kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

Honestly I'm pretty sure it would be the highest grossing tennis movie ever with half-decent legs unless I'm missing something. The other Spider-man girlfriend movies didn't break $20 mil and were PG-13, Match Point just barely crossed

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

The thing is Air wasn't even going to get a theatrical release until something like January of that year and most people would not consider that film a financial success theatrically at all. Challengers delayed its release from 2023 so it could allow its stars to do a large scale international press tour so I do think they had some expectation it would benefit at the box office.  DWD number I think would've been a reasonable target. 

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Honestly I'm pretty sure it would be the highest grossing tennis movie ever with half-decent legs unless I'm missing something. The other Spider-man girlfriend movies didn't break $20 mil, nor did Match Point

Wimbledon did 16m (w/Dunst) and Match Point (w Scarjo) did 23m. 

Edited by babz06

It's a fine number and fine gross for both it and Civil War. I just want something surprising and amazing to happen for once.

Edited by Cmasterclay

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Let’s not forget that Air opened last year from the same studio and cost $70-90m to make with a lot of big names and excellent reviews. It opened to $14m from a slightly wider release. 

If anyone was parading that film as a hit, then they need to do the same with Challengers. 

Anyway, just back from the film and I thought it was incredible. So homoerotic, it’s beautifully shot and that techno score is delicious. Original screenplay nomination at least. Game. Set. Snatched. 

is anyone doing that. Its not a BO success for sure. But Amazon was financing it and so its ok. its kind of a semi streaming movie. 

Match Point and Wimbledon sure as hell didnt get an all out marketing push like Challengers.  

Match Point played in barely 500 theaters.  Wimbledon barely played in 2k theaters.

Are we trying to spin Challengers weekend as a success?  The numbers are bad.  Zendaya got 10m and good for her but this is the result for 10m bucks....has to be a disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I could be wrong about those movies making that money in 2015. My thing is more - if it's the product, then we can look at the product from 2015 and see if films of that quality (marketing and star power) are really missing from the schedule, or are they doing less? 2015 actually a shitty example because wow a pretty bad year for midsized movies, but over 70 million you had Spy, Trainwreck,  Get Hard, Goosebumps, Pixels, The Intern, The Imitation Game, The Intern all over 70 million. So instead of asking what Challengers or Civil War would have done then, the more fair question is to ask what those films would have done NOW. Because I don't think I see 50m domestic for any of them. So I'm not convinced it's a product issue - that list ain't exactly hot product, and they all made near or over 100m.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's a fine number and fine gross for both it and Civil War. I just want something surprising and amazing to happen for once again. That's all. 

I don't know. Something amazing, I guess.” | by Samantha Obrochta | We Are  Marquette

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

is anyone doing that. Its not a BO success for sure. But Amazon was financing it and so its ok. its kind of a semi streaming movie. 

They were last year. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Match Point and Wimbledon sure as hell didnt get an all out marketing push like Challengers.  

Match Point played in barely 500 theaters.  Wimbledon barely played in 2k theaters.

Are we trying to spin Challengers weekend as a success?  The numbers are bad.  Zendaya got 10m and good for her but this is the result for 10m bucks....has to be a disappointment. 

Given Wimbledon came out the same year as Spider-Man 2 and also soon after the US Open I don't believe there wasn't at least some sort of similar cross-promotional effort there.

I'm not saying Challengers is like a breakout blockbuster or anything but given the subject matter and director I think the performance is reasonable.

42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So instead of asking what Challengers or Civil War would have done then, the more fair question is to ask what those films would have done NOW.

Why do we need to ask either of those questions? They were released then and they performed how they did then

I don't think any of those examples with the possible exception of Imitation Game is a fair comparison to civil war/challengers. Maybe if Paul Feig or Judd Apatow try to make another theatrical comedy and it bombs, we can have that debate then.

Imitation game I will grant probably is the kind of movie that wouldn't make $90 million now, but it was also PG-13 and released in the middle of awards season, so I also feel like that's something of a loaded comparison. Even if people don't consciously realize it I do think a director's historical style and content should be a consideration when forming ticket sale expectations. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

Boy Kills World looks so obnoxious. :lol: Doubt anyone is surprised John Wick meets Mortal Kombat meets Scott Pilgrim vs. the World didn't have an audience.

That's an acceptable number for Challengers. For those wondering why the budget is so high: I believe there were rumors at one point it was headed straight to Amazon, so it was likely budgeted as a loss leader like Air and the Apple titles were when it was given the green light.

Even if its budget were like $500 million I'm just tired of that being what the narrative forms around. Everyone wants to look for any angle to call a movie a flop, and I'm just glad Amazon was willing to invest that much in Luca and that they appear to still be doing it next year.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 8
  • Knock It Off 1

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Trying to start some kind of meme. Seems desperate 

Bloody hell these twitter people suck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Throwing out the high budget talk The Challengers is doing just fine it seems for a Tennis Movie directed by a guy that has not made anything close to mainstream hit movie yet. 

This film cost $55m. The last one cost $20m. Both were distributed by the fifth largest company in America. The guy gets big budgets to make mainstream movies for mainstream audiences and the audience hasn’t bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Why do we need to ask either of those questions? They were released then and they performed how they did then

I don't think any of those examples with the possible exception of Imitation Game is a fair comparison to civil war/challengers. Maybe if Paul Feig or Judd Apatow try to make another theatrical comedy and it bombs, we can have that debate then.

Imitation game I will grant probably is the kind of movie that wouldn't make $90 million now, but it was also PG-13 and released in the middle of awards season, so I also feel like that's something of a loaded comparison. Even if people don't consciously realize it I do think a director's historical style and content should be a consideration when forming ticket sale expectations. 

I have no reason for asking the questions besides for being annoying and negative all the time. I feel like Howard Beale in Network shouting what I feel is my truth about our collapsing institution from the rooftops - and trust me, it's not just about box office or on Box Office Theory, as most of my friends can sadly attest. So.....yeah. Sorry about that.