Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

There is usually an underperformance whenever there are multiple aspiring tentpoles over consecutive (or almost) weeks so Dune and Kung Fu Panda doing better than anticipated could be not-so-great news for either (or both of) Ghostbusters and Godzilla x Kong, both of which feel largely buzz-less at the moment.

• Knock It Off 1

Ghostbusters seems like the likely casualty to me, no one seems that interested in it.

Honestly the rest of the year looks like a pretty steady drip of movies with significant box office potential though. No Mario in April but a pretty diverse slate of high-concept adult movies, and August/September looks like a downright blockbuster lineup.

Edited by AniNate

Just now, AniNate said:

Ghostbusters seems like the likely casualty to me, no one seems that interested in it.

It's giving me Shazam 2 vibes tbh. Won't go nearly as low as that did in all likelihood, but does seem as if no one would be shocked by a sub-$100M total for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's giving me Shazam 2 vibes tbh. Won't go nearly as low as that did in all likelihood, but does seem as if no one would be shocked by a sub-$100M total for it.

Anecdotal, but the trailer never seems to get good reception whenever I see it, and I've seen it a lot the last few months.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire reeks of "Sequel to a well-liked film that nobody asked for" syndrome.

Seeing the OG characters isn't the selling point Sony thinks it is to modern movie-goers.

For us Millennials, I admit it looks like your average episode of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. That's good enough for me. But my 13 year old nephew who didn't grow up with that in his pop-culture diet? 'Fraid not.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Anecdotal, but the trailer never seems to get good reception whenever I see it, and I've seen it a lot the last few months.

Was just about to say the same thing. At my screening for Dune the trailers for both Ghostbusters and Godzilla x Kong played and they both had audible groans and mock laughing. 

Love Lies Bleeding's first day PTA is a bit below the first days of Dream Scenario and Bodies Bodies Bodies, so it's probably on track for a $30-35k PTA for the weekend. Decent enough start I guess, maybe it can make $2-3M next weekend in wide release before falling off for being too weird?

I'd also second the Frozen Empire under-performance predictions. The review and social media embargo are lifting at the same time, only 29 hours before the first public screenings begin, which seems rather bad for a movie that should easily have fanboys that can tweet out excited responses to it earlier to build buzz. And the casual interest for that franchise just seems rather low, considering the Lady Ghostbusters movie and Afterlife basically made the same amount of money in America. 

5 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire reeks of "Sequel to a well-liked film that nobody asked for" syndrome.

Seeing the OG characters isn't the selling point Sony thinks it is to modern movie-goers.

For us Millennials, I admit it looks like your average episode of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. That's good enough for me. But my 13 year old nephew who didn't grow up with that in his pop-culture diet? 'Fraid not.

It would've been a selling point if they didn't blew it multiple times, they should've done real Ghostbusters 3 back in 2013 instead of what they did after, they did a massive damage to the franchise. Now nobody cares about old cast anymore. The biggest problem with all those legacy sequels is they didn't create younger characters people would care about. Only Creed managed to make one, all others relied on old cast. The biggest reason why Frozen Empire will likely flop is because Afterlife didn't create great next generation characters people would want to follow after old cast is gone.

• Like 2

Biggest problem for Frozen Empire is no hook. I was hoping for a Vigo the Carpathian or Samhain plot for the sequel film but this is neither.

Godzilla x Kong can still go, it's hard to permakill Godzilla, especially immediately after Minus One.

Godzilla x Kong is hard to get a read on, but also seems to have less of a "who is this for?" identity crisis than the one Ghostbusters appears to be facing. The chances the movie will be nearly as good as Minus One are practically nonexistent, and the hook is the same as the last one (which had the misfortune of being a day-and-date release while COVID was still very much a problem), but Transformers last year did prove there is still an audience of some sorts for a mindless CGI fest and it'll be devoid of competition until summer, so we'll see how things for it look over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Feels like it's gonna be a squeaker to get this to $100M. Maybe next weekend being a breather weekend will finally give it a softer weekend drop?

it won’t, it will lose even more locations next week. Just because there’ll be no blockbuster release doesn’t mean there’ll be no movie releasing!

OL will end lower than 90M this weekend so how do you think it could make 10M in 7 days lol

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Biggest problem for Frozen Empire is no hook. I was hoping for a Vigo the Carpathian or Samhain plot for the sequel film but this is neither.

Godzilla x Kong can still go, it's hard to permakill Godzilla, especially immediately after Minus One.

Godzilla X Kong equally lacks a hook and is also following a well-liked film that commercially overperformed.

Even more than Frozen Empire, strongly gives off "more of the same" vibes. Which if that's your cup of coffee, God bless. But that isn't going to be enough?

Just now, Shawn Robbins said:

19.4 official est from studio

wow

So those optimistic projections at 60M seem possible now, right?

really impressive !!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Just realized KFP4 would become Dreamworks Animation's highest opening since Madagascar 3 in 2012 with 60m. 

What's crazy is they haven't had as big of a hit domestically (and maybe even globally, but not as sure about that one) since Madagascar 3. Makes me wonder why that's the one franchise we never hear plans about returning. You'd think it'd be next priority after getting Shrek 5 off the ground.

• Like 1