Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

I think Ariana Grande buzz is about the best hope Wicked part 1 has right now. She is about to launch a new album era, so if that’s huge this year that could potentially give Wicked some momentum. But yeah, I think even fans are going to be like “wtf??” at the part 1 of it all 

Whether a musical is a Broadway hit or not doesn't mean shit if adaptation doesn't connect. POTO sold billion tickets or something in its stage run but the movie flopped. Mama Mia was a hit on stage and in movies even spawned 1 or 2 sequels I think. So it's really a toss up. Wonka the hidden musical without any Broadway background is doing great and so did The Last Showman. White Rent and Cats flopped and they are like Broadway classics. Even if you haven't seen them you've heard of them. 

• Like 2

Aquaman still sucked and still bombed despite what the die hards on here think. It mainly looks "good" because it didn't bomb as bad as Flash and got a lucky release slot. I guarantee another slot would've gotten a sucky gross.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Happy new year @WrathOfHan @Eric Owns Mickey Mouse:

12x:

Mean Girls: Five Nights at Freddy’s, The Marvels Dolby, Priscilla, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Trolls Band Together, Saltburn, Wish Dolby, Poor Things, The Iron Claw, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, The Book of Clarence

8x:

Soul: Frozen II Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Empire Strikes Back, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Hocus Pocus, Michael Jordan to the MAX IMAX, Coco Round 7, Wonka

7x:

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Shortcomings, Strays, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

Wonka: Barbie Round 2 Dolby, Blue Beetle Dolby, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby, Wish Dolby

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Dolby, The Super Mario Bros. Movie Round 2, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem Round 2 3D, Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby

The Color Purple: Barbie, Theater Camp, Birth/Rebirth, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby

Dune: Part Two: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Dolby, Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Oppenheimer Round 3 IMAX, The Nun II Dolby, Batman Begins, Wonka

6x:

Poor Things: Chevalier, Asteroid City Round 2, Theater Camp Round 0, Theater Camp, A Haunting in Venice IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall

Argylle: The Royal Hotel, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Beetlejuice Dolby, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Ferrari Dolby

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The Marvels Dolby, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Poor Things, The Iron Claw

Turning Red: The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, Encanto Dolby Atmos, West Side Story Dolby Round 0, Sing 2 Dolby, Wonka

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Drive-Away Dolls: Asteroid City, Asteroid City Round 2, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Talk to Me

Ferrari: Barbie Round 3 IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, Thanksgiving

The Boy and the Heron: Howl’s Moving Castle, The Night of the Hunter 35mm, Spirited Away, Monster

Night Swim: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Thanksgiving, Saltburn, Poor Things

The Beekeeper: Five Nights at Freddy’s, American Fiction Round 2, Saltburn, Ferrari Dolby

Inside Out 2: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka

Origin: American Fiction Round 2, Ferrari Dolby, The Iron Claw, The Book of Clarence

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire: The Marvels Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, The Book of Clarence

Reveal hidden contents

On it like a bonnet. Hyped for the new year.

9x:

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman, The Creator, Killers of the Flower Moon, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Napoleon, Godzilla Minus One, Wonka

7x:

The Color Purple: The Little Mermaid, Barbie, Theater Camp, Bottoms, A Haunting in Venice, The Nun 2, Wonka

Dune: Part Two: Fast X, Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2, Haunted Mansion, Blue Beetle, The Nun 2, The Iron Claw

6x:

Poor Things: Talk to Me, Theater Camp, The Last Voyage of the Demeter, The Equalizer 3, Priscilla, The Holdovers

Argylle: The Creator, Killers of the Flower Moon, Priscilla, The Holdovers, Napoleon, Godzilla Minus One

Elio: Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, Coco, The Lion King, Moana

4x:

Wonka: Blue Beetle, Stop Making Sense, Hocus Pocus, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Arthur the King: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Napoleon, The Iron Claw, The Boy and the Heron

