kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see why not having John Krasinski and Emily Blunt would be much of a detriment for A Quiet Place. It just needs to deliver on being a tense creature feature. 

In my opinion, they were a crucial part of these movies' appeal. Partly because of the real-life husband and wife connection, as well as how they help add a sense of emotional and familial grounding that isn't seen in a lot of horror movies. They may not be the deepest characters, but they play a big part in the popularity and quality of these films, and I feel it doesn't quite feel right not seeing them in this.

But hey! Could just be me! Could be wrong!

• Like 2

One thing I'll say - yes it's just Twitter and online news, but I am seeing a record amount of conversation among "normal" people about the box office this weekend and the meltdowns have gone as close to mainstream as I've seen them in the past couple years. I don't know if it ends up making any difference, but at least people are talking and maybe that inspires some positive shifts? Idk. Just being hopeful.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

but at least people are talking and maybe that inspires some positive shifts?

It usually make some difference, but always negative, people assume there good reason for a movie to fail (at large decision-making being usually an excellent metric to judge stuff)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

One thing I'll say - yes it's just Twitter and online news, but I am seeing a record amount of conversation among "normal" people about the box office this weekend and the meltdowns have gone as close to mainstream as I've seen them in the past couple years. I don't know if it ends up making any difference, but at least people are talking and maybe that inspires some positive shifts? Idk. Just being hopeful.

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

barack obama hope GIF by Obama

$10 a ticket? More like $15, if you live in a major metro area. NATO hasn't really given an average ticket price in years, so I think it's over $12 nationwide...

I might not be the one to ask about ticket prices though because I'm broke, but yeah, would be nice if they actually were $10.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

$10 a ticket? More like $15, if you live in a major metro area. NATO hasn't really given an average ticket price in years, so I think it's over $12 nationwide...

I might not be the one to ask about ticket prices though because I'm broke, but yeah, would be nice if they actually were $10.

Last update was $10.53 in 2022 up 15% from 2019 prices. 

source:https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/nato-annual-report-theaters-average-ticket-price-1234817316/

Edit: @cannastop more recent from AMC 10-k, $10.84 in 2023

Screen-Shot-2024-05-27-at-8-39-18-AM.png

source: https://investor.amctheatres.com/sec-filings/all-sec-filings/content/0001411579-24-000021/amc-20231231x10k.htm

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know. I'm becoming a bit more cynical that the online discussions surrounding The Fall Guy and Furiosa aren't as organic as they may seem. Mostly because, for as "viral" as some social media posts are getting lamenting how badly both films are doing, it's not like Furiosa is getting a bump from this weekend of folks defending the film.

Careful using company filings, as their reported box revenues include things like subscriptions. The higher the attendance numbers, the lower the calculated ATP will be, which will not be representative of what standard customers would need to pay.

One thing I think people here and on Film Twitter should reconsider is the dismissal of Netflix films. It doesn't really matter that they aren't as discussed on social media as theatrical releases with hundreds of millions dollars in marketing. I was just looking at the most recent Nielsen report, which covers the first week of release of Anyone But You on Netflix, and it had around 7,5 million views in the first 6 days in the U.S. alone. According to the estimates on The Numbers, that film sold a little over 8 million tickets in its entire domestic run in theaters. People are watching Netflix, and they are spending money on it (Netflix revenue last year was near identical to the global box office: 33.7 billion vs 33.9 b). And claiming people use Netflix as background noise as they do laundry I don't consider much different than the several reports of people checking their phone in the theater during the movie. Cultural impact and social media discussion is not really that relevant and won't save the theatrical business.

• Like 2

@Napoleon ok but anyone but you would not have been nearly as popular had it not gone to theaters even if a movie bombs in theaters it still has recognition when it goes to streaming as opposed to just getting dumped on Netflix 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think a lot of the films this year been silly

Just watched civil war was so silly 

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

supposedly movies like Challengers and The Fall Guy are all over TikTok and it didn't help their box office. Seeing a viral clip of the movie somewhere doesn't mean they will go out and watch the full film.

tik tok rarely translate to real world

Look at how few people know Charlie Dmello or how some tik tokers have a million subs and cant get a single person to come to a fan event. 

Interesting seeing the reaction to Furiosa bombing on social media. People are really overreacting to this. A dude genuinely asked if Barbie is going to be the last billion movie, like ever… lol people are losing their mind 

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Interesting seeing the reaction to Furiosa bombing on social media. People are really overreacting to this. A dude genuinely asked if Barbie is going to be the last billion movie, like ever… lol people are losing their mind 

I like how the discourse went from “People are tired of sequels/reboots/remakes/franchises/CGI slop and want real films” to “Oh, I guess people just don’t like movies anymore” in such a sort amount of time.

Still can’t believe The Fall Guy is what initially shook people to their cores.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I like how the discourse went from “People are tired of sequels/reboots/remakes/franchises/CGI slop and want real films” to “Oh, I guess people just don’t like movies anymore” in such a sort amount of time.

Still can’t believe The Fall Guy is what initially shook people to their cores.

I don't think the narrative coming off of Barbenheimer was "people are tired of IP" it was "people want stuff that looks and feels like it was made by people with a vision." And both Fall Guy and Furiosa is that, yes while they are based on IP, they were from filmmakers with style, they were well received, and people thought both would be hits. Or at the very least hit 300M + WW. So if another movie like say Twisters flops, and the only actual hits are Deadpool and Inside Out, then people are gonna be melting down even more.

Edited by ringedmortality

17 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Liked Furiosa a lot more than I thought I would. Kind of a shame this is gonna negatively impact Anya's narrative as a rising star.

Casting Anya was a bad choice, only Australians should be allowed to star in Mad Max films.

• ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, Eric Furiosa said:

In my opinion, they were a crucial part of these movies' appeal. Partly because of the real-life husband and wife connection, as well as how they help add a sense of emotional and familial grounding that isn't seen in a lot of horror movies. They may not be the deepest characters, but they play a big part in the popularity and quality of these films, and I feel it doesn't quite feel right not seeing them in this.

But hey! Could just be me! Could be wrong!

I feel like these projects are no different than a service business which has a lot of employee turnover which results in lots of irritated customers. The employees basically are the business and to a customer, high employee turnover makes the comfortable and familiar into less comfortable and unfamiliar. I think the lack of Blunt and to a lesser extent Krasinski absolutely hurts this one. The new star power is "certain actor/actress in certain role" so any time someone is replaced or missing, it is definitely a negative compared to what it otherwise would have been if they returned.