Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If you want more original movies, you have to support the ones we get, not wish for the sequels to fail 

This I'll agree with; but also, studios dug their own grave. For the longest time now they've been happy to just play IP cryptkeeper. They've been happy to push sequels and invest less and less in originals. And for animation in particular, happy to just throw trem on streaming services too.

Audiences didn't just wake up one day and decide they no longer wanted original content, have been trained for it. Now it is what it is.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

It’s still early, but the Panda jumps aren’t as great as I was hoping for today at the locations I track. Based on pre-sale and walk-up data from the past few days, I was thinking 25M could be possible today. Bringing that down to 22M for now.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

This I'll agree with; but also, studios dug their own grave. For the longest time now they've been happy to just play IP cryptkeeper. They've been happy to push sequels and invest less and less in originals. And for animation in particular, happy to just throw trem on streaming services too.

Audiences didn't just wake up one day and decide they no longer wanted original content, have been trained for it. Now it is what it is.

What this really is about is it's a lot easier to start discourse complaining about popular movies you don't like being successful over championing lesser-known ones. 

There are plenty of interesting, original films that get released every year. Maybe they're not consistently the kind of box office hits they might've been before, but does that really matter as long as they're still being made? Even if the American conglomerates fully embraced originality, you can't expect it to be spoonfed and catered to your personal tastes. You have to be willing to seek out stuff that interests you.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

What this really is about is it's a lot easier to start discourse complaining about popular movies you don't like being successful over championing lesser known ones. 

There are plenty of interesting, original films that get released every year. Maybe they're not consistently the kind of box office hits they might've been before, but does that really matter as long as they're still being made? Even if the American conglomerates fully embraced originality, you can't expect it to be spoonfed and catered to your personal tastes. You have to be willing to seek out stuff that interests you.

I think that last part is key. It's easier than ever to watch media that caters to your specific tastes. For instance, I get most of my comedy enjoyment from dropout.tv, a streaming service from the former College Humor, rather than from the film industry or television.

These days, you have to prove your original idea is good before people come on board. Back when Toy Story or Shrek came out, you had no other options AND they were great films. 

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
werd formatting

I would say mini-majors like A24, Neon, and GKIDS are helping to fill the need quite nicely as far as cinematic fare goes. 

Wild Robot being a breakout hit will go a lot further towards helping that cause for mainstream animation than KFP4 flopping. Indeed, I wouldn't mind some backup in my $200mil+ club.

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken Was a original movie last year from dreamworks and people trolled it how bad it bombed 

I rather dreamworks exist than not exist

It was also trolled pretty hard prior to release for how awful it looked visually and how redundant and boring the story was. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Dune 2 is an Oscar blockbuster

True, I remember John Campea, after coming out of a Dune 2 screening, proclaimed that Oppenheimer was lucky that Dune 2 didn't premiere in it's original November release date because Dune 2 would've reigned supreme over it during Oscar night. And I don't necessarily think that he's wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Thank goodness for that. These movies are the only gigs @The Panda can get in Hollywood. Though maybe there’s an opening for Zootopia 2.

Hey now, I’m a big hit with nature documentaries like Pandas and Born in China

Dune 2 would have certainly competed with Oppenheimer and possibly prevented it from clean sweeping if it released in it's original date. It released a lot closer to Oscar season than Oppy. I think it would have taken tech categories for sure, even though Oppy probably would still take Picture/Director.

• Like 1

Ruby Gillman bombed because people are bigoted against Deep Ones. Obviously Wild Robot will do much better because there are many robosexuals who prefer doing it with their virtual friends rather than a real woman who devotes herself to Cthulhu.

29 minutes ago, Becker said:

True, I remember John Campea, after coming out of a Dune 2 screening, proclaimed that Oppenheimer was lucky that Dune 2 didn't premiere in it's original November release date because Dune 2 would've reigned supreme over it during Oscar night. And I don't necessarily think that he's wrong. 

lol

these over statements are just funny.

In fact, the luckiest one was Dune. Not because Oppenheimer is far better (in fact both movies achieved cinema highest level possible). However if you know how awarding season works you know why Dune and Denis would not stand a chance against Oppenheimer.

I consider Killers Of the Flower Moon post pandemics best movie. Yet I’m not naive, Nolan and Universal insane award campaign and the first 1 billion ish for a high profile movie since Lord of Rings make Oppenheimer unbeatable. 

Don’t be naive, Oscar is not about “the best movie”, it’s the “best movie with the best award campaign”.

Edited by leoh
  • Like 6

Just now, leoh said:

lol

these over statements are just funny.

In fact, the luckiest one was Dune. Not because Oppenheimer is far better (in fact both movies are at the highest level possible in cinema). However if you know how awarding season works you know why Dune and Denis would not stand a chance against Oppenheimer.

I consider Killers Of the Flower Moon post pandemics best movie. Yet I’m not naive, Nolan and Universal insane awarding campaign and the first 1 billion ish for a high profile movie since Lord of Rings make Oppenheimer unbeatable. 

Don’t be naive, Oscar is not about “the best movie”, it’s the “best movie with the best award campaign”.

Seriously, you need to give it a rest. There's movies other than Oppenheimer that are deserving. Oppenheimer itself got lucky because of the "Barbenheimer" slot.

• Knock It Off 5

Moderation

Okay, I don't know what's going on with this beef over Leoh, but it's very clear folks aren't going to see eye to eye, and it's derailing the thread. At this point, please place users you dislike on your Ignore list and call it a day. We're done with this constant fighting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Dune 2 would have certainly competed with Oppenheimer and possibly prevented it from clean sweeping if it released in it's original date. It released a lot closer to Oscar season than Oppy. I think it would have taken tech categories for sure, even though Oppy probably would still take Picture/Director.

I would still have Oppenheimer winning editing and cinematography. Dune wouldn't be win competitive in above the line categories (though certainly would be nominated for Best Picture!) either and certainly not in adapted screenplay. I just don't see where this narrative that Dune 2 is going to be an Oscar winning behemoth is coming from... it reminds me of the people who thought Barbie would sweep. Plus, since Dune Messiah is all but guaranteed, Villeneuve & co would likely get the Return of the King treatment if they stick the landing. There's no incentive to award the second film in a trilogy.  

Edited by Dreadnought