MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

47 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What property would you want them to do? 

Zatanna seems the perfect fit for them on the horror side of DC. Also helps that Barrera would be fantastic in the lead role.

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Radio Silence are really lucky when it comes to critics. 

Ready Or Not is a 7/10. Scream 5 is a 6/10.  Scream 6 is a 2/10. Abigail is a 4/10. 

sort of agree, though Scream 6 should not be that low, Ready Or Not is carried by Samara Weaving , MB is not a strong lead

• Like 1

Radio Silence’ next project is an Andy Samberg comedy package according to Deadline. 

Abigail is dead last for me. I’d put it more in line with Devil’s Due than the Scream’s or Ready or Not actually. 

Melissa Barrera hasn’t booked any new projects since her firing. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

When growing up, I only knew Christopher Reeve as the paralyzed actor who used to be Superman before his accident. And I just assumed that he got paralyzed pretty early on in his life. Only found out much later that he had the accident in 1995 and passed away in 2004. He was only in the wheelchair for about 8 and a half years of his 52 year life. 

I did watch the remake of Rear Window he starred in post-accident. It's fucking terrible but y'know, good for him for still giving it a go.

For their next wacky movie I hope Radio Silence decides to cast Allison Williams as their protagonist. The undisputed queen of crazy horror films right now would be perfect to lead a movie of theirs.

6 hours ago, Flopped said:

No Saturday numbers? 

No point in such a weak weekend. Maybe we get those back during Fall Guy's OW.

10 minutes ago, fastlane said:

Radio Silence is the definition of all style, no substance. Most overrated horror team of recent years and their V/H/S segment is still the most exciting they did imo

Totally agree. After Abigail I walked out going, boy I didn't like this but they're still talented. And then I stopped and wondered, why do I think they're talented? Only Ready or Not (sporadically) worked. What kind of brainwashing? Not to mention nothing the've done is scary so I'm on the fence about even calling them horror directors. 

• Like 1

IF that was Civil War's real drop and not some overly optimistic number A24 put out that's a lot better than the doomer "this movie is DOA after opening weekend" line that was popular here for a while. When does it actually lose its PLFs?

Just now, MightyDargon said:

IF that was Civil War's real drop and not some overly optimistic number A24 put out that's a lot better than the doomer "this movie is DOA after opening weekend" line that was popular here for a while. When does it actually lose its PLFs?

It already lost the majority of its PLFs this weekend as far as I can tell (near me it's either Ministry, Abigail, or a split between both). Challengers is looking to take over those screens next weekend.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It already lost the majority of its PLFs this weekend as far as I can tell (near me it's either Ministry, Abigail, or a split between both). Challengers is looking to take over those screens next weekend.

Oh? So it just didn't die in its second week, even without the PDFs? Well, that's probably the single biggest hit it will take so it actually did overperform.

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Radio Silence doesn't need horror stars.

But they do need to team up with better screenwriters. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/box-office-a24s-civil-war-wins-weekend-again-1235977592/

Heading into the weekend, “Abigail” was predicted to top the box office with $12 million to $15 million in its debut. But the R-rated, blood-sucking thriller opened slightly behind projections, taking second place with $10.2 million from 3,384 venues. 

Edited by Flopped

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

But they do need to team up with better screenwriters. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/box-office-a24s-civil-war-wins-weekend-again-1235977592/

Heading into the weekend, “Abigail” was predicted to top the box office with $12 million to $15 million in its debut. But the R-rated, blood-sucking thriller opened slightly behind projections, taking second place with $10.2 million from 3,384 venues. 

Oh sure, everyone needs good screenwriters.

Also, didn't Annihilation get a  times 3 multiplier? It would get it close to EEAO if that's what it actually manages.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare actually did better than the rock bottom expectations it had going into the weekend. Still the third nonstarter in a row from Guy Ritchie though.