Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

Twister i feel like could be a second Independence Day 2. Just because a movie was huge in the 90s doesnt mean that theres still an audience out there for it.

Though to be fair, an important first step to success would be to make an actually watchable movie unlike Independence Day 2.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I googled Twister movie and got some movie from 2014 Into the Storm lol isn't that the same thing? It has a tornado (twister) on the poster:

MV5BMjMwODI2ODc3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQw

That movie was terrible

That's another thing working against Twisters: there's been so many cheap and cheesy disaster flicks over the years, that it's going to be difficult for this film to stand out as an "event". It doesn't even have sharks!

sharknado_500x.jpg?v=1624479837

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Twister i feel like could be a second Independence Day 2. Just because a movie was huge in the 90s doesnt mean that theres still an audience out there for it.

Though to be fair, an important first step to success would be to make an actually watchable movie unlike Independence Day 2.

and first independence day was way more iconic and successfull than Twisters. But still this has 2 new proming new stars so who knows, can work better than that for several reason. ID2 was really an old school movie, maybe universal can make here something freshier for a modern audience, not something in the 90s style. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I uninronically only care for THG doing so well :bop: What totals dom and WW can be expect? It's already in the black so it doesn't really matter but the bigger the merrier. 

There is a 4 hour cut of it in the wild. Yet to leak but a screener has got loose

Edited by Juliet
  • Like 1

After its drops over the week, that would be a genuinely solid Friday number for Aquabro 2, probably spare it a 40%+ drop and lock in $100M domestic. Still a flop, but with China it should lose less money than most of DC's other releases.

Anyone But You is on track for at least a 40%+ increase from last weekend, and that's when 20% of its opening came from Thursday 2pm previews. If it can reach $9M for the weekend...look out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I was waiting until some FRI data but yeah, Color Purple is kinda of a disaster at this point

Which is shocking considering the reviews was actually solid, so is WOM 

Black women seemingly rushed out to see it on Christmas Day, and no one else cared about it, thus the steep drops in the following days. I can't help but wonder if this should've been pushed back to Black History Month of next year. Wonka would've had more room to breathe too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I was waiting until some FRI data but yeah, Color Purple is kinda of a disaster at this point

Which is shocking considering the reviews was actually solid, so is WOM 

You can have the best WOM of all time, but if theres only one demographic (older black women) who cares about the movie, its doomed to fall short.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grand Cine said:

Traduction :

1) 8,4M Wonka

2) : 6,7M Migration

3) : 6,7M Aquaman 2

4) : 4,1M TCP

5) : 3,3M Anyone But You

I don't know if this estimates will be good but he made good estimates the last days so I let them here

TCP only +25%, its no fences

wont get far past 11

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Spielberg not having much success these days with his last two films and now TCP which be produced. His name now has no pull 

Dont think he is worried. Didn't he get an Oscar nomination for his last two films and very likely to get another one from TCP. TCP budget was to high like 95% of films this year but and 80 to 85 finish won't be the end of the world.

WB has 3 big movies released in the most lucrative release window of the year with no major competition from other studios and 2/3 are flopping while Wonka isn't that big of a success, bleak stuff, will Wonka even make up for the Aquaman 2/TCP loses?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You can have the best WOM of all time, but if theres only one demographic (older black women) who cares about the movie, its doomed to fall short.

It seems even the Black audience, outside of Female 25+, is rejecting the film at the concept stage.  They didn't want to relive the tragedy of The Color Purple.  So, it doesn't matter how good it is - they reject the concept/premise of the movie.

It should give the creators pause for future movies intended for this audience.  They obviously are not responding to painful concepts, and may prefer lighter or satiric ones - but redoing tragedies on screen is no longer a sell, except maybe on streaming...