AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

That said I'm not overly enthusiastic on Coco's prospects... It just doesn't seem like a concept that will appeal to the masses... The Book of Life is right there as evidence.

Well, just because one holiday movie didn't perform well doesn't mean another one can't. Not every Christmas movie is a success.

Granted Pixar is no longer an automatic, but "From the director of Toy Story 3" should give this an advantage

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, just because one holiday movie didn't perform well doesn't mean another one can't. Not every Christmas movie is a success.

Granted Pixar is no longer an automatic, but "From the director of Toy Story 3" should give this an advantage

No it won't, literally every Pixar movie has stuff like that.

• Like 1

My suggestion to Disney/Pixar.

Switch Cars 3 and Coco's release dates, Coco in June and Cars 3 in November 2017.

We ALL know Cars 3 is going to suck, and that movie is just being made for the merchandising sales. Sacrifice Cars to SW8 so Coco can get a better chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

No it won't, literally every Pixar movie has stuff like that.

There's a difference between "From the creators of" and "From the director of". Assuming Unkrich sees this through I expect he'll be given more benefit of the doubt pre release than Peter Sohn was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Its not just that's it a holiday movie. They're both based around the same holiday they both follow a boy who carries around a guitar. I'm looking forward to it (and I love Book of Life) but I don't think it appeals to the masses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Its not just that's it a holiday movie. They're both based around the same holiday they both follow a boy who carries around a guitar. I'm looking forward to it (and I love Book of Life) but I don't think it appeals to the masses.

Ratatouille was about a rat that cooks, Wall-E was a movie that opened to no dialogue, Up was about an old man trying to get his house to the falls, Inside Out was about people inside people's heads, etc.

I think TGD was a fluke not a rule

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Interestedly enough, TGD has the "safest" premise of recent Pixar movies "Dinosaur and caveboy going home", and it did the worst.

Because it was boring as fuck. Nothing strange here.

People are accustomed to Pixar being circus freaks - and with their last movie they couldn't even manage that. So it tanked.

• Like 1

Know this isn't the thread, but fuck it all, this scene is still getting to me.

To make this sort of on topic, I would really like to see Pixar bring Mychael Danna back for this film. He has more experience with ethnic themes than the Newmans or Giacchino. Either him or an actual Mexican composer, anyway

• Like 1

The main character in the film is a spirited 12-year-old boy named Miguel, who somehow finds himself in the fantastical realm of dead. After the brief explanation, Unkrich and Anderson treated the D23 attendees with a “diorama,” meant to express the general feeling of Coco (even though the designs might change dramatically before the movie is done). This “diorama” was incredible and visualized as a single shot moving through the mortal version of Dia de los Muertos, with people celebrating and lighting candles for the family members who have passed on, and moving into the uproarious landscape of the dead. This is where things really take off, with skeleton mariachi bands, colorful designs, and lots and lots of fun. John Lasseter described it as “breathtaking, beautiful and fun,” and we are so excited that today animation has officially begun! We can’t wait to see art begin to emerge for the film.