AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

17 minutes ago, Goffe said:

“grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes.”

Again... this is something that should have been dealt with using the HR department long ago.

Does Hollywood not believe in HR departments? 

Once I was involved in a HR investigation because I equated the employees as peons.  I was including myself in that description but the person that overheard it did not feel that way and went to HR about it.  

In my company someone that was overly "touchy-feelly" with other employees would have been nipped in the bud early.  And yes... over the 25 years I've worked here we've had a few like that.  Not sure the results of it because stuff like that was dealt with quickly and privately but I believe the behavior stopped. 

Not to mention the hours of harassment training classes we have to go through every year that deals exactly with issues like this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The timing is pretty crazy with this with Coco literally releasing tomorrow. Coco hasn't ever been tracking particularly strong and now this happens just in time to have someone to pin all the blame on if it does underperform. 

I'm pretty sure the timing was intentional.

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm pretty sure the timing was intentional.

Coco is looking kind of sacrificial lamb-ish right now...better to expose him now than the day before Incredibles 2. I know he didn't work on either of them, but the GA is only going to hear "Pixar head outed for sexual harassment." .

• Sad 1

Just now, Morieris said:

Coco is looking kind of sacrificial lamb-ish right now...better to expose him now than the day before Incredibles 2. I know he didn't work on either of them, but the GA is only going to hear "Pixar head outed for sexual harassment." .

How much damage though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still he’s associated with Pixar. I wonder if it’ll effect box office.

That would require a big news coverage of the story, like other pointing out it is hard to point controversy affecting box office (one way or the other), peak post Weinstein story just got us some of the best weekends of the hole year for example.

Specially for people really behind the camera and not having their name on anything, would make it even harder.

Animal cruelty scandal (manufactured I think ?) didn't hurt A Dog's Purpose box office, it would require something really big to affect Toy story.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Again... this is something that should have been dealt with using the HR department long ago.

Once I was involved in a HR investigation because I equated the employees as peons.  I was including myself in that description but the person that overheard it did not feel that way and went to HR about it.  

In my company someone that was overly "touchy-feelly" with other employees would have been nipped in the bud early.  And yes... over the 25 years I've worked here we've had a few like that.  Not sure the results of it because stuff like that was dealt with quickly and privately but I believe the behavior stopped. 

Not to mention the hours of harassment training classes we have to go through every year that deals exactly with issues like this.

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, are there no sexual harrassment seminars in Hollywood companies? Cause I had to sit through that shit every year of grad school even. 

I've worked with Disney subsidiaries and there's most definitely sexual harassment seminars. They were mandatory at least once per season (which often meant one every nine months or so). The legal firm that handled the trainings were up front that the entertainment industry is very different from many workplace environments and that stuff like hugging is not only commonplace, but usually welcome. And in my limited experience, that's true, and helped contribute to an atmosphere that was very warm and welcoming. The legal firm made sure to step through the details as well, and California law is very broad-ranging when it comes to harassment. The basic no-nonsense thing they kept hammering into us was, if you're going to do anything like a hug, you need to be damn sure the other person is open to it. Because otherwise you open up yourself (and the company) to a lawsuit.

HR departments are usually well-removed from the crew (usually because productions are LLCs working out of separate offices from their parent corporations), but it's imperative that the UPM and/or producer be willing to make a stand for anyone who complains. Above and beyond that, the unions also need to do a better job of protecting their members (and to be fair to them, the ones I'm associated with are definitely making an effort in that regard).

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That would require a big news coverage of the story, like other pointing out it is hard to point controversy affecting box office (one way or the other), peak post Weinstein story just got us some of the best weekends of the hole year for example.

Specially for people really behind the camera and not having their name on anything, would make it even harder.

Animal cruelty scandal (manufactured I think ?) didn't hurt A Dog's Purpose box office, it would require something really big to affect Toy story.

It is the lead on Drudge and Deadline...linking Disney's name in with a Coco pic in the background on Drudge...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

It's different when it's a person who's in a position of legitimate power. Someone who feels they're untouchable and can do what they want. Not a coincidence that it's what all these reports have in common

• Like 4