kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

I saw something last night at a sold out IMAX showing of “KxG: Dumb Money” that I hadn’t seen in forever:

Two kids, like 10 year old boys, who clearly snuck into the theater and were seathopping until they were just sitting on the ground staring over seats.

Between that and Wingard’s passion for colorful guts and oozes, cinema is back baby.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

55 minutes ago, John Marston said:

feel like Twisters is sabotaging itself by releasing one week before Deadpool 3

Yeah, I was initially not very bullish on DP3 given the Shawn Levy of it all, but it’s pretty clear the buzz is there in a way where it just isn’t for a bulk of recent mcu stuff. $400m dom feels likely? 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I know I keep saying it, but loads of you are sleeping on Twisters.  Easy $200 million plus domestic 

They’ll be hoping so, $200m+ production budget apparently. 

I’m really looking forward to it. 

It was obvious Glen Powell was a star in Anyone But You, so I’m not sure why that twitter person would only realise from seeing this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

As we saw last July, there’s room for two big guns.  Same demos or different? I think there’s parallels, but then also plenty of female moviegoers who will be all over Twisters. We’ll see. I’m fully onboard it shocking everybody.  Partly rose-tinted nostalgia for the first film which I absolutely love, and a hunch that it’s got the goods 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool leans more urban and younger (and possibly less white?) than Twisters. Multiple big films can definitely coexist during the summer.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Deadpool leans more urban and younger (and possibly less white?) than Twisters. Multiple big films can definitely coexist during the summer.

it will lose PLF screens immediately causing it to drop hard no matter what 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Yeah that's my worry is it will get Dead Reckoned if they stick to the 19th. Move it up to the 12th. I know Sony has the untitled Scarjo-Tatum movie from Apple scheduled for that day but it will move if the Twisters buzz is strong. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it will lose PLF screens immediately causing it to drop hard no matter what 

I don't think the movie will be PLF heavy enough for it to matter. Deadpool 3 isn't going to be a Endgame/NWH/Barbenheimer type phenomenon for Twisters to suffer the same fate as Pikachu/Matrix/MI7. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was gonna make a joke about how Twisters appealing to middle america was ironic given its director, but then I remembered how Minari felt like one of the quintessential “American” movies of the last few years - and makes the fact that it got a Golden Globe nomination for best foreign picture even more, uh… strange haha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't think Twisters will do that well. Actual natural disasters are prevalent enough that seeing them on film no longer feels escapist.

there were no disasters occurring when other disaster movies came out?

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

there were no disasters occurring when other disaster movies came out?

I don't recall too many gigantic state-wrecking fires or tornadoes exploding across the entire landscape in the 1990s. Seeing a CGI cow get thrown around by a tornado still looked "exotic" in 1996.

4 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Zaslav's WB is on a winning streak.  People hate him but look at the results now.

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Zas just can't stop winning in the morning, baby.

Y’all are weird.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't think Twisters will do that well. Actual natural disasters are prevalent enough that seeing them on film no longer feels escapist.

I mean they were still quite prevalent when the first movie came out. 

Edited by AniNate

At my AMC showing of GXK today,  we saw 10 previews. Before we had the commercials  and the 2 minute long AMC intro and of course at the end Nikki K had to do her thing. 25 minutes from show time start to actual movie starting. Is there some study these chains are doing telling them people want this . If a movie fanatics like me are getting annoyed can't imagine what the GA/casuals think. Is this how we bring them back in bigger numbers? 

• Like 1