Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

15 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Even Migration is impressive to me. I saw it before a few movies, often in packed houses, and none of the jokes ever landed, even when kids were in the building. And even if it's still looking to gross way less than most Illumination movies...I mean, we're in a new box office world where original animation is dying. I'll take what I can get.

had no idea this went to theaters

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dallas said:

They're probably being modest so that it will look even more impressive when it does do $20M+

They’re being annoying again and not knowing how to do their job when tracking is VERY clear it can’t miss 15 at this point (probably can’t miss 20). 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

See! I keep arguing their marketing was crazy low-key. No one should ever be unaware an Illumination movie is coming to theaters based on their typical campaigns… 

They gave it a thanksgiving parade balloon for their highest rated telecast ever, blitz marketed it on every NBC NFL game the last month (and I'm sure the other networks too), and generally I think made awareness as big as it could possibly be. If you're not very interested in the movie ofc I don't imagine you'd be inclined to internalize what the release date is.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They’re being annoying again and not knowing how to do their job when tracking is VERY clear it can’t miss 15 at this point (probably can’t miss 20). 

It's because their tracking firms don't look at presales. It's been established for a while that the traditional industry tracking firms, which is where these publications get their stuff from, use models that look at surveys, social media, reviews, etc. and not presales. I don't know why they do it still, but that's how it works, and that can lead to underindexing, especially for minority-led projects like these.

But it's not like the studios care. If anything, they probably like this stuff for PR purposes. "Wow, this movie doubled from what projections said. Who could have seen that coming?" And only nerds like us care about box office, so it's not like it really matters.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They gave it a thanksgiving parade balloon for their highest rated telecast ever, blitz marketed it on every NBC NFL game the last month (and I'm sure the other networks too), and generally I think made awareness as big as it could possibly be. If you're not very interested in the movie ofc I don't imagine you'd be inclined to internalize what the release date is.

The parade float was nice, but it’s pointless when people have no idea what it’s for since they were low key on marketing. And yes, I keep hearing about these sportsketball ads for it on here, also pointless for awareness since that’s not the target demo at all. Far cry from their inescapable strangle hold campaign they like to run where you just want the damn thing to come out so you can stop seeing it promoted everywhere. 

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not the theaters is dead again, where is CJohn? He’s more entertaining doing it 

Don't worry, I can fill in for CJohn. I'll pencil in a rant on NTCs on...let's say tomorrow? Think that's about right? We'll see what the exact time is.

spongebob-squarepants-sunglasses.gif

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Even if Migration opening still isn't great by Illumination standards, I think it still has to be somewhat of an encouraging sign for the industry. It wouldn't be good optics if even the ol' reliable marketing machine started faltering with their original investments, and it seems they anticipated less of a turnout here keeping the budget lower. I just hope Renner can do something far more worthy of his talents next time.

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

But that's all "free" for them.  It's like Disney advertising on ESPN.

Universal did very little marketing outside their "free" avenues...

• Like 2

It’s really just another testament to Illuminations brand name. They can throw an original IP about ducks out and not give it a $100mil marketing campaign and still have it open nearly better than Pixar on a deflated holiday 3 day…. until other animation studios can start replicating this, I’m not sure how much it helps anyone besides Illumination 

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

But that's all "free" for them.  It's like Disney advertising on ESPN.

Universal did very little marketing outside their "free" avenues...

I mean I don't know what to tell you, I got the trailer on pretty much every kids movie I saw after it released (and on some PG-13 ones as well), and got TV spots pretty often the last month. 

I think Elemental had a similar issue, there definitely was a high volume of advertising, but not a whole lot of actual needle moving from it. If someone isn't convinced to watch your movie it with the first "l'orange on top", they probably weren't going to be swayed the tenth time they heard it. Unlike Elemental though, I don't think Migration's marketing was actually hiding much about it; what you saw is pretty much what you got in the movie.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s really just another testament to Illuminations brand name. They can throw an original IP about ducks out and not give it a $100mil marketing campaign and still have it open nearly better than Pixar on a deflated holiday 3 day…. until other animation studios can start replicating this, I’m not sure how much it helps anyone besides Illumination 

14m is about half of 29m

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree. Migration is definitely opening bigger than 3 big budgeted Pixar movies like Soul(from Docter ), Luca and Turning Red. 

/s

51 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We’re hearing that Color Purple‘s Christmas Day gross could be around $10M-$12M, which would put it in the No. 4 spot

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

(It probably hits that total from just presales)

• Like 1