AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm pretty sure the timing was intentional.

I am too...maybe the badwill from keeping out the movie critics came back to bite them...

I remember saying when that story broke, there was nothing much the papers could do to stop Thor 3 or Star Wars...but that Coco was gonna need good press...

I think this may actually be more damaging to Walt Disney Animation than Pixar. He truly had been the guy they looked up to there and had been pretty much receiving all the credit for their revival. I don't know who really could take over for him at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sal said:

I don't think most people who would actually go see a movie about a latino kid in the land of the dead would be looking at a conservative site like Drudge for info.

also he's been removed already so idk are people going to like feel bad for giving the movie money? 

1 minute ago, Sal said:

I don't think most people who would actually go see a movie about a latino kid in the land of the dead would be looking at a conservative site like Drudge for info.

Pixar movies that break to $300-$400M aren't just taking one set of an audience - they are 4 quadrant politically, too:)...

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I think this may actually be more damaging to Walt Disney Animation than Pixar. He truly had been the guy they looked up to there and had been pretty much receiving all the credit for their revival. I don't know who really could take over for him at this point.

Hmm that's a good point. I was coming from the PR perspective that I think people associate Lasseter with Pixar more than Disney Animation but yeah you're right about him reviving Disney Animation from the early 2000s. Hopefully the "Story Trust" that has been put in place at Disney Animation can continue to thrive without him. 

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

...your hero?

In filmmaking. He was one of my inspirations in writing along with Spielberg and Burton and Nolan. I’m ashamed and disgusted he did this. Lassiter should be fired. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Pixar movies that break to $300-$400M aren't just taking one set of an audience - they are 4 quadrant politically, too:)...

No one was expecting this to break to 300-400m though.  There was a fair sized contingent of people who didn't even think this would hit 200m because it's featuring Latino characters and concepts that some hardcore Christians would find uncomfortable talking about with their kids.  As much as Mexico is a catholic country, it doesn't mean their holidays, especially dia de muertos are really accepted as 'christian' in any way. :( 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The legal firm that handled the trainings were up front that the entertainment industry is very different from many workplace environments and that stuff like hugging is not only commonplace, but usually welcome. And in my limited experience, that's true, and helped contribute to an atmosphere that was very warm and welcoming.

That makes it tough.   You have socially clueless people that will go over the boundaries and you have predators that would definitely cross the boundaries.

Strong leadership and/or a supportive HR department would deal with both cases quickly.

I've seen both in action at my company.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

That makes it tough.   You have socially clueless people that will go over the boundaries and you have predators that would definitely cross the boundaries.

Strong leadership and/or a supportive HR department would deal with both cases quickly.

Yes. Fortunately in my tiny section of that world, we had a very experienced and good UPM and I'm pretty sure everyone would've felt comfortable approaching him. There was never even a peep of anything untoward having happened. What also helped was most of the crew had worked together for years, so everyone pretty much knew everyone well. And our show runners had worked their way up from being PAs on other shows where they had to deal with really lousy abusive behavior (not sexual harassment or anything, just horrible bosses). So they set the tone from the get-go.

Ironically, we even ended up having two people on the crew start dating and get married -- they just had their first kid.

But it's easy to see how things could go awry if leadership wasn't in place or leadership was responsible for the harassment to begin with.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is the lead on Drudge and Deadline...linking Disney's name in with a Coco pic in the background on Drudge...

According to Alexia

Deadline is out of the top 500 in the US website (and not in the top 2000) WW.

Drudge is out of the top 100 US, out of the top 500 WW.

It will be an item on yahoo/msn/etc... new for a day and depending on what come up, will not be after a small cycle.

Even when they become really big it is hard to see an effect on the BO, someone literally dying while shooting Deadpool 2 will probably do nothing either, even if the production is found guilty in a civil court of negligence.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with @YourMother. Lasseter was one of the first working filmmakers I knew by name and I always wanted to grow up to be a filmmaker like him. Even when I grew up and my taste in my own filmmaking turned to live action, I still thought he was one of the most brilliant minds of his generation, making Pixar the titan it was.

I mean, all of this is still true, but he's also a fucking creep. God, this is the first one of these scandals to really hit me. My roommate lost it over Louie a few weeks ago, but this stings me. Hope he gets fired for this and the women he harassed find peace. On a more narcissistic note, hopefully my attitude of "Pixar movies are a group effort" makes it so his films don't feel tainted to me.

Then again, there's the whole "complicity" thing... :sick: 

This sucks. Hollywood sucks. Goddamn it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1