Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

I will say it again.

2023 will go down as one of those weird years.

9B after all the high profile flops we have had is honestly solid . Know the high ATP is helping but still Solid nonetheless.

Festive box-office which most of us thought would be terrible and boring is pretty solid honestly and it seems pretty well distributed among the movies  unlike last year which gross was significantly boosted by avatar.

2023 I guess despite it woes is sort of "blessing in disguise" Theatrical has been so dominated by sequels,remakes,CGI fests ,cinematic universes. Some of this properties will still make money but just not as much as before and mediocre/crappy ones are just straight up rejected.

Will Hollywood learn anything from this . Probably not .

• Like 1

All 3(Wonka, Aquabro, Migration) look like increasing in low to mid 40s range. Considering Wonka/Migration dropped softer than Aquabro, I guess this is the point when WOM will come into play. Even if it over indexes few % over here (Is it a holiday in Canada today?), all 3 should go up from estimates after overestimating big time yesterday. My kids dont have school this week(my younger one is out until next wednesday), so weekdays should be better than normal Jan weekdays this week but starting next week they will go back to norm. I am expecting great hold from Wonka for sure this weekend. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

All 3(Wonka, Aquabro, Migration) look like increasing in low to mid 40s range. Considering Wonka/Migration dropped softer than Aquabro, I guess this is the point when WOM will come into play. Even if it over indexes few % over here (Is it a holiday in Canada today?), all 3 should go up from estimates after overestimating big time yesterday. My kids dont have school this week(my younger one is out until next wednesday), so weekdays should be better than normal Jan weekdays this week but starting next week they will go back to norm. I am expecting great hold from Wonka for sure this weekend. 

How will Aquaman 2 post-holidays starting Jan 2nd?

This holiday season box office is interesting. So many movies from different genres and you don't know exactly where they're going. This is excting about box office, not how many 200-300 M movies you can get. 

IMO finally box office is fun again.

I can't wait to see how Gladiator, The fall guy, Wicked, Civil war, Beetlejuice ,Mickey 17, If and many others will perform. That era when It was all about if Ant Man 39 could make 250M or 300M (repeat for 15 times in a year) It's finally over 😇

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

This holiday season box office is interesting. So many movies from different genres and you don't know exactly where they're going. This is excting about box office, not how many 200-300 M movies you can get. 

I can't wait to see how Gladiator, The fall guy, Wicked, Civil war, Beetlejuice ,Mickey 17, If and many others will perform. That era when It was all about if Ant Man 39 could make 250M or 300M (repeat for 15 times in a year) It's finally over 😇

It would be more exciting if the 2024 slate didn’t look incredibly weak. Despicable Me 4 looks like the only film that’s basically guaranteed not to disappoint at the box office.

Edited by Speedorito

55 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It would be more exciting if the 2024 slate didn’t look incredibly weak. Despicable Me 4 looks like the only film that’s basically guaranteed not to disappoint at the box office.

I really doubt someone last year thought Wonka + Barbie + Oppenheimer were coming for 3B globally combined. So I stay in my opinion box office is more interesting now.

Challengers by Luca Guadagnino Is another movie box office run could be very interesting to follow.

That Anyone But You increase is insane. I guess there is just a lot of pent-up demand for this kind of romcom considering Hollywood barely releases this type of movie in theaters anymore (and most of the time, they are not very good tbh). Sweeney being in Euphoria definitely helped this with young people.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I really doubt someone last year thought Wonka + Barbie + Oppenheimer were coming for 3B globally combined. So I stay in my opinion box office is more interesting now.

Challengers by Luca Guadagnino Is another movie box office run could be very interesting to follow.

I mean, I always had Barbie and Wonka pegged as strong performers even if others didn’t, but ok.

But there have always been strong performers every year even with superhero films supposedly sucking all the oxygen out of the room. I just don’t think most of the films this year like Gladiator 2: The Unnecessary Sequel and Repetitive Ryan Reynold’s IF are really going to blow anyone away simply because we don’t have as many versions of Captain Laser Eyes 5 this year.

Edited by Speedorito

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

so Ferrari apparently cost 90-100m. Hollywood has a budget problem and not just with the big special effects movies

Seems about right for a high profile racing movie. Anyways, it's probably OK for a film like this considering that it will make pretty much all of its money from the sale of distribution rights, not the boxoffice itself

Edited by lorddemaxus

Deadline: "Per NRG, around two-thirds of Americans prefer watching movies at home (64% at home vs. 36% in theater) versus 2018, when the preference of cinema viewing outpaced that of the home (57% theater vs. 43% home)."

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Deadline: "Per NRG, around two-thirds of Americans prefer watching movies at home (64% at home vs. 36% in theater) versus 2018, when the preference of cinema viewing outpaced that of the home (57% theater vs. 43% home)."

Unsurprising thanks to the pandemic and the multitude of streaming services. And thanks to the strikes (or rather, the studios) there will be fewer releases this year, which means even less desire to go to theaters.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Why go spend money on expensive tickets and food and dealing with assholes when you can watch movies in the comfort of your home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

My boomer take is that I feel like society today is so closed off; post-pandemic (and partly, but not wholly, because of it) I just feel like so many people have just turned away from social gatherings and activities, movie-going amongst them, and it just sucks 😕 people’s views of each other have just become so negative 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

My boomer take is that I feel like society today is so closed off; post-pandemic (and partly, but not wholly, because of it) I just feel like so many people have just turned away from social gatherings and activities, movie-going amongst them, and it just sucks 😕 people’s views of each other have just become so negative 

I agree. In my country a lot of people totally gave up on meeting someone new and on their hobbies and so on. It's just so depressing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AniNate said:

The numbers that are publicly reported aren't always the real ones. Studios have all kinds of motivations for either inflating a movie's costs or downplaying them. I don't believe the profit margins are as thin as studios would have you believe, otherwise the mainstream film industry would've shuttered a long time ago.

Wouldn't Lionsgate yearly reports test this? They're small enough their SEC filings break out films and they directly publish claimed post-theatrical revenue for their feature film division. 

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I agree, this holiday season has been way more exciting than 2019 and 2021 for me (2022 is a bit weird because Avatar sort of spiced things up). The fact that the top grossing movie only accounts for about a fifth of the box office is amazing. hopefully things stay the same.

2024 sadly looks almost guaranteed to be lower due to the strikes so we have to wait for 2025 to measure the progress of the post-pandemmic recovery.