Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

If that was their line of thinking than all of them should be fired. There's nothing for the boys in TLM be it animation or live action while BatB has a monster as one of 2 protagonists and some cool action such as the wolf attack and Gaston attack on the castle. I don't have to explain what Aladdin has for the boys and girls so that leaves TLM with only girl audience while casting limited even that part (see OS reaction). Had the movie had a reasonable budget, it would have been a minor hit but still a hit. But with 250M, that sank to the bottom of the ocean. Not as massive bomb as The Marvels since it didn't lose hundreds of millions but it isn't a success except in the eyes of those who are twisting themselves into a pretzel trying to spin it as one. 

I agree, though the Shipwreck scene, the Giant Ursula fight and the Shark chase at the very beginning can provide a tiny bit of action to attract boys. And while The little mermaid is a female-skewing franchise (with Ariel being included in the Disney princess lines) , it certainly has more room for boys to be interested (if not for anything else, at least for the cool underwater world and animals) than Cinderella or Snow White. 

But then again, some products fare better in some specific markets based on a number of factors that is quite hard to predict/evaluate. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the Moana remake will be a flop here in the Italy/France region,  while a Hunchback of Notre Dame remake (with a proper casting of the right Quasimodo, Phoebus and a super hot and sultry Esmeralda, without racebending and the likes) would be a mega hit; yet it's the USA market that counts the most, so we're probably never getting HOND but will have Snow White, Moana and Hercules instead, as those meet the americans' taste ...

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

12 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I agree, though the Shipwreck scene, the Giant Ursula fight and the Shark chase at the very beginning can provide a tiny bit of action to attract boys. And while The little mermaid is a female-skewing franchise (with Ariel being included in the Disney princess lines) , it certainly has more room for boys to be interested (if not for anything else, at least for the cool underwater world and animals) than Cinderella or Snow White. 

But then again, some products fare better in some specific markets based on a number of factors that is quite hard to predict/evaluate. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the Moana remake will be a flop here in the Italy/France region,  while a Hunchback of Notre Dame remake (with a proper casting of the right Quasimodo, Phoebus and a super hot and sultry Esmeralda, without racebending and the likes) would be a mega hit; yet it's the USA market that counts the most, so we're probably never getting HOND but will have Snow White, Moana and Hercules instead, as those meet the americans' taste ...

Yes specific markets are unpredicyable and can carry a movie like how China carried Coco and SK Elemental. Moana's gonna flop if they dress her like a nun which is what they do with female superheroes, or if they digitally flatten her like they did with Halle Bailey. There's nothing wrong with sexy and whether it's objectification is in the eye of a beholder. Barbie, Taylor Swift, the Na'vi dress sexy/revealing and their movies were hits. The Marvels dressed like nuns yet even The Nun 2 made more money. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes specific markets are unpredicyable and can carry a movie like how China carried Coco and SK Elemental. Moana's gonna flop if they dress her like a nun which is what they do with female superheroes, or if they digitally flatten her like they did with Halle Bailey. There's nothing wrong with sexy and whether it's objectification is in the eye of a beholder. Barbie, Taylor Swift, the Na'vi dress sexy/revealing and their movies were hits. The Marvels dressed like nuns yet even The Nun 2 made more money. 

Jesse what the hell are you talking about

• Like 4

*speed skims the last few pages*

All of this because I dared to mentally think that TLM doing near 300m domestic was a good thing?  Or at least not a bad thing compared to a ton of other movies released this year?

Sssseeesh.

(no further comments at this time)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hop off the crack bro

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Jesse what the hell are you talking about

4 minutes ago, dallas said:

Hop off the crack bro

Girls have Moana themed bday parties to dress like her. Big reason why Frozen was such a hit is that girls loved to dress like Elsa cause that was so pretty. Nobody wants to dress like The Marvels yet Feige was bragging about discarding CM's sexier costumes in favor of...that thing. Then he multipled that thing whatever it is (potato sack?) by 3 and bombed worse than The Flash. No crack, just common sense. Look around, see how people dress and what they find pretty and put your characters in it. 

But fair enough, back to BO.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All of this because I dared to mentally think that TLM doing near 300m domestic was a good thing?  Or at least not a bad thing compared to a ton of other movies released this year?

Sssseeesh.

I mean, it was a good thing. The domestic gross really was not the problem with TLM's performance.

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I know you’ve been here for like years but are you permanently stuck at 14?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, it was a good thing. The domestic gross really was not the problem with TLM's performance.

Dom performance highlight is nitpicking when the size of the budget clearly needed OS too or such enormous dom overperformance (Mario, Barbie, BP) to offset OS apathy/rejection. Since neither happened, dom didn't save it and I'd say that failing to reach 300M even by a hair is a proof that it ran out of steam quickly (which happened around Father's Day indicating that male audience checked out completely after that point). 

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sssseeesh.

After a suspension, our resident problematic fave is back in full force with all their pent-up anger.

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dom performance highlight is nitpicking when the size of the budget clearly needed OS too or such enormous dom overperformance (Mario, Barbie, BP) to offset OS apathy/rejection. Since neither happened, dom didn't save it and I'd say that failing to reach 300M even by a hair is a proof that it ran out of steam quickly (which happened around Father's Day indicating that male audience checked out completely after that point). 

You need to move on.

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Same goes to Ferrari. 

- (-) Ferrari Neon $1,545,818 -46%   2,330 $663 $4,422,103 2

Keep in mind they both had nearly full day Xmas Even previews, which accounted for over 25% of the reported Xmas day total. From TruXmas to Boxing Day, the drops are fine 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

it's terrible SFX from digitally flattening Halle's beautiful chest (why?) 

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Girls have Moana themed bday parties to dress like her. Big reason why Frozen was such a hit is that girls loved to dress like Elsa cause that was so pretty. Nobody wants to dress like The Marvels yet Feige was bragging about discarding CM's sexier costumes in favor of...that thing. Then he multipled that thing whatever it is (potato sack?) by 3 and bombed worse than The Flash. No crack, just common sense. Look around, see how people dress and what they find pretty and put your characters in it. 

But fair enough, back to BO.

Moderation

I was about to move some posts around to make a new thread, but before I do that....yeah @Valonqar please do not post sexist garbage like this. I truly doubt the world needs women to dress ultra super sexy and have giant chests in order to find success in the movies. And if that is the case, we have a bigger problem in our awful patricarchal society, and it's a pity that you are encouraging this.

Please keep your hand out of your pants, or greater repercussions will come your way. You're an adult, so act like one. I hate that I have to wake up to this utter trash and that I even have to explain that this type of garbage shouldn't be on the forum, but I guess I can't expect too much from some of you. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

If you make an action movie (The Marvels) and you want to sell it to females you need to write a story women can relate to and to marketize the movie in a very specific way, not like is every other movie in the franchise.

They did very good with Black Panther, the has an original soundtrack with original hip-hop rap songs. Something still unique for Marvel.

A curated soundtrack is very important for female movies, that's one of the things Warned did very good for Barbie.

Back in 2012 an article showed with data a lot of young girls got interested to Hunger Games from the moment Taylor Swift was involved in the soundtrack. Lionsgate made the same thing this time around with Olivia Rodrigo... she is for 15-20 women what Swift was 10 years ago.

An Olivia Rodrigo song for The Marvels was too hard?. They didn't even tried like they did with BP.

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Moderation

This goes for you too mister. We don't need this stuff on the forum. Period.

I mean people like looking at attractive actors look at Barbie who dress well...Ken and Barbie. People really liked how they looked.

If Margot and gosling didn't look so attractive or dress so well i think it wouldn't have been as popular.

Edited by Torontofan