubt that. As internationally the film is much more appreciated than The Marvels. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dallas said:

Will probably pass $400M and could make a play at $420-450M. 

More like 385-415 mill IMO. Don`t see it coming near 450 mill

Edited by fmpro

4 hours ago, fmpro said:

More like 385-415 mill IMO. Don`t see it coming near 450 mill

yeah, I agree with the 380m range. If aquaman is holding up like NWH post-holiday it should settle around 375-380 range. 420-450 would requires some avatar-level kind of hold. I have a hard time to believe aquaman will hold as good as these titles since their WOM are totally in different band. 

Do have to highlight that TLJ trash like hold would lead Aquaman to 330m final.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Very very strong hold for aquaman 2, holding almost as good as avatar 2 last year in its first post new year weekend and way better than NWH. 

400m is now more certain than ever. 

honestly somewhat impressive; the dead dceu looking to do 2.1x the marvels with its final movie