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: Napoleon, Godzilla Minus One, The Iron Claw, Ferrari

3x:

Ferrari: The Equalizer 3, Killers of the Flower Moon, Napoleon

Drive-Away Dolls: Past Lives, Asteroid City, The Holdovers

Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Joy Ride, Barbie

White Bird: Thor: Love and Thunder, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid

2x:

The Boy and the Heron: Stop Making Sense, Maestro

The Boys in the Boat: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Maestro

The Beekeeper: Godzilla Minus One, Ferrari

Mean Girls: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Wonka

Turning Red: West Side Story, The Boy and the Heron

Madame Web: Napoleon, Wonka

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, Killers of the Flower Moon

Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, Theater Camp

Civil War: The Iron Claw, Ferrari

The Fall Guy: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, The Iron Claw

Inside Out 2: Wonka, The Boy and the Heron

The Bikeriders: The Creator, Ferrari

Problemista: Past Lives, Talk to Me

1x:

American Fiction: Maestro

Anyone But You: Godzilla Minus One

The Iron Claw: Priscilla

The Teachers' Lounge: The Boy and the Heron

The Book of Clarence: The Equalizer 3

Lisa Frankenstein: The Holdovers

Soul: The Boy and the Heron

Origin: Ferrari

Imaginary: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Kung Fu Panda 4: The Boy and the Heron

Love Lies Bleeding: The Iron Claw

Luca: The Boy and the Heron

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire: Napoleon

Furiosa: Ferarri

The Bikeriders: The Creator, Ferrari

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

Perfect Days: Ferrari

Obviously a different approach to the property, but Oz the Great and Powerful's $234M gross in nearly 11 years ago did prove that there is an audience for a Wizard of Oz project without Dorothy (1978's The Wiz and 1985's Return to Oz were pretty major misfires in their day). If not for the two parts of it all, I would feel much more confident in Wicked on paper than the other recent Broadway adaptations.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Obviously a different approach to the property, but Oz the Great and Powerful's $234M gross in nearly 11 years ago did prove that there is an audience for a Wizard of Oz project without Dorothy (1978's The Wiz and 1985's Return to Oz were pretty major misfires in their day). If not for the two parts of it all, I would feel much more confident in Wicked on paper than the other recent Broadway adaptations.

That was one of the most unexpected breakouts that year. I would have pegged it for half that amount before release. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I think Wicked, for what it's worth, probably has a lot more four-quad potential than Color Purple or In the Heights. It appeals more to the Wonka audience.

Yeah, I mean Wicked is one of the handful of Broadway shows I’ve actually seen because it was a field trip for my daughter’s Girl Scout troop. It will be huge.

Oz leaned into the same kind of kooky gothic aesthetic that the Burton Alice did three years earlier, and I imagine that was a factor in it getting greenlit and Sam Raimi being hired to direct it. Those have a better time when they're associated with the Disney brand than something like John Carter does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

I think on the optimistic side, the better comp is not Les Mis, which was primarily for adults, but rather Into the Woods, as a "darker" take/twist on a well-known family story.

But I do not have high hopes, because of the whole part 1/part 2 decision, but also the release date. Musicals have always done well through the Xmas holiday into January, and I'm not sure Thanksgiving into December offers that same kind of potential. Unless I'm missing some, the last two live action musicals released for TG were Burlesque (2010, $39M, #79 for year) and Rent (2005, $29M, #94) - basically matching West Side Story and Cats respectively (before adjusting for inflation/ATP)

I will never forget all the people at my Into the Woods screening who thought it was over after Act 1 and started getting up to leave lol. By the end they seemingly wished they had—a lot of grumbling out of the theater. It did not seem to be what people were expecting.

ITW is Stephen Sondheim. I was just watching a video yesterday about how none of his Broadway show runs have hit 1,000 performances and many of his musicals lost money. The musicals that were the least characteristic of his style tended to be most successful. Nevertheless he's an absolute legend with a sizable fanbase. But to compare, Wicked is up to about 7,800 shows on Broadway and counting (I know it might not translate to film success).

