Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How did she get John Lasseter's old job, just from Frozen? At least on the Pixar side, Pete Docter had a number of successes.

At the time she was a pretty big no brainer. They didn't really have anyone else and Frozen was one of their most successful productions in awhile. Plus the optics of putting a woman in charge in the aftermath of the Lass ouster helped I'm sure.

I do still think she has value in the role if only because Frozen remains the juggernaut IP it is, but they could definitely use some kind of outside consultation at this point.

21 minutes ago, AniNate said:

At the time she was a pretty big no brainer. They didn't really have anyone else and Frozen was one of their most successful productions in awhile. Plus the optics of putting a woman in charge in the aftermath of the Lass ouster helped I'm sure.

I do still think she has value in the role if only because Frozen remains the juggernaut IP it is, but they could definitely use some kind of outside consultation at this point.

As someone who doesn't think Pete Docter deserved it (but at least can understand the decision), I definitely don't think Lee deserves it off a single juggernaut IP.

Lasseter was a walking HR disaster for the company, but he was also one of the masterminds behind Pixar, and arguably saved the WDAS at a time they most needed it. But also, I think he's also the reason why WDAS didn't have anyone set up a the company to be a good successor, so... it's a mixed bag. Disney brought this on themselves.

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Godzilla -1 probably has $5-6m left in the DOM tank, just enough to push -1 ahead of Shin Godzilla's $78 WW!

Nice! I thought -1 was a million times better than Shin.

Good to see the early estimates of it dropping Monday vs. Sunday were wrong. They looked off to me from the start.

Monday would push it to $74.8m WW per mojo, pending international updates. Might creep past Shin before the weekend, though we may not know it officially.

• Like 1

Evidence of the movie’s strength in the South can be seen in its top 10 theaters yesterday which were 1. Regal Atlantic Station Atlanta, 2. Marcus Country Club Hills Chicago, 3. AMC Southlake Pavilion Atlanta, 4. Malco Paradiso Cinema Grill Memphis, 5. AMC Parkway Point Atlanta, 6. AMC Hoffman Washington DC, 7. Regal McDonough Atlanta, 8. AMC Camp Creek Atlanta, 9. Cinemark Egyptian Baltimore, and 10. Cinemark Carson Los Angeles

5 of the top 10 locations for The Color Purple were in Atlanta. Cool to see Chicago make an appearance as well (and not even in the city proper, it's a pretty unassuming southern suburb theater)

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A cinemascore really fit this movie, I hope more families will come to discover this original fare.

Ended up not as overestimated as the Jat report might've indicated, but still a pretty good increase. Continues to improve its multiplier compared to Ferdinand, though will be interesting to see what happens today w discount Tuesday. Ferdinand jumped up from $2.8 mil to $4 million and remained around there until New Year's Eve.

Key for Migration will be how long it's able to hold onto its ultra wide release. Ferdinand dropped below 3,000 theaters in mid-January when Paddington 2 came out, but Puss 2 was able to hold on through mid-February. I wouldn't think the Pixar rereleases would be that big of competition, but I can see Disney perhaps bullying theaters into giving Soul their Migration screens.

1 hour ago, YM! said:

WOM and reviews sucked largely because the movie was mediocre and the songs sucked (also I think at this point, we can say Jennifer Lee isn’t a good storyteller). It was very mediocre. For a minute, it was on pace for a 50m five day tracking wise, then reviews gave it the first Rotten in almost twenty years putting it back on the 40m train and then audience WOM sucked outside of families plummeting to barely 30m.

I'd say Raya and Encanto had the pandemic excuse for not doing better, but Strange World and Wish flopping is entirely on Jennifer Lee.

One failure us a fluke, two is a coincidence, and three is a pattern. If next WDAS movie flops, Iger is going to have Lee fired and replaced by another woman. Whatever WDAS is doing now is just not working. 

14 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Brad Bird, at the time, but he's a Lasseter loyalist, so that would never have happened.

I'm not sure Brad Bird would even want the job... or if he was even an Employee of Pixar? He was a Pixar outsider when he came in to do The Incredibles.

I might've said Clements/Musker could've been good leadership for Disney, but they retired themselves soon after so I guess they wouldn't have been interested.

Hindsight is 20/20 w Lee though. She would've been someone people always wondered "what if" if she didn't get the job. Heck, she may very be the person everyone ended up demanding right now.