MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

IDK plenty of my friends seem to know and like Cavill from the Witcher and being a handsome guy, he just has had unbelievably bad choices. Chris Hemsworth kind of the same deal tbh, though at least he's wisened up more lately. I think there's hope for Cavill. People know him and like him generally is my sense of it. I think his role in MI:Fallout was best and worst of him - amazing physical charisma, cool GIFs, totally, laughably unbelievable playing a political philosopher who had anything to say. Get this guy an Extraction type franchise on Prime or something.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TMP said:

edit: actually, add free guy to the list of superhero actor hits too; albeit another one which also benefitted to the “slingshot”

Ryan Reynolds is a fascinating one, because he has arguably been the only actor to use that superhero movie slingshot and have it result in success multiple times. Crazy too for a guy that was once box office poison. Though I guess we'll see if Tom Holland can do that if he ever decides to make another movie again.

Hitman's Bodyguard still rates as one of the highest-grossing non-IP comedies in the last few years (think you can count on only one hand the non-IP comedies that outgrossed it domestically and worldwide). Detective Pikachu was also sold just as much on Ryan Reynolds as did the Pokemon brand, even though that is a little iffy, and he has some of the highest-viewed Netflix original movies ever (yes, those count).

Like IF is probably going to get to like 120M+ or something just on his presence and savvy marketing skills. In 2012, with Reynolds' then draw power, that would have been lucky to get to half of that.

• Like 2

Does Tom Hardy count as a superhero guy? He wasn't exactly Mr. Famous before he played Bane, but I'd say he's definitely a draw to the point that he circled around and sold ANOTHER superhero role in large part due to his name power. 

• Like 1

@TMP Oh yeah, Chris Pratt's another one that kinda fits the whole "superhero guy finding later success" thing. Because like yeah obviously almost all his big hits are big IPs, but he was pushed just as hard as the dinosaurs when the first Jurassic World came out and the Mario/Garfield ads have focused on selling his name like it's a Katzenberg-era Dreamworks movie. And if we include streaming stuff, he's had a lot of hits for Amazon sold solely on his presence. Maybe if that Electric State movie gets Gray Man-style viewers, that will solve the answer, I dunno.

• Like 2

It’s not like Cavill turns audiences away or something, he just doesn’t draw them to movies they aren’t otherwise interested in, same as 99.9% of modern actors. His low box office performances are just a matter of having signed up for a bunch of bombs to be not causally related to him being in them 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Just saw Civil War. Not sure what I think about it. As a movie about journalism and what they have to go through in a War Zone and how it may desensitize them it's great. As a movie about a Civil War in America it kind of drops the ball I think. I think Garland may have pulled his punches by not having a backstory and by playing both sides. I think it would have been better if he showed what started it and let the audience decide who's side they were on.  Instead he gave audiences the easy way out I think. If you want to believe President Offerman is Trump you can do that if you want to believe it's Biden you can do that. With no instigating factor described you get to choose your side with no guilt I think. Just my two cents. I still like the movie a lot. Just feel it could have been  a lot better.

• Like 2

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare was solid fun. Ritchie needs to slow down his pace a little bit since the film did need a little more time to bake in the oven. Third-act lighting was kind of an issue at times. But Cavill, Gonzalez, etc. were all having a blast.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ryan Reynolds just makes me mostly think of direct to streaming films nowadays. 

So hopefully he can turn that around with IF. 

Probably not the movie of his that most will be talking about or seeing  this year but in terms of him having a non Deadpool theatrical hit yeah it would be nice for this to do well and surprise. It's been pretty much Free Guy and a bunch of streaming movies since Deadpool 2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Zero doubt they'll play off nostalgia for the IP as a whole - specifically those first two films which were gigantic, beloved hits - and conveniently ignore the latter two.

But are we really sure about Shrek 5??

No.

You can make KFP4 without the Furious 5 to save money but you can't do the same with Shrek 5,and I'm sure KFP4 budget($85M) wouldn't cover the salaries for Myers,Murphy,Díaz,Banderas...

Edited by efialtes76

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

No.

You can make KFP4 without the Furious 5 to save money but you can't do the same with Shrek 5,and I'm sure KFP4 budget($85M) wouldn't cover the salaries for Myers,Murphy,Díaz,Banderas...

I'm sure part of the holdup for a sequel was Dreamworks didn't have the money to pay them for awhile

Probably less of an issue now though both because dreamworks has more money and frankly the actors probably don't ask for as much as they used to

• Like 1

If Shrek 5 is actually good it would more than cover their salaries. More upfront cost but better ceiling.

That said Dreamworks needs to move away from high priced celebs for its newer franchises because it won't be able to pay them as easily after cost cuts.

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Lupita does seem like the type who would be willing to work with them if they want to do the rest of the Wild Robot trilogy

Lupita wasn't super overpriced either. The issue is casting people like Chris Hemsworth or Tom Holland or whatever who are expensive but also won't move tickets as an animated voice.

Ungentlemanly Warfare felt like a worse version of Man From UNCLE (which was one of my favorites of 2015). Comparing the two really shows how much Ritchie has fallen, UNCLE felt like a more complete movie, maybe he needs to focus on one movie instead of releasing so many movies at once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Ungentlemanly Warfare felt like a worse version of Man From UNCLE (which was one of my favorites of 2015). Comparing the two really shows how much Ritchie has fallen, UNCLE felt like a more complete movie, maybe he needs to focus on one movie instead of releasing so many movies at once.

That statement really makes me want to see Man from UNCLE, not so much the current film.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

That statement really makes me want to see Man from UNCLE, not so much the current film.

It's good. It's much more stylized, it's Ritchie's best looking movie, Cavill and Hammer have great chemistry, Alicia Vikander is funny, and Elizabeth Debicki is so hot.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I hope this means he's running out of enthusiasm for making war movies, let alone making like 3 at a time.