kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Wowie zowie, that is crazy. I had absolutely no clue. Truly. I was for sure not intentionally ignoring a fact I already know to find an excuse to thirst for Timothee yet again. Thank you so much for the help, chief.

giphy.gif

That text in the bottom right was the first time in ages I was reminded that this guy was a cannibal once. It's almost as crazy of a time as the one where he made love with a peach...

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, it's a little surprising GxK OW will likely be under 80M.

People were expecting more after Friday.

It is Easter, so it makes sense why its Saturday and Sunday drops would be steeper than usual. Most of the business is shifted to the preceding Friday, as most people spend the remainder with their loved ones as one does during any given holiday.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Is Joker 2 a CBM sequel or a psychological thriller sequel or somewhere on a spectrum in between the two extremes?

Answer me that, and I think we can narrow down the plausible ranges for that film considerably . (Outside of it being very good or very bad of course)

To answer your question, I believe the first one was both, a fresh take on a CB character to some, a social commentary wrapped in clown makeup to others. Keep in mind the OW was in same range as both Venom films, yet it legged out to a $100M+ higher domestic total, as the WOM of that cultural relevance at that moment in time spread 

The comp I keep circling back to are the IT films, where the first rode a wave of 80s nostalgia horror fueled by Stranger Things to a total ($329/$704) it had no business reaching by any objective comparison, while the sequel lacking that accelerant dropped to $212/$473. And interestingly, the -36% domestic decline is almost identical to BPWF - is that roughly the “cultural impact” boost?

I think one should start with like $180-$200M domestic (and whatever that translates to WW), then decide how much of a Gaga/Harley bump vs CBM decline effect to apply. Also think this October might be a very poor time to revisit these particular social themes, as they may not be seen as escapism in that moment in time 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That text in the bottom right was the first time in ages I was reminded that this guy was a cannibal once.

That movie is so funny because he doesn’t have any sexual chemistry with her female interest, but the 5 minute flirt scene with a guy is very strong in chemistry and tension. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That text in the bottom right was the first time in ages I was reminded that this guy was a cannibal once. It's almost as crazy of a time as the one where he made love with a peach...

And he's a sexy cannibal. Like look at that hair. Just...just such perfect hair. Holy shit.

bones-and-all-timmy-tim.gif

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WW - Done

Us - Almost done

Dom - Will likely miss due to Canada. Dune 2 $10M in Canada and GxK be $6M.

Well overall is what matters at the end of the day.

When people ask which is highest grossing movie of all time, answer is Avatar, no one says Force Awakening unless you add domestic.

So Godzilla & Kong have won where it matters the most.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WW - Done

Us - Almost done

Dom - Will likely miss due to Canada. Dune 2 $10M in Canada and GxK be $6M.

To be fair, if combine China and Japan OW, Dune 2 WW OW would be 200M.

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Well then it should've released there too at same time, but it didn't.

GxK also isn't released in few places, including Japan where it'll release next month.

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Well overall is what matters at the end of the day.

When people ask which is highest grossing movie of all time, answer is Avatar, no one says Force Awakening unless you add domestic.

So Godzilla & Kong have won where it matters the most.

I mean, they don't say Force Awakens because being part of the Sequel Trilogy is a massive asterisk, not because it doesn't have a legit dom record. If your franchise is bad/devalued enough its accomplishments won't be recognized or remembered. Nobody remembers Revenge of the Fallen except the Puerto Rico enthusiasts on here.

• Haha 1

I would bet on Joker 2 dropping considerable if they just keep the same vibe of the first one. Wakanda Forever for example probably was hurted by both the loss of Chadwick and the movie not being so different than the first one despite that. 

Joker 2 otherwise is doing a 180º and turning into something totally different. That’s the hook. People can think whatever they want and i definitely think there’ll be discourse about it, but i bet everyone will want to watch just to see what the hell they are doing. Unexpected things sell in franchises, they create the hook, the movie just needs to be good. 

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean, they don't say Force Awakens because being part of the Sequel Trilogy is a massive asterisk, not because it doesn't have a legit dom record. If your franchise is bad/devalued enough its accomplishments won't be recognized or remembered. Nobody remembers Revenge of the Fallen except the Puerto Rico enthusiasts on here.

It's more like when you count, most records are measured from Worldwide.

Highest Grossing is automatically thought as Worldwide, for Domestic you have to add Domestic specially.

21 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Sure but GxK will still be bigger.

It hasn’t released in Japan either.

Missing Middle East.

Missing Germany and France.

All markets GxK be ~$225M & Dune be $205M.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, it's a little surprising GxK OW will likely be under 80M.

People were expecting more after Friday.

Perhaps a tad too much optimism as Thur and Fri reached higher end of possibilities, but a Sat drop from Good Friday leading to IM in 8-8.5x range was always a very real possibility 

$80M isn’t dead, Easter drops vary, but beating Dune II isn’t happening 

18 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Btw what’s a normal drop the second weekend for an Easter movie like GxK? Will it be higher than usual next weekend? 

Difficult to say “normal”, because Easter moves on the calendar, and the big opener each year varies in genre, plus have some Wed and Thur openings in there 

Would probably start at -60% give or take (see F8ate of Furious) as removing Thur preview plus Good Fri and Easter Mon boost leaves a much lower baseline 

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Difficult to say “normal”, because Easter moves on the calendar, and the big opener each year varies in genre, plus have some Wed and Thur openings in there 

Would probably start at -60% give or take (see F8ate of Furious) as removing Thur preview plus Good Fri and Easter Mon boost leaves a much lower baseline 

Sorta what I figured. So something like 35m+ next weekend is possible. God I can see the doom and gloom on the kaiju forums now….. 

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1