kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

10 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Well it’s basically impossible for GxK to get to 200m now. The theater cuts really hurt it. It’s actually going to miss Skull Islands worldwide number now too. Darn. 

If only WB willing to do something for that 200m , like this random reexpansion for GB: FE. 

- (-) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Sony Pictures $100,000 +304% -14% 819 $122 $112,374,769 64
  • Haha 1

My dad was born in 1943 and died in 2017. He was born the year Casablanca won an Oscar and died the day Thor Ragnarok came out. Think about all he loved through in his very normal life. From a time when the NFL and NBA barely existed through every generation of star up to Mahomes and Curry. From a time when rock and roll didn't even exist all the way through Spotify. He was born before TV existed and was watching Netflix the morning he died. Vietnam, Iraq, 9/11, the rise and fall of the Berlin Wall. It's all so much. My mom is still alive and healthy, thank God, but thing is think about all she must miss from her youth. Vinyl record stores. 5 dollar concerts. Jukebox diners. Hell, even a young man like me pines for the days of Blockbuster. The point is, life in this modern world is an eventful thing. If we are lucky to live long enough, massive change is inevitable. It was absolutely guaranteed that some major technological and social upheavals would change our way of life, and if movie theaters go the reduced role of record stores and drive ins, then that is the way of the world. It's sad, but every generation has had to live with it and we do too. Time to suck it the fuck up and enjoy this art and hobby while we still can. 

If there's any comfort, it's that movie theaters did survive all the above listed things, and people also though TV would kill them. So I do think it will survive in a reduced form with a possibility for a 1970s esque bounce back one day.

• Like 2
  • Heart 7

16 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

This might actually get to $90m off a $27m opening. Still not good obviously, but damn it's holding!

This is going to be such a steaming monster which is the problem. And then a bunch of people will ask when is the sequel coming.  Uh....

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

This is going to be such a steaming monster which is the problem. And then a bunch of people will ask when is the sequel coming.  Uh....

Not everything needs a sequel. And honestly, Fall Guy's one that I think works well as just the one thing.

• Like 4

So, with Furiosa flopping, how is it that Dune Part 2 succeeded where Furiosa failed? 

Perhaps Dune delivered a unique theatrical experience whereas Furiosa was just giving more of the same (in terms of action set pieces), but not as good as Fury Road? 

Mad Max more niche? More weird? 

Better Dune marketing campaign? 

The FRAUD Deadline Anthony has delivered a new write-up

Live to the reality that Mad Max isn’t Star Wars, Jurassic World, Marvel, Dunein fact Furiosa doesn’t have any tender kissing scenes like Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya do in that desert saga.

There’s something just really off about this buffoon.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

At least IF and Apes hold reasonably ok. With just 50% 2nd weekend drop, IF could be another 100m movie for tepid May.

Thursday: 3.5M

True Friday: 6.7M

Is it possible Furiosa won't make 30M in this four-day weekend? I really doubt the numbers for Saturday and Sunday would be good.

Edited by Kon

Furiosa is still on track to be the lowest Memorial Day opening in 41 years (at the high end), with a four-day between $31M-33M.

This is not accurate. Casper opened to 20.6M on Memorial Day Weekend 1995 https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/05/29/Casper-leads-nations-box-office/4630801720000/

And Cliffhanger also did 20M in 1993. 

But it's wild that Furiosa won't match the 1994 Memorial Day Weekend opening of The Flintstones. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-05-31-ca-64625-story.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

can’t see anything on Peacock becoming a streaming monster 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ted had a MASSIVE debut on Peacock. Sadly, for them, it was only on the Nielsen charts for one week.

Edited by AJG

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Squire said:

So, with Furiosa flopping, how is it that Dune Part 2 succeeded where Furiosa failed? 

Perhaps Dune delivered a unique theatrical experience whereas Furiosa was just giving more of the same (in terms of action set pieces), but not as good as Fury Road? 

Mad Max more niche? More weird? 

Better Dune marketing campaign? 

Dune Part 2 is a direct sequel with the same cast, more popular actors, better trailers and marketing. It's many things. Max Max being more niche plays a role here too, Fury Road barely broke even despite its reception.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

The situation is bad but don't forget about the strikes. Even on Netflix and prime video last months have been boring.

Definitely the global box office year will be bad with such weak First 6 months but the second half has several strong movies

Joker 2, gladiator 2 (i see a big Surprise like top gun 2), inside out and despicable me.

Plus Deadpool and Wolverine + Lion King shoud do great numbers too.

Also no One here It's giving two cents to It ends with us ...that movie is coming for a 40M+ opening. You'll see. 

• Like 1

Is this a bad weekend? Yes without any denial. Am I disappointed that Furiosa didn’t do better? Yes. Do I think theatrical might be in trouble this year? Somewhat. However, I realized yesterday that through my doom and gloom it won’t help me feel any better. I’m grateful that theaters are still here and that Furiosa still exists. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in numbers and what makes a film a flop or hit, we don’t really appreciate the film themselves sometimes. I’m aiming to see I Saw the TV Glow next week and likely Apes with the family. Also I can’t really say theaters are 100% doomed when June looks far more promising than this May did.

This month just didn’t hit because there wasn’t anything the GA really gravitated too but theaters and studios tried their damndest. This weakness this month was due to strikes due to the studios’ own greed and refusing to play ball - they made their beds and now they must lay in them. It might happen again with the animation/VFX strike looming. This March was pretty damn strong and so long as we rebound in the Fall, 2024 exhibition will be okay. Not to mention 2025 and 2026 look far stronger on paper so theaters will still continue and could return just as strong. However, if theaters become the next drive-ins, I’ll be sad but also grateful they’re still here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Not everything needs a sequel. And honestly, Fall Guy's one that I think works well as just the one thing.

Yeah good point. I thought the same thing after seeing it. It does not end the same way some of these franchise want to be's do with a setup for the sequel.

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Mario was pretty big, especially for Peacock. Around 40M views before heading to Netflix where it's 100M+ views.