kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

If ever there was a movie that screamed ‘I’m sure it’s good and I’d like to see it, but I can wait six weeks’ then TFG is it. 

The windows are just a joke with these movies and people knowing they don’t have to wait long. That’s what needs to change most of all in my opinion. 

• Like 8

Just now, wildphantom said:

If ever there was a movie that screamed ‘I’m sure it’s good and I’d like to see it, but I can wait six weeks’ then TFG is it. 

I don't feel that way. I think this is a movie primed for theaters. Action usually does good on the big screen

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Bad as this weekend looks, sales do look more encouraging for Apes, IF, and to a certain extent Garfield. So this might just be an individual case where people weren't buying what was being sold.

This is the main problem. I mean, the marketing for this film was ALL over the place. Hell, Universal got so desperate, they went back to the Beavis and Butthead SNL skit for the premiere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I don't feel that way. I think this is a movie primed for theaters. Action usually does good on the big screen

I don’t feel that way either, but I think enough do for it to not be as big a hit as it might have been a few years ago. 

we’ll see how the multi shakes out but it’s such a disappointing preview number considering the word on its quality has been so good for weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, marveldcfox said:

Ryan Gosling has zero star power. This opening is proof. 

There’s only one movie star left

the-rock-entrance.gif

1 minute ago, PrinceRico said:

As for The Fall Guy, I think people forgot that Ryan gosling may be a movie star, but he's no Ryan Reynolds when it comes to box office.

He and Ryan Reynolds look like the exact same man

Ryan-Goslings-Hotness-Evolution-From-The

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t feel that way either, but I think enough do for it to not be as big a hit as it might have been a few years ago. 

we’ll see how the multi shakes out but it’s such a disappointing preview number considering the word on its quality has been so good for weeks. 

In the post-pandemic moviegoing, the movie can't just be good. They need to make audience feel special, either during the movie or during its marketing. Fall Guy the movie itself is good but it is quite generic. It is a similar situation like DnD. Good WOM alone can't do the trick.  

Posted (edited)

@Eric the Fall Guy @WrathOfHan it's gonna be MAY

11x:

Inside Out 2: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2, The Color Purple, Turning Red Round 2, One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The Marvels Dolby, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Poor Things, The Iron Claw, Napoleon, All of Us Strangers, I.S.S., Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers

7x:

If: Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2, Turning Red Round 2, One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

The Garfield Movie: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, Migration, Soul Round 2, Turning Red Round 2, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Civil War: The Iron Claw, The Zone of Interest, Love Lies Bleeding, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX

Despicable Me 4: Turning Red Round 2, Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

A Quiet Place: Day One: Madame Web, Love Lies Bleeding, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers

3x:

The Fall Guy: The Marvels Dolby, The Iron Claw, Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX
Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Barbie, Drive-Away Dolls
Unsung Hero: The Color Purple, One Life, Luca Round 3
The Wild Robot: One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga: Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers
Twisters: Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers

2x:

Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
Tarot: Madame Web, Love Lies Bleeding
Abigail: I.S.S., Late Night with the Devil
Sasquatch Sunset: Out of Darkness, Late Night with the Devil
Irena’s Vow: Love Lies Bleeding, One Life
Someone Like You: Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

1x:

MaXXXine: Pearl
Elio: Elemental 3D
The Watchers: Drive-Away Dolls
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Love Lies Bleeding
Back to Black: Love Lies Bleeding
I Saw the TV Glow: Love Lies Bleeding
We Grown Now: One Life
Ezra: One Life
Sting: Late Night with the Devil
Cuckoo: Late Night with the Devil
In a Violent Nature: Late Night with the Devil
Arcadian: Late Night with the Devil
Bad Boys: Ride or Die: Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX
Thabo and the Rhino Case: Kung Fu Panda 4 3D
Shrek 2: Kung Fu Panda 4 3D
The Crow: Boy Kills World Round 0
Kill: Boy Kills World Round 0
Fly Me to the Moon: Challengers
The Strangers Chapter 1: Challengers
The Blue Angels: Challengers
Blink Twice: Challengers

Edited by Blankments

Posted (edited)

Someone else made a good point. Theaters are in a lull. After months of people not going to the cinema, it needed a special movie to break the habit of staying home. And apparenlty, TFG is not that special movie. If people were in the habit of going to the theaters regularly, TFG could have benefited

Edited by Maggie

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB 

Geez, your act sucks. You're like the Vanilla Ice of doomposters.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB 

I'm gonna give you a warning

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

As for The Fall Guy, I think people forgot that Ryan gosling may be a movie star, but he's no Ryan Reynolds when it comes to box office.

Are you using the DEADPOOL movies as your reference? People saw those because of the character and not because of the actor. Reynolds' biggest movie outside of CBMs and animated movies is THE PROPOSAL with 317.4M worldwide. Gosling on the other hand has LA LA LAND with 472.0M. I also think people watched BARBIE because of his great portrayal of Ken and not necessarily because Ken is a known character.

Edited by kayumanggi

Gosling is a draw, just not in a David Leitch directed summer action movie, which is what this is despite people insisting it's actually secretly a rom com with immense female approval. If he had starred in Anyone But You it would have done 120m. Problem is all the stars who would draw in a role like The Fall Guy are ten years too old for it or ten years too young for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Are you using the DEADPOOL movies as your reference? People saw that because of the character and not because of the actor. Reynolds' biggest movie outside of CBMs and animated movies is THE PROPOSAL with 317.4M worldwide. Gosling on the other hand has LA LA LAND with 472.0M. I also think people watched BARBIE because of his great portrayal of Ken and not necessarily because Ken is a known character.

Yeah, people forget Reynolds was pretty much flopping for a decade until Proposal saved him (carried by Bullock), and then came Deadpool (carried by the character).