Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 N Abigail Universal $4,000,000     3,384 $1,182 $4,000,000 1
- (1) Civil War A24 $3,254,490 +99% -70% 3,929 $828 $37,011,151 8
- (2) Godzilla x Kong: The New … Warner Bros. $2,330,000 +165% -40% 3,658 $637 $164,491,510 22
- N Spy x Family Code: White Crunchyroll $2,225,000     2,009 $1,108 $2,225,000 1
- (3) Kung Fu Panda 4 Universal $1,110,000 +162% -19% 2,955 $376 $176,492,475 43
- (4) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Sony Pictures $1,035,000 +180% -27% 3,109 $333 $99,549,270 29
- (5) Dune: Part Two Warner Bros. $800,000 +120% -33% 2,014 $397 $274,492,913 50
- (6) Monkey Man Universal $680,000 +90% -46% 2,641 $257 $20,154,790 15
- (7) The First Omen 20th Century… $530,000 +85% -54% 2,430 $218 $16,595,038 15
- (-) Shrek 2 Universal $130,000 +12% -73% 819 $159 $438,830,656 7,276
- (-) Housekeeping for Beginners Focus Features $13,000 +262% -43% 251 $52 $174,600 15

11   $16,107,490

What is Lionsgate waiting for?  No number at almost 12pm for Warfare...

• Like 1

Okay, Deadline has a number - $3.7M (with previews) for Warfare...here's more Deadline...

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-abigail-civil-war-ministry-of-ungentlemanly-warfare-1235890123/

"A24’s Civil War is winning the box office skirmish against three wide entries with a second weekend of $11M+ after a $3.25M Friday..., Abigail, starring Melissa Barrera will at least hit $10M after a $4M Friday...Lionsgate’s A- CinemaScore, Guy Ritchie directed, mouthful of a title, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is coming in at singles digits with an estimated $8.7M after a $3.7M Friday — in fourth. The Henry Cavill movie is getting whipped by weekend 4 of Legendary/Warner Bros’ Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire which is looking to come in at $9.2M...The Sony Crunchyroll Toho movie, Spy x Family Code: White made $2.2M yesterday for what’s looking like a $4.8M weekend at 2,009. Clearly not everything Crunchyroll does is Dragon Ball Z in fifth."

And the rest...

6.) Kung Fu Panda 4 (Uni) 2,955 (-149) theaters, Fri $1.1M (-19%), 3-day $4.5M (-19%), Total $179.9M/Wk 7

7.) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Sony) 3,109 (-241) theaters, Fri $1M (-26%) 3-day $4M (-30%), Total $102.5M/Wk 5

8.) Dune: Part Two (Leg/WB) 2,014 (-387) theaters, Fri $800K (-33%) 3-day $2.8M (-35%), Total $276.4M/Wk 8

9.) Monkey Man (Uni) 2,641 (-396) theaters, Fri $680K (-46%) 3-day $2.2M (-46%), Total $21.6M/Wk 3

10.) The First Omen (20th) 2,430 (-945) theaters, Fri $530K (-54%) 3-day $1.7M (-55%) Total $17.7M/Wk 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I actually really do think this September to December slate looks awesome and stacked, it's no longer a matter of this being a weak box office year and more a concern of whether box office is sustainable as an industry period. In a regular environment where theatrical can survive, I have zero problems with the slate from really mid-June on this year.

Yeah it's a valid concern. I am sure theatrical will survive though. Theaters will just do what people have been saying they are doing. Cut hours and staffing during the slow times. Will see what the AMC I am going to today too see Civil War is like. 

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I have had too many bad crowd experiences in theaters in the past 2 years to care much anymore. I still go but if it all closes down tomorrow and movies go straight to streaming I am perfectly OK with it.

two weeks ago I went to a full screening of Evil Does Not Exist and the guy sitting next to me was loud heavy breathing on me the entire time. Like I could feel his breath hitting my face for the entire film. burn theaters to the ground.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Henry can't catch a break.

Considering the reviews are not too bad and the WOM is pretty good it seems. If Lionsgate had put a decent  effort into marketing it it might have a been a solid hit ala the Beekeeper or something.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I mean, it is 4/20 today.

I wonder if Paramount will report the numbers...

One of the local AMCs is playing it all day today, but the other only has one showtime starting at 4:20 (of course). It's already on Paramount+ so I doubt it will do much.

Cavill should probably just shallow his pride and stick with TV (even after leaving his show for a DC/Superman return that ended up cancelled before it even began). He clearly doesn't have the acting chops to become a mainstay in prestige projects anyway.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

two weeks ago I went to a full screening of Evil Does Not Exist and the guy sitting next to me was loud heavy breathing on me the entire time. Like I could feel his breath hitting my face for the entire film. burn theaters to the ground.

Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cavill should probably just shallow his pride and stick with TV (even after leaving his show for a DC/Superman return that ended up cancelled before it even began). He clearly doesn't have the acting chops to become a mainstay in prestige projects anyway.

He might not have a choice. His last chance at movie stardom is the Highlander remake that Chad Stahleski is directing but that got pushed off so Chad could go try to rescue  Ballerina.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've been having issues with old people just loudly speaking like in outdoor voices for large swaths of the film lately. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've been having issues with old people just loudly speaking like in outdoor voices for large swaths of the film lately. 

oh yeah i forgot one guy a couple rows behind me fell asleep full snoring for a minute too. close all the cinemas.

• Like 1

As of now here's the positive spin I'm still latching to:

2022/2023: $7.989 billion

2023/2024: $8.427 billion

Praying for some kind of miracle breakout in May to keep us from falling behind

Edited by AniNate

Civil War continue to have similar trend as KoTFM but better 2nd Friday. 70m is in play if better trend continue but over EEAAO would need some really great 3rd and 4th weekend hold. 

47 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I went to see One Life recently and it was insane:

- two woman talking, recording the entire movie on their phones and checking other phones;

- a couple with the notifications sound on,

- there was also a heavy breathing guy!!!! You could hear him in the entire room.

Theaters suck.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think directors/studios will probably still hire him. He’s going to live off that Superman fame forever.  It’s like they don’t understand that people like the superhero, first and foremost, the actor who plays is secondary or sometimes doesn’t matter at all.

We’ve seen many MCU and DC actors flop once they are outside of the suit. 

Edited by babz06

1 hour ago, Unfitclock said:

Man horror movies have done really well post-pandemic not sure why this year they’re struggling so far I mean the black phone which was not marketed well at all opened over 20 million in 2022 I though abagail with the great reviews could at the very least open to 15 million but the trailer views were very weak on the film so I can’t say I’m super surprised 

Well, I'm a horror film fan (no matter if supernatural or survival etc.) and I can only speak for myself but I'm not too surprised that so far the horror films weren't successful this year.

Besides the lack of (decent or clever) marketing and sometimes too late dropped good reviews many of the trailers just were less appealing than they could have been e.g. that of Night Swim or not appealing at all, e.g. those of Immaculate and The First Omen. 

The trailer for Abigail was ok IMO (the first half was promising but after that not much new material was shown).

But who knows, the year is still young. I don't expect wonders when it comes to "Trap" but it could be decent and successful and I also saw some other interesting marketing for other horror films.