Eric Prime

Han and Eric's Doom and Gloom/Controversial Predictions of 2024

August 2

Harold and the Purple Crayon: It’s been delayed 3 times. That tells you everything you need to know. 8/30 (3.75x)

Trap: M. Night’s recent movies have consistently been polarizing with horror fans and critics, and I don’t see this being any different. If anything, his recent reception will only hurt this movie even further. Less than Knock at the Cabin. 13/30 (2.31x)

August 9

Borderlands: This was shot in 2021 and is only now coming out three years later. Again, tells you everything you need to know. However, the games are quite popular, especially recently with the launch of Borderlands 3 in 2019. So there will be some initial interest from the fanbase, but I doubt, especially with Eli Roth directing, it will cross over to the mainstream. 20/45 (2.25x)

Flint Strong: I don't expect this to be an awards contender, though I'm sure it's very good, and since movies like these don't sell anymore... 3/15 (5x)

Speak No Evil: So it's some Blumhouse movie, and it has James McAvoy and...yeah, I don't care. 5/13 (2.6x)

• Like 1

August 16

Alien: Romulus: With both Covenant and Prometheus being divisive features, the Alien franchise is in a really bad spot at the moment, so there’s not that much potential here. However, I think the fanbase is still big enough, and Alvarez is talented enough where it could gross on par with Covenant. And that’s more than enough for a niche property like this and perhaps a potential sequel. 30/70 (2.33x)

Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 2: I'm already predicting rough things for part 1, and typically these two-parters see the second movie get a decrease for the latter. So yeah. I don't expect much here. 14/45 (3.21x)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

August 30

Kraven the Hunter: Superhero movies are dead. Sony superhero movies? Deader than dead. Next. 20/45 (2.25x)

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree on this one.  I found the red band trailer compelling and fresh.  I'm in the 100M+ DOM train for this one...probably dumb b/c supers are in a big downswing, but I think they live and die on their own terms now, and this one seems like it got a Kraven on screen exactly right...

• Like 2

The predictions for DP 3 some have around here just yeah whatever. Me I am just going to wait until Superbowl sunday when we get the first trailer. If it just comes off like Deadpool and Wolverine in the MCU and that is the movie yeah that will be a problem. Even then that can still be done right and deliver and people will be happy and the movie can still hit big.

While it's still a bit far out, the Alien: Romulus prediction feels less pessimistic and more realistic considering how much the last film grossed domestically, though I would hope for an increase if the film is solid. Even with Fede Álvarez helming and contributing to the story for this film, I don't think a lot of people are going to be excited for it despite how much time has passed between entries.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

May 24

Furiosa: Fury Road was already a strong hit back in 2015 and its esteem and reputation has only grown over the years. Sadly, this being a prequel does kind of limit things, and trailer reception was surprisingly on the iffy side. I'm also not sure why it's coming out the same weekend as Planet of the Apes. Still, if Miller delivers something on par with that classic, who knows what the ceiling is? But for now, let’s just go with the idea that it’s good, but slightly less impressive than its predecessor. 40/140 (3.5x)

Garfield: This has always been a recognizable and memed franchise, and the trailer has done well in getting animation fans excited and interested. Plus it’s a nostalgic toy commercial, and...well, you know what I have to say about that. Don’t quite think this has the epic breakout chance of a Minions movie or something, but we should be fine either way, and perform better than most animated movies these days. 55/180 (3.27x)

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The lack of Caesar, the most universally loved aspect of the reboot trilogy, will probably hurt its chances, even outside of War being an underperformer. However, people still like these Apes movies quite a bit and the trailer promises fun action and great special effects. It will need some quality reception that I don’t think Wes Ball can pull off, but even with weak reception, getting close to War seems likely. Let’s be optimistic and say this does deliver. 60/160 (2.67x)

Okay, Apes is under $100M DOM - 1st bomb of the summer...it looks awful to me now that I've seen the trailer.  Not sure who wants to root for "yeah human slaves with Apes, and humans as sub humans", but maybe if you're REALLY into the series...

• Astonished 1

I think IO2 will be the biggest hit of the year , Deadpool 3 second and Joker 2 in the third place , Despicable Me 4 and Mufasa complete my top 5 but i think the last movie quoted will fall a lot compared to its predecessor (-60%) . Dune 2 and Sonic 3 ( if the date hold) will pass the 200M Mark

Biggest surprise for me this year : Fall Guys , Garfield, BeetleJuice 2 , Wicked

Deception or flops of the year :

-Ghostbusters 

- all Sony Movies CBM except maybe Venom 3

- Argylle ( semi deception)

- Apes ( I'm agree with you @TwoMisfits but i think for me the deception is due to 3 things : the fact of don't have the main caracter of the last trilogy , not have the same director and the 7 year gap )

- Bad Boys 4 ( impact of Will Smith Slap and to be opposite the same weekend at IO2 )

- Gladiator 2 ( the last movies of Scott weren't good success , change of actors and don't have the nostalgia effect for me)

- Mufasa ( a little deception )

- Ballerina ( not the Keanu Reeves effect

September 6

Beetlejuice 2: I have zero faith in Tim Burton putting out a good movie here. However, Beetlejuice is one of his most iconic features, the stage musical has introduced tons of new fans, and Jenna Ortega’s starpower will also be of help too. Plus Fandango and Quorum already show that the hype is heavy to see the franchise return. I don’t see the extra super massive breakout some users are expecting, but this should be a comfortably-sized big hit through the fall holidays. 110/265 (2.41x)

• Like 3

September 13

Transformers One: Being animated, this won’t have as big of a crowd as Rise of the Beasts, but the brand is still popular, and if they deliver on the quality, this should be a modest Mutant Mayhem-style success story. 35/115 (3.29x)

• Like 2

September 20

The Wild Robot: Dreamworks has been very hit and miss for a good while, and since kids don’t care about movie theaters and this isn’t a nostalgic toy commercial, I expect this to come and go. A shame too, considering how talented and successful director Chris Sanders has been over the years. But we’re in a new world where originality is dead and everything must be based on something else. Pity. 23/85 (3.69x)

Wolfs: I guess with Apple and the starpower, it will be stronger than most non-NTCs, but not that much more? I dunno, it’s just hard sometimes to predict movies where you know nothing about them. 20/70 (3.5x)

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

September 27

Saw XI: Saw X became the franchise’s biggest critical and commercial hit in ages, so that momentum should lead to about the same. Slightly bigger opening, slightly weaker legs. Still about steady with the last one, which is mad impressive for a long-running series like this. 20/55 (2.75x)

• Like 3

On 1/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 2: I'm already predicting rough things for part 1, and typically these two-parters see the second movie get a decrease for the latter. So yeah. I don't expect much here. 14/45 (3.21x)

Hope you're wrong here, if only because summer could really use the boost.

9 hours ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Saw XI: Saw X became the franchise’s biggest critical and commercial hit in ages, so that momentum should lead to about the same. Slightly bigger opening, slightly weaker legs. Still about steady with the last one, which is mad impressive for a long-running series like this. 20/55 (2.75x)

X was a nice throwback, and I'm definitely in for more, which is kind of crazy to say after 20 years.