MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

We'll have to wait for 'Challengers' but April is not delivering big numbers outside of maybe 'Civil War' ($60-70m DOM). May does look much better but not 2023 level either. 

My predictions (all DOM):

The Fall Guy: $100-125m

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: $150-175m

IF: $50-70m

Furiosa: $120-140m

Garfield: $140-180m

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Another under 10M opener for Lionsgate. How are these folks still alive? Someone needs to stop them. Theaters need these movies to get actual marketing campaigns.

FWIW I think they tend to sell the overseas rights to a lot of their movies to local distributors, which is one way of making money off of titles that are bound to lose money. Ministry is a straight-to-streaming movie in a lot of countries.

6 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

We'll have to wait for 'Challengers' but April is not delivering big numbers outside of maybe 'Civil War' ($60-70m DOM). May does look much better but not 2023 level either. 

My predictions (all DOM):

The Fall Guy: $100-125m

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: $150-175m

IF: $50-70m

Furiosa: $120-140m

Garfield: $140-180m

A few weeks ago I would have said you are too low on the Fall Guy and maybe/hopefully you are if Walkups and WOM are really strong. As I have said with no 800 LB  gorilla in the month good WOM could fuel any of these movies legs.

Unless Challengers is like a Bridesmaids-level breakout, next weekend looks like it's gonna be even worse overall for theaters, but also hopefully the low point for the rest of the year.

A theater near me just cut ticket prices to $7 for every age and every showtime, that's how things are going right now.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

June looks like it's going to be huge. Bad Boys, Inside Out, and A Quiet Place the obvious heavy-hitters, The Watchers could be a potential breakout, Horizon a major wild card. Kind of Kindness should be big on the specialty front. Not expecting much from The Bikeriders at this point though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

June looks ok but also on par with 2023 at best. Yeah it has Inside Out but last year had Spiderverse. Add DM4 the first week of July and it looks a little better compared to last year I guess.

Even with my most optimistic predictions I don't envision Twistdeadpool having the same ring to it as Barbenheimer, so that'll likely be an extra hole to climb out from. Less enthused about TFone with the trailer out now (and new release date) but fall still looks like the comeback season.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Well, better than Civil War's opening there, that's one way to spin it

EDIT: Actually not, was just looking at Australia, combined Civil War opened to $814k

Edited by AniNate
  • Sad 1

Is 60-70m where these adult movies will land now....Killers of a Flower Moon, Napoleon, Civil War, even Beekeeper landed in this range.

Terrible weekend at the box office but if I need excuses why movies fail this forum is the place, lol.  Its never as simple as the general audience just doesnt care about going to the theater anymore unless its some IP they know....Dune, Panda, GB and Gxk. 

The crazy thing about the box office recently is alot of movies now are unable to even crack the 20m or 30m range. Only, 10 movies released this year have grossed over 40m domestic.  Monkey Man had a HUGE marketing budget for it and Deadlines spin today is its already north of 21m after 3 weekends. Deadline also ignores Ready or Not opened on a Wednesday. 

From Deadline: Universal’s B CinemaScore, but 82% certified fresh vampire movie, Abigail, starring Melissa Barrera will at least hit $10M after a $4M Friday. The opening here is a little bit higher than Radio Silence’s Ready or Not ($8M) which was a Searchlight release and did a 3.6x multiple off a B+ CinemaScore. It will be interesting to see how this one legs out. In addition, Abigail‘s opening is right near the start of Dev Patel’s genre action movie Monkey Man three weekends ago which did $10.1M; that’s already north of $21M.  

Looking at this weekend last year and Guy Ritchie's The Covenant , yes that's the full title, made 6.3 m. So at least Ministry made more than that. Will be interesting to see how it holds next weekend with what seems like fairly good WOM. The Challengers is playing to a completely different audience. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Its never as simple as the general audience just doesnt care about going to the theater anymore unless its some IP they know....Dune, Panda, GB and Gxk. 

No, it is that simple lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol Paramount's attempt at pushing Bob Marley past $100M with the 4/20 gimmick was just as ill-fated as Sony's bid at trying to get Sausage Party to hit the mark. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure that was not the audience that was buying tickets when it first came out

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol Paramount's attempt at pushing Bob Marley past $100M with the 4/20 gimmick was just as ill-fated as Sony's bid at trying to get Sausage Party to hit the mark. Oh well.

Little Mermaid, KoTFM, Bob Marley and many more all proved that the moment a movie lost their theaters count, just adding them back won't bring back the audience because audience mindset has been that movie has gone out of theater. Studio can no longer "push" a movie to certain milestone like pre-streaming era.

I didn't even realize these Guy Ritchie movies barely made money. This was the 2nd highest Opening of his R rated movies after The Gentleman.

Wrath of Man - 8.3M

The Covenant - 6.4M

Ruse de Guerre - 3.1M 

43 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Bob Marley: One Love is on Paramount+ already. My local AMC only had one showing for it yesterday (at 4:20 pm) and tickets were priced at $4.20. Expecting National Theater Day levels of attendance here would have been pretty foolish.

I'm not sure hitting $100m, $200m, etc milestones matters for studios like it used to. Cable TV rights can't be worth much these days and streaming rights seem to be sold before the movie's even out. Maybe they are still trying to push things over the line but the efforts just don't work in this era? They seen to come too late in the game to make a difference.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

GvK and KFP both tracking to something like a 190s finish after this weekend, what a pair of teases

It’ll be funny to see which one crawls to the finish line above the other.