kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

That's pretty good right?

This movie is having some pretty funny titles in Asia.

In my country (Vietnam), it's called "The Empire's Doomsday" and the marketing just centered around how America is fked in there as a selling point.

• Haha 10

The last original live-action film to open above $20M was M3GAN 15 months ago Cocaine Bear over a year ago, so any weekend number above that figure would be great, nay incredible considering that A24, an 11-year-old distributor, has only ever had two movies (Hereditary and Talk to Me) make over $10M in a single weekend before.

Edited by JonathanMB

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$3.5m previews is great. 

$21m would be franchise frontloaded though. Is there something here that’s likely to cause front loading? 

Possibly the high concept title preceding an Alex Garland movie. The audience at my showing wasn't the typical A24 draw.

Idk, we'll see. Seems like it's being appreciated well enough in IMDB/Lbxd circles so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

$3.5m previews is great. 

$21m would be franchise frontloaded though. Is there something here that’s likely to cause front loading? 

I'd guess not. In any case, $25 OW would be absolutely amazing for Civil War. It could even be profitable from ticket sales alone, which I don't think anyone thought would happen.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-civil-war-1235882968/

A24‘s Alex Garland political thriller, Civil War, is off to a solid start with $2.9M in Thursday previews, the movie on its way to $20M+ opening. Nobody, rivals nor A24 are complaining about that for what is the studio’s priciest pic — under $60M before P&A.

Critics are good with the Kirsten Dunst, Nick Offerman, and Cailee Spaeny movie at 83% on Rotten Tomatoes and audiences at 86%.

• Like 3

2.9M is not 3.5M WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO MOVIES

IT IS BARELY FRIDAY AND I AM ALREADY HERE TO SAY

BOMB

nuclear explosion GIF

• Like 4
  • Heart 2
  • Haha 6

Probably naive question, but a bit new to box office stuff. The-numbers has some of the Thursday results posted: https://thenumbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

There are numbers next to the titles, GxK is (1), Dune is (4), First Omen is (5)—presumably its place at the box office. The KFP4 & Monkey Man numbers aren't posted here yet, and yet it already seems to "know" that Dune will be (4). So if that's accurate, it seems like MM & KFP4 are (2) and (3) (in some order).

This is a long way of asking—if the numbers for a movie haven't been posted yet, are those ranks still generally accurate? Like can I deduce that probably Monkey Man & KFP4 are probably higher than $635K, because they must be (2) and (3) on the table? My first assumption would be that they don't have any numbers for KFP4, in which case they can't know if Dune will be (4) or (3) or etc. 

24 minutes ago, Ziddletwix said:

Probably naive question, but a bit new to box office stuff. The-numbers has some of the Thursday results posted: https://thenumbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

There are numbers next to the titles, GxK is (1), Dune is (4), First Omen is (5)—presumably its place at the box office. The KFP4 & Monkey Man numbers aren't posted here yet, and yet it already seems to "know" that Dune will be (4). So if that's accurate, it seems like MM & KFP4 are (2) and (3) (in some order).

This is a long way of asking—if the numbers for a movie haven't been posted yet, are those ranks still generally accurate? Like can I deduce that probably Monkey Man & KFP4 are probably higher than $635K, because they must be (2) and (3) on the table? My first assumption would be that they don't have any numbers for KFP4, in which case they can't know if Dune will be (4) or (3) or etc. 

I believe the numbers in parenthesis are ranks for the previous day.  Current day rankings will be in the first column.   

• Like 1

Slightly disappointed by 2.9m after seeing strong late bump in the presale, especially we aren’t clear if the preview include EA. Looking at other original R-rated action film like bullet train, beekeepers and Monkey man, CW should be able to clear low 20 but if it start playing out more like drama akin to KoTFM then high 20m is possible.

41 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I believe the numbers in parenthesis are ranks for the previous day.  Current day rankings will be in the first column.   

Got it! That makes sense. Missed that because sometimes the ranks are stable-ish, so the given rankings seemed plausible for the current day, but it'd fit that they're just starting w/ yesterday's rank. Thanks! 

Surprisingly high PLF demand for Civil War compared to normie screenings around here. I guess the marketing was really effective at pushing it as something like a blockbuster. Crocker Park 7pm IMAX showing nearly sold out. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Surprisingly high PLF demand for Civil War compared to normie screenings around here. I guess the marketing was really effective at pushing it as something like a blockbuster. Crocker Park 7pm IMAX showing nearly sold out. 

If that's an AMC, all their subscribers just watch Imax (or whatever PLF something is on) every week b/c it's free for them, so why not.  It would tend to confirm a low GA turnout and a high subscriber one...