kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If that's an AMC, all their subscribers just watch Imax (or whatever PLF something is on) every week b/c it's free for them, so why not.  It would tend to confirm a low GA turnout and a high subscriber one...

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's a Regal, there aren't any AMCs worth going to around here. I am seeing a similar kind of elevated demand for the Cinemark XDs

Yep I think it will play well in PLF’s genuinely.

Its early previews here were IMAX too. 

47 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Expecting an awful CS for Civil War. The movie pulled a lot of punches and is the cinematic equivalent of empty calories. 

Seeing a lot of mixed reactions surprisingly. I guess a big budget A24 film is still a A24 film.

Edited by PrinceRico
  • Like 1

I'm just relieved we're finally past the "reading into critical reviews to confirm your biases" and manufactured controversies phase and people are deciding now how much they like the movie themselves

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm just relieved we're finally past the "reading into critical reviews to confirm your biases" and manufactured controversies phase and people are deciding now how much they like the movie themselves

RT actually has identical 82% scores (critics and audience) right now.  One is usually a good sign; one is usually a bad sign.  Flip your coin.

• Like 1

IMDb and letterboxd so far look like they're receptive but not hugely enthusiastic. Idk if Abigail/Ministry have much hype but if one or both of those gets good reviews I could see them cutting into Civil War's legs.

If I'm being honest I'd have to say while the movie has interesting ideas and imagery to chew on and AG's films always have a certain degree of watchability imo, it's not a movie I'm going to go out of my way to defend. I still think the vicious hatred toward it before most anyone had seen it was way out of line though.

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

IMDb and letterboxd so far look like they're receptive but not hugely enthusiastic. Idk if Abigail/Ministry have much hype but if one or both of those gets good receptions I could see them cutting into Civil War's legs.

If I'm being honest I'd have to say while the movie has interesting ideas and imagery to chew on and AG's films always have a certain degree of watchabiljty imo, it's not a movie I'm going to go out of my way to defend. I still think the vicious hatred toward it before most anyone had seen it was way out of line though.

Pre sales for Abigail and Ministry look like both movies will open below 10m

• Sad 2

Just now, AniNate said:

IMDb and letterboxd so far look like they're receptive but not hugely enthusiastic. Idk if Abigail/Ministry have much hype but if one or both of those gets good receptions I could see them cutting into Civil War's legs.

If I'm being honest I'd have to say while the movie has interesting ideas and imagery to chew on and AG's films always have a certain degree of watchabiljty imo, it's not a movie I'm going to go out of my way to defend. I still think the vicious hatred toward it before most anyone had seen it was way out of line though.

Abigail is getting a decent-sized marketing push, I think $12M or so is reasonable for that. Not expecting much for Ministry though, even the relatively low theater count is screaming "dump and run."

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Abigail is getting a decent-sized marketing push, I think $12M or so is reasonable for that. Not expecting much for Ministry though, even the relatively low theater count is screaming "dump and run."

I keep getting ads on tiktok for Abigail and Ministry. So they are both trying to reach the younger audience.  

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I keep getting ads on tiktok for Abigail and Ministry. So they are both trying to reach the younger audience.  

It won't be a breakout but I think it can at least match the numbers that the schlockier horror fare so far this year (Night Swim, Imaginary) have been putting up.

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Lionsgate way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ministry at least has strong sales for early shows tomorrow. Abigail has done nothing so far. 

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ministry at least has strong sales for early shows tomorrow. Abigail has done nothing so far. 

Horror is famously very walkup friendly. The next week will tell us more.

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Lionsgate way.

If the filmmakers had expected the movie to be a hit, they definitely wouldn't have named it The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

That title doomed it from the beginning.

Edited by filmlover

I loved Civil War; my GF absolutely hated it. FWIW I’ve only lived in America for the last 3 years while she’s been here for the last 10. Idk how much of that played a role in our differing outlooks on the movie, but I will concede that between this and Men, I’m starting to think that Garland struggles with writing women

Edited by TMP

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I loved Civil War; my GF absolutely hated it. FWIW I’ve only lived in America for the last 3 years while she’s been here for the last 10. Idk how much of that played a role in our differing outlooks on the movie, but I will concede that between this and Men, I’m starting to think that Garland struggles with writing women

WHAT

Here I was thinking you were a Yankee this whole time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anecdotal, but Civil War walkups tonight are not as strong as they were yesterday in BC. Weather is beautiful so maybe it’s just a one-off, but I should probably temper any expectations.

If I had to guess, 8.5-9 Friday including previews? But that’s a very very rough guess. I’ll know a bit more in a few hours.

Anyways, Civil War time :) 

• Like 1

Friends of mine who went to see this (about five) hated it. A common complaint is that they anticipated a gritty, dark political action movie based on the marketing and got something very different.

I find this interesting, because it didn't look like an action film at least to me. Anecdotal for sure, but how many people are also going to enter the movie with that mindset?

Added note: Not a lot of people in that theater were interested in this on a Friday night. More people were apparently buying tickets for GxK according to them.

Edited by NoobSaibot

3 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Friends of mine who went to see this (about five) hated it. A common complaint is that they anticipated a gritty, dark political action movie based on the marketing and got something very different.

I find this interesting, because it didn't look like an action film at least to me. Anecdotal for sure, but how many people are also going to enter the movie with that mindset?

Added note: Not a lot of people in that theater were interested in this on a Friday night. More people were apparently buying tickets for GxK according to them.

It is an action movie but without any context for what the war is being fought over, what each territory is about and with leads who are not compelling in any way the action just feels emotionally exhausting and loud. 

• Like 2