Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah the hype was palpable, everything that could’ve go wrong with Ant Man happened. Some is their fault (selling this as some huge event) and some isn’t (Majors case). 

They’ll need to deal with some disappointments from now on and make quality projects in order to try regain trust. There was many factors and many other movies building to this, but Ant Man was the implosion.

It was mainly bad writing. Really. really. really bad writing.

Yup, it's funny how the worst performing sub-franchise in Phase 2-3 probably destroyed the entire MCU franchise :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yes that is true. This movie definitely did take me by surprise, I was honestly expecting another crash like Shazam 2, Flash, and Marvels. 

To be fair with you, most people was by the time of release, after it didn’t even had a premiere. 

In part that’s probably why many people are satisfied with 420M … not only is a good thing for theaters, but it’s also much better than 200M-ish that was starting to feel like a strong possibility. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It was mainly bad writing. Really. really. really bad writing.

Yup, it's funny how the worst performing sub-franchise in Phase 2-3 probably destroyed the entire MCU franchise :hahaha:

I’m sure in a decade or so, there’ll be many studies about what this movie did to 15 years of excellent public perception of a brand.

I would like to know some internal details, the rumors is that Feige and company was actually very confident in it’s quality which is insane to me. 

I'm not going to go all out explaining why Aquaman 2 somehow didn't flop (Doritos factor?), because it did. Bottom line is that it will probably lose money. But I can speak for a lot of us when I say that Aquaman's run has taken us by surprise. Going from tracking below Shazam 2 in presales to now surpassing Black Adam as the biggest DCEU movie in 5 years is a huge win, at least to me. Especially considering WB left this film to die. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

To be fair with you, most people was by the time of release, after it didn’t even had a premiere. 

In part that’s probably why many people are satisfied with 420M … not only is a good thing for theaters, but it’s also much better than 200M-ish that was starting to feel like a strong possibility. 

Yeah, early sales were "Elemental and Blue Beetle level" so 420M is a relative overperformance tbh, a lot like GOTG 3 because close up to release people were saying 250M domestic total was the ceiling 💀

• Like 2

Variety has Aquaman 2's budget at 215m.

The movie going to finish with only 120-125m domestic.  A 210-215m drop from Aquaman.

Its going to drop around 500m from the first movie internationally. 

A 700m plus drop from the first movie.

This is what normal people would call awful box office performance. 

No one here knows what WB spent on marketing.  A movie with a 215m budget making 400m worldwide with a heavy overseas/China gross is a massive flop.   

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/aquaman-2-jason-momoa-drunk-claims-amber-heard-cut-scenes-elon-musk-letter-1235747775/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

A movie with a 215m budget making 400m worldwide with a heavy overseas/China gross is a massive flop.   

Is it really that China skewed? Only 13% or so of the gross is coming from China. That is not high at all for a CBM

Edited by Bob Train

9 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The movie going to finish with only 120-125m domestic.  A 210-215m drop from Aquaman.

No one here knows what WB spent on marketing.  A movie with a 215m budget making 400m worldwide with a heavy overseas/China gross is a massive flop.   

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/aquaman-2-jason-momoa-drunk-claims-amber-heard-cut-scenes-elon-musk-letter-1235747775/

Variety has published a more recent article claiming Aquaman 2's budget to be $205M. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-aquaman-2-flops-christmas-debut-1235850151/

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Train said:

Is it really that China skewed? Only 13% or so of the gross is coming from China. That is not high at all for a CBM. Similar percent as The Marvels.

Marvels only 7.4% was from China

If Aquaman finishes at 420M then 14.3% will be from China

GOTG was ~10% and Ant-Man 3 was 8%

Don't know why there is such a negative stigma for DC properties here but it's weird. $420M+ WW for the final movie in a dead-end universe that was made a lame duck at the beginning of the year, a movie whose four predecessors are Blue Beetle, The Flash, Shazam 2, and Black Adam, a movie that was left to die by Warner Broa so much so that it didn't even receive a proper premiere, a movie that garnered a 37% on RT and a B Cinemascore, and the final CBM in a year where CBMs have massively disappointed is a lot better than many of you would care to admit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Fair enough, I respect it.

