LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (01/19-01/21)

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I mean it's always weird to me people like to use future streaming views of a theatrical release as some financial salvation. Studios which made those movies won't get a single cent from those views, they just sell the rights for a fixed price depending on movie's theatrical perfomance (unless it's their own streaming platform) and maybe some extra points like awards/reception, so it doesn't mean anything. Poorly performed movies are usually sold for a hole of a donut.

Edited by TomThomas

Maybe next weekend Godzilla Minus One Minus Color can hit #1. 
It seems to be selling quite well at the locations that have added showtimes so far. Makes sense that theatres will add more screens for it next week after seeing this. Long shot, but who knows. #1 next weekend might actually only need a 6-6.5 million gross.

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Maybe next weekend Godzilla Minus One Minus Color can hit #1. 
It seems to be selling quite well at the locations that have added showtimes so far. Makes sense that theatres will add more screens for it next week after seeing this. Long shot, but who knows. #1 next weekend might actually only need a 6-6.5 million gross.

nah that's really not going to happen. We already know how re releases are faring. 💀

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I mean it's always weird to me people like to use future streaming views of a theatrical release as some financial salvation. Studios which made those movies won't get a single cent from those views, they just sell the rights for a fixed price depending on movie's theatrical perfomance (unless it's their own streaming platform), so it doesn't mean anything.

Well In the case of the Beekeeper it is their own streaming platform and that's all i was commenting on.  I am sure we could go hours on the streaming money pit in general yes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Well In the case of the Beekeeper it is their own streaming platform and that's all i was commenting on.  I am sure we could go hours on the streaming money pit in general yes. 

MGM also sold Beekeeper to different streamers internationally. In UK it will go to Sky, not Amazon. 

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

nah that's really not going to happen. We already know how re releases are faring. 💀

Yeah I don't think the B&W version of Minus One is going to have some major rebound or something but it will take only 6-8 million to win the box office next weekend it seems. 

Yup, pretty dead marketplace. But at least it's fun to see some crazy low drops thanks to the factors of lack of new product and bounceback from the awful weather in much of the country last weekend.

• Like 2

PT continues to have ok numbers after hitting 1400 theaters. The PTA should be around 1350 this weekend. Will break 20m this weekend and still on track for at least 30m.

American fiction on the other hand not so good. 10%-ish decrease isn’t nice considering it added 200+ locations. So I would expect the movie to have slight increase since Wonka, ABY and migration all managed to pull off 10% drop without expansion. 

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I would not say terrible for the Beekeeper.  Last weekend was propped up by being a holiday weekend and In the end it's still a Jason Statham star vehicle. Even with good WOM the audience that would see it in a theater burns out quickly.  This movie will explode streaming on Amazon I bet. 

Most terrible results for Mean Girls. 

Friday to Friday (with previews counted)

Mean Girls -71.8%

Beekeeper -64%

True Friday to Friday (with previews removed)

Mean Girls -61%

Beekeeper -44%*

(*Not sure if Beekeeper's previous Saturday EA screenings were included in first Friday numbers separate from Thursday preview numbers. If so then its true Friday to Friday drop would be a bit less.)

Taking Variety's overall weekend prediction numbers:

-- If Mean Girls earns $11 M this weekend, that will be a 62% drop from last weekend.

-- If Beekeeper earns $8.4 M this weekend, then that will be a 49.3% drop.

(Estimates from https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/iss-opening-day-beekeeper-mean-girls-1235879982/ )

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

Deadline Weekend Box Office (as of Sat) -- 1 Mean Girls $11 M (-62%); 2 Beekeeper $8.3 M (-50%); 3 Wonka $6.75 (-20%); 4 Anyone But You $5.4 M (-24%); 5 Migration $5.3 M (-15%); 6 Aquaman $3.75 M (-29%); 7 ISS $3.3 M

Per Deadline:

ISS -- *PostTrack a low 49% positive and 27% definite recommend* to go with C- Cinemascore

Total Weekend Box Office $68M; "-8% from same frame" in 2022

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-mean-girls-weak-winter-weekend-1235799017/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, we’re in the thick of actual box office death now. What if ABY stays flat next weekend and wins with like 6m? Wouldn’t surprise me 

I don’t see that happening. It’ll be Mean Girls or The Beekeeper unless Miller’s Girl pulls off a surprise. 

Mean Girls should lead with around 7M. The following weekend doesn't look much better. Argylle's marketing is atrocious. I can see it bombing with a 13-15M OW.

• Like 1