kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

This is the second week in a row where I was somewhat interested in a movie and by the time it came out i'm like eh I will wait for streaming.  Civil  War and Monkey  Man. The stuff I  read about both movies just in the end I just can't pull the trigger and go see them. My friends and family are not interested nor are they even aware of these movies. Don't feel like spending the money and driving 15-20 minutes to the two closest movie theaters. If I a movie lover like I who loves going to the movies does this then I certainly understand the casuals/GA and why they may not go. My next movie will probably be The Fall Guy in 3 weeks.

• Like 3

SXSW is a double edged sword, can help get good buzz out for films that might not otherwise be on people's radars, but on the other hand it's typically a more enthusiastic genre crowd than the critic/moviegoing audience at large and can set up expectations that the movie can't meet. In this case I do think it helped Civil War's upfront buzz to a certain extent.

As far as Fall Guy goes I'm sorta anticipating its review aggregate will meet a similar fate when the local critics get their say, but hopefully that's at least much more of a mainstream crowdpleaser. 

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

IMDb and letterboxd so far look like they're receptive but not hugely enthusiastic. Idk if Abigail/Ministry have much hype but if one or both of those gets good reviews I could see them cutting into Civil War's legs.

If I'm being honest I'd have to say while the movie has interesting ideas and imagery to chew on and AG's films always have a certain degree of watchability imo, it's not a movie I'm going to go out of my way to defend. I still think the vicious hatred toward it before most anyone had seen it was way out of line though.

From what I've read, it seems like the movie refuses to commit to anything and makes it seem like the press would be a bulwark and very respected. Feels like an idea from the 90s.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

SXSW is a double edged sword, can help get good buzz out for films that might not otherwise be on people's radars, but on the other hand it's typically a more enthusiastic genre crowd than the critic/moviegoing audience at large and can set up expectations that the movie can't meet. In this case I do think it helped Civil War's upfront buzz to a certain extent.

As far as Fall Guy goes I'm sorta anticipating its review aggregate will meet a similar fate when the local critics get their say, but hopefully that's at least much more of a mainstream crowdpleaser. 

Yeah it will be interesting what the reviews are like once the local regular critics start reviewing the Fall Guy. I think it will stay strong though since it is a mainstream crowd pleaser by all indications.  If anything I would think the reception would be worse at SWSW for that with the festival crowd than War or Monkey had.

• Like 1

really interested in the cinema score because this movie  was clearly made by someone who isn't from America and doesn't have a full grasp of its modern political climate 

it's a movie about a civil war in modern America that desperately doesn't want to be about a civil war in modern America 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

it's a movie about a civil war in modern America that desperately doesn't want to be about a civil war in modern America 

It is not. It doesn't position itself as a movie about a civil war in modern America. Even imdb synopsis says "A journey across a dystopian future America"

Edited by cinema pal

17 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

It is not. It doesn't position itself as a movie about a civil war in modern America. Even imdb synopsis says "A journey across a dystopian future America"

the movie is called Civil War 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've just watched it and I was very disappointed. There's no context or explanation about anything. Things happen and just keep happening because they have to happen.

I felt nothing during the finale. Sure, the sound was really good ( I'll give that ) but everything else was basically just anything else. This movie is called Civil War but it refuses to focus on Civil War. It's really weird. Acting wasn't bad , but none of the characters matter in my view.

That ending was so pathetic. I actually liked The Hunt ( 2020 ) much more than that. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just watched it and I was very disappointed. There's no context or explanation about anything. Things happen and just keep happening because they have to happen.

I felt nothing during the finale. Sure, the sound was really good ( I'll give that ) but everything else was basically just anything else. This movie is called Civil War but it refuses to focus on Civil War. It's really weird. Acting wasn't bad , but none of the characters matter in my view.

That ending was so pathetic. I actually liked The Hunt ( 2020 ) much more than that. 

The Hunt wasn’t perfect but it was far more entertaining. 

• Like 1

Weren't there tons of tweets saying this is the most intense movie of all time and your heart will stop and you haven't seen anything like it, it's like actually being dropped in the middle of a civil war but even more intense? My TL was bombarded with those reactions. What happened? Everyone is now disappointed and it gets a B-?

Edited by Flopped

45 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

I guess a title like "War journalists" is more accurate one, but anxiety sells better))

I realy liked no-context thing 

Same. I thought it was really well done. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Weren't there tons of tweets saying this is the most intense movie of all time and your heart will stop and you haven't seen anything like it, it's like actually being dropped in the middle of a civil war but even more intense? My TL was bombarded with those reactions. What happened? Everyone is now disappointed and it gets a B-?

Twitter lied.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

47 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

I guess a title like "War journalists" is more accurate one, but anxiety sells better))

I realy liked no-context thing 

I know Garland’s intentions but also understand lots of people would feel pretty disappointed cuz some creative designs are not so smarts like his writing work 28 Days Later

Spoiler

Just like 28 Days or Sunshine, Garland want to focus on what would happen if ethics and morality have gone in this movie instead of which forces will win, whether our leading characters would be zombies. The apocalypse background has never ever been something he really want to discover. 

In 28 Days, the dramatic conflict in 3rd act is whether Cillian’s character will become a machine like those soldiers with no humanity. Garland definitely want to do something similar in Civil War — whether those journalists can really just take photos and put themselves out of the political conflicts at any time. So he gives those journalists different endings for each of them, highlighting the consequences of their own choices.

I’m not sure what exactly happened, but it feels like he couldn’t give us an insider look at neither characters or worldview while 28 Days from Danny did pretty great on these things. I believe general audience probably couldn’t even notice what he was trying to say in this movie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Wanted to take my dad to Monkey Man, but it was sold out for the rest of the night at Alamo Drafthouse, sigh.

Was going to try and see Monkey Man this weekend but both it and The First Omen were dropped to two showings a day and the times are crap. 

B- isn’t bad at all for Civil War considering how polarising it’s been and the nature of the ending, which we know American audiences can be sensitive to. Still film of the year so far for me. 

56 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Weren't there tons of tweets saying you haven't seen anything like it, it's like actually being dropped in the middle of a civil war but even more intense?

Good description! Totally agree. 

• Like 1