kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think this flop is about Gosling/Blunt not being draws. This movie always reminded me of Knight and Day with Cruise. That one flopped with 20M OW and it was the same concept action/comedy/romance. Men were not here for the romance part and women don't generally care for action

Cruise hasn't been a draw outside of MI and TG in ages and he knows it. The Mummy, Valkarie, Knight & Day, Jack Reacher, American Made, Oblivion, even the great Edge of Tomorrow...none of them set the b.o. on fire. 

Edited by Flopped

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

As a man the fact that my fellow men can not take a little romance in their action movie. Like stop being such macho meatheads. Seriously. My guess is that's more the problem than women not wanting action with their romance. 

I think men can like a little romance in their action movies. They are so mad they killed off Ilsa in MI:DR and that was just a hinted romance.

Edited by Maggie

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I didn't know Winston Duke was in it until I saw. Probably on me but don't recall seeing him in much of the marketing. 

Winston Duke wasn’t going to draw many people in regardless if he was promoted more or not. Ryan Gosling has always been more of a white women crush anyways. If they wanted to draw in more black women they should have cast someone like  Channing Tatum. 

Edited by babz06

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

Cruise hasn't been a draw outside of MI and TG in ages and he knows it. The Mummy, Jack Reacher, American Made, Oblivion, even the great Edge of Tomorrow...none of them set the b.o. on fire. 

Except EOT, which was spectacular, those movies were average (Jack Reacher, American Made) or just plain garbage. (the rest)

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think men can like a little romance in their action movies. They are so mad they killed off Ilsa in MI:DR and that was just a hinted romance.

I mean I did not have a problem with them killing her off. They had done as much with that character as they could. Even Ferguson said as much in interviews.

• Like 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

I mean I did not have a problem with them killing her off. They had done as much with that character as they could. Even Ferguson said as much in interviews.

I wasn't that bothered either, but people on reddit/MI were really mad about it.

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

Did they just not promote this movie to Black America?

If they did a man on the street type interview and randomly asked people do you know who Emily Blunt is I'm going to bet the majority wouldnt know and the ones who do are white.  If they just asked Black people well Im guessing it might take awhile to find one who knows who she is.  Most people would have to be told its the lady from A Quiet Place.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I didn't know Winston Duke was in it until I saw. Probably on me but don't recall seeing him in much of the marketing. 

I don't think I've seen Black audience share be that low for a straight up action movie - John Wick 4 had 19%. Free Guy had 13%. Even Civil War has 12%.

8% is just off

Edited by AJG

35 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The BO is terrible. The end. What more is there to say at this point. As for the The Fall Guy. It did not connect for whatever reason. People have been giving their reasons and will keep giving their reasons. Too inside Hollywood, Gosling and Blunt don't open movies, it looked like a Netflix movie despite the reviews being much better than any of those pump and dump mockbusters they churn out. Could  go on and on.  To try and be on the positive side,  The A- CS means the people seeing it are enjoying it. So legs might be good. It should be able to counter program Apes next weekend. I mean if Anyone But You can can open up to a 6 million weekend and leg it to 88. That'a a IM of 14. This should be able to have strong legs. But who knows. We are in weird times.

The thing is Anyone wasn't a success with critics or even CS. The movie get big legs because it started to be promoted as "the return of romantic comedies" by the audience in TikTok. This was the "something more than fun" for Anyone But You.

I'm not sure if the Fall Guy could have a similar situation.

They have been consistently underestimating Panda but a 40% drop would just about assure it misses $200 mil. Just losing too many theaters now I guess. Probably did have some competition from the EP 1 rerelease

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

The thing is Anyone wasn't a success with critics or even CS. The movie get big legs because it started to be promoted as "the return of romantic comedies" by the audience in TikTok. This was the "something more than fun" for Anyone But You.

I'm not sure if the Fall Guy could have a similar situation.

Well that's why I say we are in a weird time. A movie with better reviews and CS should make more but here we are.

44 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The BO is terrible. The end. What more is there to say at this point. As for the The Fall Guy. It did not connect for whatever reason. People have been giving their reasons and will keep giving their reasons. Too inside Hollywood, Gosling and Blunt don't open movies, it looked like a Netflix movie despite the reviews being much better than any of those pump and dump mockbusters they churn out. Could  go on and on.  To try and be on the positive side,  The A- CS means the people seeing it are enjoying it. So legs might be good. It should be able to counter program Apes next weekend. I mean if Anyone But You can can open up to a 6 million weekend and leg it to 88. That'a a IM of 14. This should be able to have strong legs. But who knows. We are in weird times.

ABY was released when Christmas Eve was Sunday. That's going to depress the opening weekend of any movie.  Plus, the Holiday-New Years weekdays is like box office steroids.  I wouldnt compare any release over the holidays to a normal release date.

My mom or my brother go to the theater with me almost every weekend, so it's not like they are part of the "not going to theaters" problem. Mom hadn't even heard of the Fall Guy and neither had any interest in seeing it with me once they saw the trailer. They both definitely want to see Apes next week, though, and were very excited for Civil War. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Twister is the one that really started the "summer movie season begins in early May" trend in 1996. Before that it was typically Memorial Day weekend that was used as the big launchpad.

it actually started with Crimson Tide which people sadly forget

il_fullxfull.1582489433_fqol.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

ABY was released when Christmas Eve was Sunday. That's going to depress the opening weekend of any movie.  Plus, the Holiday-New Years weekdays is like box office steroids.  I wouldnt compare any release over the holidays to a normal release date.

Yeah I know all that but 6 million to 88. If a movie with a let's say a 28 million dollar opening can not not leg it past a movie it has a 22 million head start on and better reviews and CS than yeah as I said we are in weird times.