Just seeing Green Bay get a HOF qb for the third time in a row might drive me to insanity is all :( 

Hey now, there were those 11 games of Brett Hundley in 2017! 

493 of last 514 GB games since Week 3 in 1992 - have been started by Favre, Rodgers, and now Love 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Fair enough, I respect it.

Just seeing Green Bay get a HOF qb for the third time in a row might drive me to insanity is all :( 

All you need to do is wait 15 years for the quarterback to become a proven wackjob or grifter.

Can some one post the numbers in the thread of title or something. Maybe pin them to the top cause I just went to box office mojo and they have mean girls in the thousands… umm

i just wanna know how book of Clarence did. I enjoyed the movie.

Edited by eddyxx

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Can some one post the numbers in the thread of title or something. Maybe pin them to the top cause I just went to box office mojo and they have mean girls in the thousands… umm

i just wanna know how book of Clarence did. I enjoyed the movie.

2.6 million over 3 days. So yeah not good. 

For those who care, here are Critics Choice winners. Barbenheimer dominated with Heimer part winning 8 incl Picture and Director. Poor Things that's peaking at the right time won Actress for Stone, Holdovers that hit streaming won 2 acting:

Best Best Picture: Oppenheimer

Director: Nolan

Best Actress:Stone
Best Actor:Giamatti

BSA: RDJ
BSA:Randolph

Best Editing: Oppenheimer

Best Original Screenoplay - Barbie
Best Adapted Acreenoplay- American Fiction

Best Best Cinematography: Oppenheimer
Foreign Film : Anatomy of the Fall (neligible for AMPAS in this categiry only) 
Best Song: Just Ken 
Best Score: Oppenheimer
Best Production Design: Barbie
Best Animated Film: Spiderverse
Risinbg Star: Sessa
Best Comedy - Barbie
Best Costume- Barbie

Best Ensemble: Oppenheimer
Best Makeup:Barbie (inelligible for AMPAS)
Best Visuals: Oppenheimer (Ineligible for AMPAS)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Hey now, there were those 11 games of Brett Hundley in 2017! 

493 of last 514 GB games since Week 3 in 1992 - have been started by Favre, Rodgers, and now Love 

It’s ok, because my Bears are finally using the #1 draft pick to draft a qb that will throw for 4000 yards for the first time in franchise history right?

Right???

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

First of all budget is actually 205m according to variety.

China gross is not really that heavy it's below like 15% . You can't compare it to the original which made like close to 300m there.

Terrible marketing, Rotten and B CS .

Did it drop 700m+ from the original yes WB was clever not to add much on the budget.

A massive flop nah . It will lose money but not much something like 50m. It's going to make it 2x it's production bud.

Marvels couldn't even make 1* it's budget . Flash Either did or not depending if the budget was 220 or 300m ,BB and Shazam barely did.

It's a flop but some just really want to make this sound like a gigantic failure . This movie had everything going against it managing to get to 425-450m with 300m+ Os after such a terrible year is commendable in comparison.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

I understand the haters want to hate, but with a 205M budget and a 430-450M WW total Aquaman will eventually break even with ancilliary revenue. It was a massive dump job and clearly they were expecting far worse. It is the final movie in an abandoned franchise that nobody cares about. Honestly I think WB will see this one as a small win. Obviously that when it was greenlighted nobody expected such weak numbers but things changed a lot. This movie didn't even have a premiere event. It speaks mountains of what WB thinks of it. It is far from a bomb and not even a flop. If you want bombs 2023 gave you plenty. No need to attack this one.

Don't bother quoting me with nonsense that this is a flop or that we can't trust official budgets. I won't even read it. What I said is fact. Anything else is crazy/hater talk.

Can I quote you by saying you get the special mod recommendation for this post? :)