kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is what AI has to say:

Historical Precedence: For decades, Hollywood has designated the first weekend in May as the launch pad for the season’s first potential blockbuster. This tradition has been established to capitalize on the anticipation for summer entertainment.

Financial Strategy: Releasing big-budget films in May allows studios to take advantage of the long Memorial Day weekend, which marks the unofficial start of summer for many. This period is often associated with increased leisure time and higher audience turnout.

Extended Playtime: Starting the season in May gives movies a longer run time in theaters throughout the summer, maximizing their earning potential before the fall when the frequency of movie-going typically decreases.

School Vacations: The timing coincides with school vacations, making it an ideal period for family outings and for young audiences to frequent cinemas.

Weather: The warmer weather encourages people to seek indoor activities like going to the movies, especially in air-conditioned theaters, to escape the heat.

Industry Trends: Over time, some studios have started releasing their big titles even earlier, at the end of April, to get a jump on the competition and extend the profitable summer season.

That's a good AI.

Well. Obviously audiences came because of the big Marvel movie. 

And SPECIALLY in today's reality won't be any different.

The Flop Guy fell. We speak your name.

Edited by justnumbers

11 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Also. I have some questions about this "Summer Season Start" on the 1st week of May.

Why is this? Who says it? What it means? 

Is it Hollywood? The Business?

I don't think 1st weekend of May means anything to audiences. It's not their summer start. It just happens that there's always a big Marvel movie opening this week and that's why audiences rushed out. It's only a big weekend historically because there's a true event movie opening every year. 

It doesn't mean anything for audiences regarding a Summer Season start. I think the Summer Season start for audiences is the Memorial Day Weekend or at best the weekend before.

This fictional 1st weekend of May as a big weekend for audiences doesn't exist. It's just a Hollywood insider thing so you're just not going to force a movie like The Fall Guy into starting a early summer season being another action movie. It's just a mid sized movie (with a overblown budget) coming out in a calendar lacking big movies and no momentum.

This actually kinda started with The Mummy. Then of course Spider-man with Tobey Maguire (Sony not Marvel Studios) took it to another level. MI3, Mummy Retirns, Van Helsing also opened the first weekend of May. Marvel Studios/Disney became the big tent pole for that weekend for a long while now but it started before them. 

• Like 1

Twister is the one that really started the "summer movie season begins in early May" trend in 1996. Before that it was typically Memorial Day weekend that was used as the big launchpad.

• Like 2

Largest quad for the David Leitch directed movie is 25-34 at 25% with diversity demos seeing 52% Caucasian, 25% Latino and Hispanic, 8% Black, 10% Asian, and 5% other.

Did they just not promote this movie to Black America?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This actually kinda started with The Mummy. Then of course Spider-man with Tobey Maguire (Sony not Marvel Studios) took it to another level. MI3, Mummy Retirns, Van Helsing also opened the first weekend of May. Marvel Studios/Disney became the big tent pole for that weekend for a long while now but it started before them. 

And guess what movie turns 25 on Tuesday.  Love that movie. It's so dam rewatchable. I watch it every year and I will def be watching it this week. But  yeah actually Twisters started the early May kickoff to summer 3 years earlier. Another one of my rewatchables. I will be watching that again before the sequel/reboot/remake whatever it is comes out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Twister is the one that really started the "summer movie season begins in early May" trend in 1996. Before that it was typically Memorial Day weekend that was used as the big launchpad.

Yeah. I'll go with for sure. It was the second weekend of May that year but looking back through, it's the obvious starting point for the trend.

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

If people are surprised that Gosling and Blunt are weak draws, they'll be in for a rude awakening when Margot Robbie's next movie drops. 

I don't think this flop is about Gosling/Blunt not being draws. This movie always reminded me of Knight and Day with Cruise. That one flopped with 20M OW and it was the same concept action/comedy/romance. Men were not here for the romance part and women don't generally care for action

• Disbelief 1

I Saw the TV glow is an unmitigated disaster. I'm convinced that the A24 logo can elevate a movie's RT score by a good 20-30%. What a clusterfuck of a movie. It's honestly worse than Tarot. 

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

I mean they had Winston Duke and from what I hear he has a good supporting role. But no surprise this played pretty Caucasian. 

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah idk where ppl are getting Mummy from. Even Deep Impact did early May before Mummy. As much as I'd like to give Mummy the credit (it's better than Twister), it didnt start it. 

Looks like TV is opening to about the same PTA as Love Lies Bleeding. I guess it'll meet a similar fate in wide release judging from some of the reactions. 

Challengers hold is the bright spot, especially given it lost PLF.

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

I didn't know Winston Duke was in it until I saw. Probably on me but don't recall seeing him in much of the marketing. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think this flop is about Gosling/Blunt not being draws. This movie always reminded me of Knight and Day with Cruise. That one flopped with 20M OW and it was the same concept action/comedy/romance. Men were not here for the romance part and women don't generally care for action

As a man the fact that my fellow men can not take a little romance in their action movie. Like stop being such macho meatheads. Seriously. My guess is that's more the problem than women not wanting action with their romance.