filmlover

Weekday #'s (4/29-5/2)

TPM is garbage and one of the worst blockbusters ever. AoTC is bad but can be so cringey it's memorable in a funny way.

RoTS is great fun. 

10 hours ago, Maggie said:

Apparently, it's blowing up on TikTok. Some of these movies with young stars need TikTok and other social media to spread the word. Too bad TikTok will be banned in the US. It's a useful tool in promoting movies these days

I don't use TikTok often, but I checked it when I heard about Anyone But You was blowing up on there, and I've been checking Challengers videos over the last few days and it does seem very similar to ABY with people posting their theater reactions, reviews with their interpretation of scenes, even camrips of scenes from the movie - a video of the very final minute of the movie had like 4 million views. I'm hoping it translates to strong holds over the coming weeks - it'd be funny if after all the "it won't break even!!" hand-wringing over the budget it still managed to reach whatever magic money landmark it needs to be considered a success in their eyes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

April didn't help theaters much but if Civil War and Challengers end up being nice modest successes they'll at least help keep some forms of original auteur movies get greenlit for now. 

I know everyone's stanning Fall Guy right now but I'm pulling for IF. It truly is an original, filmmaker-driven conception. Hoping my aversion to the trailer is just because of typical kids movie marketing pitfalls and the movie's really a lot better than that.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have seen their reputations rehabilitated a tad over the years (Revenge of the Sith not nearly as much since it was widely embraced at the time - being easily the most serious/least juvenile of that trilogy was a definite plus). The power of nostalgia and distance from that initial disappointment, probably.

Who knows how the sequel trilogy will hold up when a new generation that wasn't around to have expectations that were probably impossible to be met discovers them down the line. You just never know. The re-release of Spider-Man 3 this week also brings to mind the fact that movie no longer receives the immense vitriol it faced from many corners 17 summer movie seasons ago.

Edited by filmlover

Posted (edited)

It's hard to see TROS getting that kind of reassessment, feel like everyone just wanted to forget it existed afterwards. Was just bad in a depressing way, not in a "fun to trash" way

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)

all the movies need tik tok to really blow up. The others social are dead. Facebook is dead from 4-5 years, Twitter now is definitely dead as Facebook. Instagram is dying. Tik tok is at the peak. 

Edited by vale9001

Daily Domestic Chart for Wednesday May 1, 2024

← Previous Chart Chart Index  
    Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- (4) Godzilla x Kong: The New … Warner Bros. $405,000 -36% -36% 3,312 $122 $183,208,756 34
- (-) Dune: Part Two Warner Bros. $175,000 -29% -33% 1,334 $131 $280,431,121 62
- (-) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Sony Pictures $160,000 -36% -43% 2,627 $61 $107,974,063 41
- (-) Spy x Family Code: White Crunchyroll $125,000 -17% -52% 2,009 $62 $7,474,743 13
- (-) The Long Game Mucho Mas Media $18,174 -40% -61% 341 $53 $2,838,804 20

5   $883,174          

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Roughly 40% drop from Tuesday...and 14% from Monday...

Both Civil War and Abigail had lower Wednesday to Monday drops (-3.9% and -3.7%, respectively) during their first sets of respective weekdays.  Challengers started off the week well, with that smaller -57% drop from Sunday and still added on Tuesday, so Challengers' bigger Wednesday to Monday drop may be a sign that it is settling down a bit.

1st SETS OF WEEKDAYS - COMPARISONS OF RECENT OPENERS

1ST SET OF WEEKDAYS

MON #

MON %

TUES #

TUES %

WED. #

WED. %

Wed to Mon %

2ND WKND GROSS

CHALLENGERS (15.0 M OW)

-57% YD

+44% YD

1.4 M

-41% YD

-14%

TBD

CIVIL WAR (25.5 M OW)

-75% YD

+37% YD

-30% YD

-3.9%

11.2M (-56%)

ABIGAIL (10.3 M OW)

-70% YD

+52% YD

-36% YD

-3.7%

5.2 M (-49%)

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Eric the Fall Guy said:

No coincidence Challengers dropped so hard on the day Fall Guy started taking its PLFs...

yeah 40% of the total in the weekend was from imax. The format is becoming more and more something fundamental for younger people for any kind of movie. Like or i watch a movie in a way makes going to a theater worth or i'm gonna watch it on my 4K TV at this point. 

Barbenhmeir was fun and everything but i can't imagine how much money was left on the table with Barbie  not in Imax. 

Edited by vale9001

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, Cinemark's still doing ok at least

Cinemark Q1 Earnings on Lower Revenue (hollywoodreporter.com)

Well, they kinda cheated to do okay...true net profit would have been negative if it was regularly done ($2.9M loss vs last year's quarter loss of $3.1M)...

"The company reported a net profit of $24.8 million, compared to a loss of $3.1 million in the prior year, though, helped by a gain of $27.7 million from an income tax benefit due mainly to the release of valuation allowances in certain foreign markets. The diluted earnings per share was 19 cents, against a per share loss of 3 cents last year. That beat an analysts estimate for a loss of 21 cents per share.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I suppose these past few months would be the time to cheat. Weak as these next couple months look compared to last year they should still be a lot better than April