Eric the IF

The Fall Guy (2024) Spoiler Thread

The Fall Guy (2024)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Posted (edited)

This was a big smile. Screenplay coulda used a polish. Felt like a Shane Black movie. Shocked this wasn't R. Could've had much more fun with the gags if it was. Cast is having a blast. 

I second the Waddingham da real MVP nod above. Steals every scene she's in.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Posted (edited)

I gotta say I'm continually disappointed in Leitch as a solo director. Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt were great together, but the movie is too bogged down with ugly visuals and a twist that's so immensely obvious it sucks al the energy out of the third act. 

Sadly I don't think this has the sauce to breakout. Hopefully I'm wrong tho. 

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Felt like a Shane Black movie. Shocked this wasn't R. Could've had much more fun with the gags if it was. 

Yep. But the word is extended cut is coming 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

still unsure how this has the RT score it does.

so bloated, more unfunny than not, and feels contrived. felt like a straight to netflix release for me. and i LOVE gosling. he and blunt made it watchable but saw this at cinemacon and just was floored at how much i disliked it.

• Like 1

That chase/karaoke scene was easily the highlight of the film. Great stuff. The ending was a bit absurd but overall the film is a perfectly fine action flick/date night film. 

8/10

• Like 1

This was fun, if ultimately a bit overlong and very been there, done that. A lot of good set pieces that refreshingly rely more on practical effects than glaringly obvious CGI, and I thought the jokes landed more often than not. Director David Leitch, a former stuntman himself, has said that he meant for this to be a tribute to the often overlooked work that stunt performers do, and his appreciation for the craft certainly shows. Ryan Gosling officially my favorite goofball king. Emily Blunt is lovely as always despite being saddled with an underwritten love interest character. Good supporting cast too, including delightful scenery-chewing from Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Hannah Waddingham.

I get the dig that it often feels like an R-rated movie that was sanitized into something less nastily violent, but as a reimagining of a largely forgotten 80s TV series, I found this to be a satisfying time at the movies that works better than the average overpriced starry slice of Netflix background noise.

Also, that opening intro before the movie from Gosling and Leitch. :lol: Promoting the use of cellphones in the theater during the movie, rude!

B

• Like 2

Drab, dull, grey, overlong, ugly to look at, and very pleased with its own non-existent charm. The whole rhythm of the movie felt off. There was no spark. This is a movie for adult fans of Ryan Reynolds and Taylor Swift. 2/10 

On 5/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, Krissykins said:

First half boring, second half fun.

This is a movie I can genuinely say quite literally gets better and better at a smooth, steady progression as it goes on, which is quite remarkable! I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie pull that off to this extent before.

The bad news is that it's not going from "Good to Fantastic," it's more "Sorta Mediocre to Eventually Really Good There At The End!" I feel like it's not until the climax (or maybe a little before) that all the parts of the movie finally click and it becomes the flick it really should've been all along.

A huge part of it is the romantic comedy stuff, which has its charming moments but goes on for too long, is repeated too often, and just stops the movie dead in its tracks. If the relationship angle was somehow a mandate then fine, but the obvious solution is to just let Emily Blunt's character join the action scenes and you can do all the cutesy romantic bickering and such while the exciting stuff is happening. More Romancing the Stone than Jerry Maguire.

Also most of the action scenes aren't bad and are indeed full of stunts, but it lets them go by so quick we don't really get a chance to appreciate those stunts.

But, like I said, it steadily (if slowly) gets less irritating and by the end it's delivering a sequence that feels focused despite running multiple threads simultaneously, is one great stunt piece after another, has the love interest involved in an active and pivotal capacity, and is quite funny! Oh, and from there it finally starts giving us some celebrity cameos (which were otherwise shockingly absent in the rest of the film - obviously you don't want to overdo it, but nothing?).

Anyhow, better to start rough and end well than the other way around, for sure!

Posted (edited)

Really enjoyed this. Is is it the best action comedy in the history of action comedies?No but it does not need to be.  Will agree that it starts out a little bit rough. The first half hour or so but the last two thirds of it really cook. The Against All Odds Karoke/dumpster bin chase is def the highlight. Will be listening to that and I was Made for loving you on a loop. And Aaron Taylor  Johnson must have studied Matthew Mcconaughey's voice because dam was he spot with that voice. It did feel like  NIce Guys but only PG-13 and with more big budgeted action. Love that movie so any thing that comes close I am happy with.

Edited by emoviefan

Thought this was perfectly fine, if a little underwhelming. First hour I really did find myself getting bored despite a few standout scenes. Came together in the end, but isn’t something I’d particularly see myself watching many times over.

6/10

Aaron Taylor-Johnson's obvious Matthew McConaughey impression (that sci-fi movie Blunt's character makes looks ridiculous and would in no way be a hit in real life lmao) was the funniest thing throughout the entire film for me. Probably the most I've ever enjoyed a performance from Lesser ATJ.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Aaron Taylor-Johnson's obvious Matthew McConaughey impression (that sci-fi movie Blunt's character makes looks ridiculous and would in no way be a hit in real life lmao) was the funniest thing throughout the entire film for me. Probably the most I've ever enjoyed a performance from Lesser ATJ.

It was scary how spot on it was.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

That fake sci-fi movie was an obvious parody to Dune, which was indeed a hit in real life, so...

Been thinking about it more. I really did enjoy it. But how did this movie cost 130 million.It did not feel like it should have cost anymore than the Lost City or Bullet Train did. We would be having a whole conversation right now if it had been cheaper I think. Oh well not my money.