kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

Posted (edited)

Also going to leave my weekly message to my fellow depressed members here like last weekend: 

"Fuck it, suck it, wake up."

Read that many times. There's a message.

Edited by justnumbers

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Another issue lingering with American cinema is overdependent of English-language title. I feel like American public only watch their own movies. In Malaysia, when MCU fatigue and strike impacting cinema, regional movies from Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, SKorea, India and Japan quickly filling up the market and ensure the industry staying afloat. Diversifying content regardless of region or language is really paying off for Malaysian cinema to recover.

For USA, people should start seeing the benefit of this diversification. Don't forget that last year both Heron + Godzilla-1 combined made 100m is the reason why December ended up pretty ok without mega-hit like A2 or NWH.

Yeah it would be pretty cool if American audiences were into foreign movies. Still, the ones that make it big, like Godzilla, or The Boy and the Heron, are from franchises/studios that are already well known to American audiences.

I feel like most foreign language movies that even see the light of day in the USA are ones that are expected to get awards or critical acclaim. Like American audiences aren't looking forward to Chinese blockbusters or Korean blockbusters either.

One exception is when movies from India are shown in American cinemas near Indian immigrants to the country. I'm looking at one theater and it's like half Indian movies, one Korean movie, and the main American movies.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Great holds Across the board. Except for Furiosa. That's at least nice in a weekend without anything relevant.

At least we have Bad Boys next weekend. A weekend like this and June 21st is very weird. Twisters probably should have opened there. 

There's still time for Ketchup Entertainment to acquire Megalopolis's corpse and dump on June 21st and open below Bikeriders and Kinds of Kindness. We have a chance here.

Like I said with scheduling. Why the Fuck is Twisters opening the week before DP and W? Even assuming it breaks out big that weekend it's dropping 55% if it's lucky. I guess they figure it will stabalize after that. Fingers crossed they are right.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I’ll stand by I have no idea what the fuck the internet is smoking with twisters and especially Glenn Powell. I just don’t see a 200+ tornado blockbuster making a profit in the year 2024. Powell has some charisma yeah but not the acting chops nor the following to drive this forward in any significant way. I feel like people are setting themselves up for disappointment with this one. 

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 4

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The terrible May ends up at 550m finish. All except Kingdom and IF severely miss my expectation. I had Kingdom and IF at 140-150m and 110-120m respectively and I am glad both of them made it. Fall guys I had it at 125m on the basis that TLC did 105m but it likely ends up with just 90m. Garfield and Furiosa are the biggest miss. I thought Garfield could do 180m-200m because even an original like Migration did 125m. Whereas I always peg Furiosa at 130-150m as I was thinking Hemsworth and a good quality action flick could bring it there since even BT made it to 100m.

I don't think my expectation was very unrealistic but sadly the market isn't function properly.

you know what’s even more heartbreaking? This month (550m) will end lower than the entire domestic gross of The Super Mario Bros. Movie (575m)

• Astonished 1

A producer of Garfield posted on Twitter that it made 6 million opening day in China. That’s pretty damn good. 

Considering it’s doing well overseas and will end with a respectable domestic total, it’s a big winner. And that is mostly thanks to a reasonable budget of 60 million.

this is what Hollywood needs to make more of. Medium budget films that appeal to a worldwide audience. And make a lot of them and keep them off streaming for a while!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Willy Wonka and Top Gun are bigger brands than Mad Max though. I feel anyone should have been able to guess that a spin off/prequel 9 years later to a film that wasn't even a huge hit likely wasn't going to light the box office on fire

How on earth are wonka and top gun bigger brands lmao. Be serious

Off topic a little. But we should be getting the  first Gladiator 2 trailer soon. Maybe this week in front of BB ROD but more likely Paramount will save it for their own movie QP Day One at the end of the month. . It blew the roof of at Cinema Con . At the very least Sir Ridley knocks the visuals out of the park still.

39 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just caught up with First Omen. What a damn great movie. Travesty it only did $20 million. 

Going too see it now

I just watched Godzilla minus one. What a FANTASTIC movie. I loved every part of it. My favorite movie of the year by far

Totally wierd for me that my favorite movie and favorite tv show of 2024 are both in Japanese language. I never thought that would happen in a million years

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

huh?

Willy Wonka is based on a popular book. Was the basic of a classic film and a successful remake. Top Gun was a huge hit and classic especially among middle America. Mad Max is a niche series that appeals to a niche audience 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Not that this is why Furiosa didn't do great but I'd say Top Gun and Wonka are definitely bigger, more known properties than Mad Max.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Off topic a little. But we should be getting the  first Gladiator 2 trailer soon. Maybe this week in front of BB ROD but more likely Paramount will save it for their own movie QP Day One at the end of the month. . It blew the roof of at Cinema Con . At the very least Sir Ridley knocks the visuals out of the park still.

I hope it’s good! 

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not that this is why Furiosa didn't do great but I'd say Top Gun and Wonka are definitely bigger, more known properties than Mad Max.

Wonka absolutely is. And the original Top Gun was always a much bigger movie than Mad Max. Pretty much no comparison.

• Like 1