It's just January, there is plenty of time for a November release date to change, especially with the strike fallout.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think Ariana Grande buzz is about the best hope Wicked part 1 has right now. She is about to launch a new album era, so if that’s huge this year that could potentially give Wicked some momentum. But yeah, I think even fans are going to be like “wtf??” at the part 1 of it all 

Hopefully Ariana's album changes the narrative for her from the SpongeBob love affair, though him being in Wicked too will bring it all back. This is not a Mr & Mrs Smith situation where the scandalous romance was a selling point. Maybe the media will play nice?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Juliet said:

The Ashton Kutcher- Orlando Bloom- Freddie Prinze Jr etc generation I blame entirely on Hollywood. Didn't know what to do with them. They were fine when they were in Cosmo Girl but once they aged out the Studios had nothing for them. Joshua Jackson is another one that deserves to do better. I was hoping more people would pay attention to him after The Affair.

Eh the larger issue in general is they were mostly terrible actors. The ones with any hints of depth or range (Ledger, Gyllenhaal, Hartnett) all got serious opportunities, while others got franchise film type stuff ala Freddie Prinze Jr got Scooby Doo, Bloom got Pirates, Ashton Kutcher got Punkd, Hayden Christensen got Star Wars etc.

Revisionist history does show it did not have to be this way. I think we all know that had Ledger survived, he would probably still be a huge star to this day. Had Hartnett wanted to be Nolan's Batman, he would have been, and no doubt his A-list status would have last many years longer than it did. Paul Walker wasn't really a draw outside of F&F, but who knows.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Not going down this rabbit LOL. Heath showed the most charisma but Hartnett showed the most range of all of them early on. His characters in Faculty, Virgin Suicides, O, Harbor, Black Hawk Down, the sex comedy etc are all very different, and he is generally pretty good in all of them. He would have been more than capable as Nolan's Batman and would probably still be A list to this day had he accepted it. 

My opinion wont change, I have never seen a Brad Pitt performance that I don't think Hartnett could have matched.

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Aquaman still sucked and still bombed despite what the die hards on here think. It mainly looks "good" because it didn't bomb as bad as Flash and got a lucky release slot. I guarantee another slot would've gotten a sucky gross.

Where has anyone said it’s a hit? It just got saved from disaster status by the release date is all 

Moderation

@MightyDargon that's enough of your hyperbolic "Aquaman 2 is actually an epic failure and people are trying to pretend it isn't" rhetoric. It's unproductive, flat-out false, and other users have asked you to stop already. So please stop. If you do this again, you will leave me with no other choice but to give you a threadban.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

American Fiction might have broken the record for amount of TV ads I've seen for a movie that isn't playing ANYWHERE near me. It's gotta be three weeks now. Having strong "this movie isn't real" syndrome kick in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

American Fiction might have broken the record for amount of TV ads I've seen for a movie that isn't playing ANYWHERE near me. It's gotta be three weeks now. Having strong "this movie isn't real" syndrome kick in.

lol I got the trailer when I took my mom to Maestro, and she can't stop asking me when that "black book movie" is coming out. And it's like...I don't know!

Just now, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

lol I got the trailer when I took my mom to Maestro, and she can't stop asking me when that "black book movie" is coming out. And it's like...I don't know!

There's an excellent Paul Verhoeven Spy Drama you could show her in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ironic about this American Fiction convo since I literally just saw a friend post on social today that they have officially gone from hyped for it to pissed they still don’t know when it’s coming to a theater near them 

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

That was one of the most unexpected breakouts that year. I would have pegged it for half that amount before release. 

That movie was such a weird hit, everyone simply decided to memoryhole it instead of trying to explain it.

I don't recall it being that huge a surprise when it came out. It presented itself as another cog in the "big budget fantasy remake" machine and it went in and out like most of their big budget fantasies do.

• Like 1