kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

To counter the doom and gloom going on here, before the official preview numbers come in and we see if WOM leads to Walkups this weekend and going forward, March proved people want to go to the movies. All 4 of the big movies either met or beat expectations. Even GB:FE considering how uttterly eh and bleh it is got over 100 million and has held pretty well. People may just have never bought in the Fall Guy and people have given many valid reasons that might be. It's the movies people go see what they want when they want and yes that has changed because of Covid and Inflation and all that. If we are still having this conversation in June after BB:ROD , IO2, and QP Day 1 open than yeah things are fucked. 

• Like 5

These action-romance-comedy movies don't do well at the BO in recent times. The only successful one was Mr and Mrs Smith and that had mind blowing chemistry between Brangelina.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

To counter the doom and gloom going on here, before the official preview numbers come in and we see if WOM leads to Walkups this weekend and going forward, March proved people want to go to the movies. All 4 of the big movies either met or beat expectations. Even GB:FE considering how uttterly eh and bleh it is got over 100 million and has held pretty well. People may just have never bought in the Fall Guy and people have given many valid reasons that might be. It's the movies people go see what they want when they want and yes that has changed because of Covid and Inflation and all that. If we are still having this conversation in June after BB:ROD , IO2, and QP Day 1 open than yeah things are fucked. 

Well, March proved people wanted to go to movies during a big holiday/school break corridor...

March = spring break/Easter

June/July = summer break

Half of November = Thanksgiving break

Half of December = Christmas break

And GA is okay only going then, and possibly not every one of those breaks if the movies aren't good enough.

It's gonna be hard to keep a business alive with real business only 4 months/year...

I’m at peace this weekend. I was reading a book about New Hollywood and how low the box office had dipped by the mid-1960s because of TV. Everyone was just as scared as now! It took a few years of hard, necessary medicine for things to improve as new styles and new voices took over and eventually started shattering records with The Godfather, The Exorcist, Jaws, etc. In America, all industries are cyclical. I follow the NBA and WWE a lot. Right now, the NBA fanbase is in meltdown mode over playoff ratings and how many huge stars like LeBron and Steph are out of it. Just like after the Jordan years. Five years ago, the WWE was in the same spot. The NBA is swallowing necessary medicine – in four years, they’ll be doing great because this playoffs of new stars will have paid off down the line. Even in hip-hop, after three years of panic and bad sales, we are seeing glimmers of hope start to emerge. That is how industries in America work. Unless you’re the NFL, you have these cycles, and you have these tough transitionary periods. In Hollywood, beyond just COVID and streaming, it’s clear that audiences are sick of crap and want some new stuff. They couldn’t coast on Marvel and Star Wars forever. Over the next year, we have a ton of blockbusters directed by auteur types, starting with Dune 2 and stretching into the winter months. Next year, we have some real big original films being given to directors. And, for the first time seemingly in ages, we are starting to see new stars emerging – Chalamet, Butler, Powell, Zendaya, Sweeney, and more. Hollywood is in a rough place right now, but it’s a transition phase. Just like with New Hollywood, they didn’t go from Bonnie and Clyde to Star Wars overnight. These are tough days, but that’s part of the cycle industries in America go through.

What I worry about with box office compared to like, the NBA and MLB’s tv ratings, is that this becomes obsolete technology, not just a bad transition period. If movie theaters totally collapse, it will be more like the BlackBerry or horse and buggie than the New Hollywood days. That’s my big fear. But if theaters survive, if this technology continues to exist, I’ve finally started to believe that we come out the other side and bounce back. We just have to take the medicine for a couple years.

Anyway, meh number for the Fall Guy.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Please stop falling for retorted studio budgets. Blumhouse is the guiltiest when it comes to deflating their budgets, but they all do it. I'm sure Tarot cost twice the reported figure. 

No. 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I have just seen THE FALL GUY. though I enjoyed the second hour way more than the first.

Agreed. The first half was a bit of a chore. The third act was the best, which is rare for these studio action films. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

No. 

Agreed. The first half was a bit of a chore. The third act was the best, which is rare for these studio action films. 

It's always great to end with a bang.

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I’m at peace this weekend. I was reading a book about New Hollywood and how low the box office had dipped by the mid-1960s because of TV. Everyone was just as scared as now! It took a few years of hard, necessary medicine for things to improve as new styles and new voices took over and eventually started shattering records with The Godfather, The Exorcist, Jaws, etc. In America, all industries are cyclical. I follow the NBA and WWE a lot. Right now, the NBA fanbase is in meltdown mode over playoff ratings and how many huge stars like LeBron and Steph are out of it. Just like after the Jordan years. Five years ago, the WWE was in the same spot. The NBA is swallowing necessary medicine – in four years, they’ll be doing great because this playoffs of new stars will have paid off down the line. Even in hip-hop, after three years of panic and bad sales, we are seeing glimmers of hope start to emerge. That is how industries in America work. Unless you’re the NFL, you have these cycles, and you have these tough transitionary periods. In Hollywood, beyond just COVID and streaming, it’s clear that audiences are sick of crap and want some new stuff. They couldn’t coast on Marvel and Star Wars forever. Over the next year, we have a ton of blockbusters directed by auteur types, starting with Dune 2 and stretching into the winter months. Next year, we have some real big original films being given to directors. And, for the first time seemingly in ages, we are starting to see new stars emerging – Chalamet, Butler, Powell, Zendaya, Sweeney, and more. Hollywood is in a rough place right now, but it’s a transition phase. Just like with New Hollywood, they didn’t go from Bonnie and Clyde to Star Wars overnight. These are tough days, but that’s part of the cycle industries in America go through.

What I worry about with box office compared to like, the NBA and MLB’s tv ratings, is that this becomes obsolete technology, not just a bad transition period. If movie theaters totally collapse, it will be more like the BlackBerry or horse and buggie than the New Hollywood days. That’s my big fear. But if theaters survive, if this technology continues to exist, I’ve finally started to believe that we come out the other side and bounce back. We just have to take the medicine for a couple years.

I'm not sure if "people being tired about the same" is the reason why Star Wars and Marvel are having problems.

Deadpool 3 seems to have a big potential for sucess, but that movie seems to appeal the nostalgia in many levels.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, and the fact that TVs of the time just couldn't get close to the quality of theatrical viewing.

But that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Well, and the fact that TVs of the time just couldn't get close to the quality of theatrical viewing.

But that ship has sailed.

Fair enough. Then maybe it's just fucked outright.

Bad as this weekend looks, sales do look more encouraging for Apes, IF, and to a certain extent Garfield. So this might just be an individual case where people weren't buying what was being sold.

• Like 4