AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

The main character hauls around a guitar. It's gotta be a major theme. The more I hear about this film the more I think this really sound like The Book of Life (which is not necessarily a bad thing)
This is purely speculation, but I predict it's going to have a much more energetic tone. Something like a kid friendly Slumdog Millionaire

Most probably. Summer 2018 is Pixar (CARS III), Winter 2018 is Disney (GIGANTIC). Summer 2019 is Pixar (THE INCREDIBLES II), winter 2019 is Disney (FROZEN II?).

Actually, there is a March 2018 slot for an untitled Disney project, that project is most likely Gigantic, while the winter 2018 slot will surely be taken by Frozen 2.

Unless they anounce WIR 2 but that would be too much sequels in one year.

Edited by Boxx93

Actually, there is a March 2018 slot for an untitled Disney project, that project is most likely Gigantic, while the winter 2018 slot will surely be taken by Frozen 2.

Unless they anounce WIR 2 but that would be too much sequels in one year.

I think GIGANTIC is a tentpole that will benefit a lot from the winter holidays. What was Disney's last animated film in March?

• Like 1

Zootopia.

Anyway, animation has been tentpoled in March already. 

There. ZOOTOPIA hasn't been released yet. And yes, that's true for other studios but not Disney. They have only had two March animated films: MEET THE ROBINSONS (didn't crack 100 M) in 2007 and MARS NEEDS MOMS in 2011 which bombed.

But I am fine with a March release. I just think a winter date is better.

• Like 1

There. ZOOTOPIA hasn't been released yet. And yes, that's true for other studios but not Disney. They have only had two March animated films: MEET THE ROBINSONS (didn't crack 100 M) in 2007 and MARS NEEDS MOMS in 2011 which bombed.

But I am fine with a March release. I just think a winter date is better.

I'm sure Disney does too.

But Good Dinosaurs delay simply meant that wasn't an option. And they certainly weren't going to bump their entire future slate back to accommodate. So March it is. I don't think it's an issue...Disney hasn't ever released a good animated movie in March. And March had only gotten stronger over time.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Separating this from The Book of Life is going to this film's number one adversity. This isn't like Inside Out where there were plenty of shows, shorts and even actual Disney theme park attractions that vaguely resembles the premise. This is an animated CGI film about Dia De Los Muertos that focuses on a character who carries around a guitar. Holy shit. Pixar has their work cut out for them, but I think they can do it.

Lee Unkrich, do your thing. I have faith in you.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 1

Book of Life is not well know by General Audiences. Coco will not be out for a while and has a Pixar brand helping and probably a different story and definately a different animation so I do not think it hurts that it is about the same holiday. Maybe it even will help that Book of Life came out so Dia de Los Muertos holiday is now more well-known. Kind of like Jurassic World might help The Good Dinosaur by making dinosaurs more popular (not that it is the same).