Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

Just now, CJohn said:

Who could have predicted that a sequel to Aquaman would open to only 28M. What an insane time to be alive.

There's nothing particularly surprising about this opening. 5 years (feels longer than that) was too long, tepidly received comic book movies have been largely shrugged off this year, and it's the unceremonious and unplanned final movie in a universe that never fully prospered the way the studio and the entire industry hoped. All things considered, the fact it should still hit $100M total (even if barely) is surpassing a very low expectations bar.

4 minutes ago, joselowe said:

are y’all still predicting Wonka to be the Puss In Boots 2/ Greatest Showman of 2023/2024?

It couldn’t possibly be, since it opened to 4-6x as big as either of those movies. It’s going to out-gross both of them, if that’s what you’re saying.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DAJK said:

It couldn’t possibly be, since it opened to 4-6x as big as either of those movies. It’s going to out-gross both of them, if that’s what you’re saying.

I was just asking because some people in the previous weekend thread were suggesting $700 million WW comparing it to Jumanji 2, Puss in Boots 2 and The Greatest Showman. Basically regarding the WOM and saying it will have staying power because of kids getting out of school. That’s why I was asking. Didn’t know how the data currently is

• Like 1

The Color Purple is easily selling 2x-3x more tickets than anything else on Monday in the theaters near me. Several showings are down to a single digit number of seats available despite playing in some of the largest auditoriums. It should easily clear $20M for the day. I wouldn’t be surprised if it hits $30M for the day.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Pivoting to older aimed animation might be a good idea while kids continue to shun movie theaters (or their parents just won’t take them). 

Turning Red was very much not aimed at kids, and most agree it would have been a box office hit. Encanto, while not directly aimed at older audiences, got so huge with Gen Z saturating it all over TikTok. Heron competing with Wish DOM thanks to teens to thirty somethings. Yeah,  I can see “mature” Pixar being huge if they deliver. 

The bigger problem becomes that then you’re leaning even further into conditioning todays kids to not care about the movie theater, which inevitably will kill off the industry if their habits don’t change when they’re the most crucial teen to twenty something demo. 

This is what I'm trying to say.

Kids aren't going to movies, and parents aren't taking them to films for that age group. Mario didn't get many kids under 12, and the ones that did come didn't help Ruby Gilman and now aren't helping Migration. Elemental was helped because of older audiences who grew up with Pixar!

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This is what I'm trying to say.

Kids aren't going to movies, and parents aren't taking them to films for that age group. Mario didn't get many kids under 12, and the ones that did come didn't help Ruby Gilman and now aren't helping Migration. Elemental was helped because of older audiences who grew up with Pixar!

I think what you're trying to say...

The driver behind movie attendance is now the parent.  If the parent likes a movie and they feel it's kid appropriate enough, they'll take the kid (b/c babysitting is so expensive).  But if the kid likes the movie, but the parent doesn't, there is no attendance by either party.  It's too expensive for a parent to decide to take a kid to a movie the kid wants when the kid would be just as happy watching it on a streaming screen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think what you're trying to say...

The driver behind movie attendance is now the parent.  If the parent likes a movie and they feel it's kid appropriate enough, they'll take the kid (b/c babysitting is so expensive).  But if the kid likes the movie, but the parent doesn't, there is no attendance by either party.  It's too expensive for a parent to decide to take a kid to a movie the kid wants when the kid would be just as happy watching it on a streaming screen.

Yes, you said it better than I did.

Also, there's so much other media for children to access that they don't really need movies in the same way other generations did at the same age.

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

As much of a bomb as this the Aquaman sequel is,  it still looks like it's going to surpass the worldwide total of The Marvels.  Deadline has the weekend projected at $120M. 

Not sure if this is updated but according to The Numbers, The Marvels just crossed 200M barely, the OS rejection is the craziest part for me.

The Marvels (2023)

The Marvels
Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $84,437,351 Details
International Box Office $115,598,632 Details
Worldwide Box Office $200,035,983  
Further financial details...
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Anyway, it’s honestly not looking horrible for Aquaman WW. I expected worse after the latest CBM bombing.

It's like how every horrible Salman Khan movie in India earn some money at the box office due to being a holiday release.

8 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Edited by TRISTAN

The hype around Wonka's legs is like the BOT version of a pyramid scheme. It's doing fine. It could hit 200, it's probably about even odds if not better. But that's it. A nice enough total with solid legs from a solid opening. Nothing particularly special about this run or its legs.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The hype around Wonka's legs is like the BOT version of a pyramid scheme. It's doing fine. It could hit 200, it's probably about even odds if not better. But that's it. A nice enough total with solid legs from a solid opening. Nothing particularly special about this run or its legs.

A.) It's definitely hitting $200M. 

B.) $200M off a $39M opening isn't just solid, it's pretty damn good. 

Don't know why you're denying the fact that this movie is doing well when it clearly is. 

Edited by dallas

5 minutes ago, dallas said:

A.) It's definitely hitting $200M. 

B.) $200M off a $39M opening isn't just solid, it's pretty damn good. 

Don't know why you're denying the fact that this movie is doing well when it clearly is. 

I am fine saying it is doing well. Every day it feels like the vibe in the threads is that its the next Greatest Showman when the weekdays and weekend numbers have been normal amounts of good. I am waiting for these legs to carry it past what M37 and others had always projected to kick in, is all. 

For what it's worth, even though PIB2 will ultimately gross less than Wonka, I found that alot more exciting of a run. Every day was a banger in terms of how good the legs were. A movie can gross more money and still feel like a much less special run. Happens all the time.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5