kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wait so they’re giving some IMAX back to Dune the weekend it goes to digital? 

Timothee Supremacy is the most powerful force on Earth. If Timothee Supremacy demands IMAX, it shall get IMAX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rough drops for Monkey Man and The First Omen suggests that their appeal was always going to be on the limited side. The holdovers otherwise are posting acceptable drops (Godzilla x Kong lost all IMAX/PLF screens this weekend).

Civil War posting a great start, A24 will be pleased as they start to branch out into becoming a more mainstream-ish studio. 

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Did Civil War suck up the oxygen yesterday or something. Terrible holds for the holdovers. Maybe last week there was still a spring break affect and this week there is none.

I looked at the percent drops.Actually not that terrible for the holdovers except for last week's movies Monkey Man and Omen. Not surprising for those two I guess. 

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I see spy x imax showtimes for next week but not dune 2 yet. I suspect that's gonna be at the discretion of individual theaters, if civil war continues to do solid business I don't imagine they'll feel very compelled to bring dune 2 back unless they're a really big theater with multiple IMAX screens or deem adding more showtimes viable 

Yeah, usually when these "back in IMAX" re-releases happen it's because of a lull in the schedule that allows the theaters to decide if the current holdover is worth sacrificing showtimes to the older film. Since Civil War is actually doing pretty well in a lot of places, I'm guessing most of them will split showtimes with Dune, unless it was a theater where Dune was still in high demand when it left.

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wait so they’re giving some IMAX back to Dune the weekend it goes to digital? 

What sort of message does it send out as it gets rushed to digital for no reason at all. 

Civil War should keep those screens to itself in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

What sort of message does it send out as it gets rushed to digital for no reason at all. 

Civil War should keep those screens to itself in my opinion. 

Nothing. No message at all.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla X Kong looks like it won’t pass 200M domestically 

I mean not surprising. Only one of the Monarch verse movies has done 200 DOM. I think some were hoping just like Dune  not having the Hybrid release factor for the follow-up was going to turbocharge  the numbers but it did  not happen. Some of the novelty was lost. A final total of 180-200 is nothing to be disappointed about though.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Like clockwork 😉

Eric is right. Digital does not affect these movies because you still have to pay 20.00 or whatever. It's when they go to the streaming services Max and D+,Netflix ect ect.

• Like 1

Monkey Man and Omen prime examples of how fast the fall off is nowadays if you don't catch the zeitgeist - legs are a more all or nothing proposition than ever, and audiences just don't have a reason to see those films in theaters once they flop unless they get award noms. Shame.

Excellent number for Civil War - a mini Challengers breakout combined with that would be proof of quality+concept still carrying some real weight, albeit less often.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

Eric is right. Digital does not affect these movies because you still have to pay 20.00 or whatever. It's when they go to the streaming services Max and D+,Netflix ect ect.

Oh I know. I anticipated the reaction. 

Anything I write about PVOD/streaming being rushed out and Eric bites every time for some reason. 

I agree on the PVOD element of what you’re saying by the way. Despite it being utterly pointless to rush a film like Dune out in my opinion. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean not surprising. Only one of the Monarch verse movies has done 200 DOM. I think some were hoping just like Dune  not having the Hybrid release factor for the follow-up was going to turbocharge.

i mean while not a Dune 2 boost, making close 100M more than your predecessor on a significantly smaller budget is still a big win

also helps the merch and toy sales are better than any non batman and spider-man superhero property 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean not surprising. Only one of the Monarch verse movies has done 200 DOM. I think some were hoping just like Dune  not having the Hybrid release factor for the follow-up was going to turbocharge  the numbers but it did  not happen. Some of the novelty was lost. A final total of 180-200 is nothing to be disappointed about though.

@Jake Gittes brought up an interesting point where the Monsterverse movies are arguably like Fast and Furious where people will likely go once for some goofy dumb fun, but they aren't really all that rewatchable (for certain people. Hold your horses @Brainbug, I know you're special). F&F aren't the leggiest films out there.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

KFP4 should get to about 174M end of this weekend, unless my math is wrong. Following Home's legs would get it to about 195M, which is kind of annoying. So close to 200M and yet so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

KFP4 should get to about 174M end of this weekend, unless my math is wrong. Following Home's legs would get it to about 195M, which is kind of annoying. So close to 200M and yet so far.

Feels like it had some really bad drops in some weekends.

12 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

G×K as well. :whosad: