kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

Re Hit Man, I did like the movie but the film social sphere does tend to overestimate the mainstream appeal of Richard Linklater movies. A lot of his hipster sensibilities are on display in the film, and it really is more of a lowkey Linklater hang out movie than the action-implying title would lead an average Joe to believe.

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Will Smith has been wearing a face mask and attending screenings of Bad Boys at a theater in Los Angeles this weekend. There is video footage of him in the theater watching the movie and then walking out and chatting with fans afterwards. He says this is something he does with his movies.

People are hurting. Inflation has been happening for years.  Prices on common everyday goods havent decreased. Dropping 200 bucks in the grocery store is easy and you arent walking out with a ton of food. 

I work for a mortgage servicer and we rec'd one raise in the past 3 years.  I do think interest rates will come down some but historically mortgage interest rates arent that high.   People and businesses got used to cheap money on historically low interest rates.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I can't believe this is still a take in 2024 about Netflix.  Netflix revenue in 2024 will be more than the global box office.  Netflix wants you at home and watching Netflix.  They arent going to spend millions in marketing a wide theatrical release just to split the box office with theaters.   

I’ve thought about what you said, and can’t argue that they are now making money. Money that’s only as assured as its current sub numbers, but I guess the same stands for cinemas. 

I guess where I am coming from is that movies are no longer an event the moment they don’t have their name in lights and that aura of you having to go out to see it. Netflix are contributing to that by not endorsing at least some theatrical upfront. 

Whilst you’re right that they would rather people are at home watching it through a sub they already pay for, I don’t think having the movies out there on the big screen first for a couple of weeks would cost them anything. If anything it would generate more interest, as well as chip away at the expense they put into making the film in the first place. 

I totally get your point, but my take is more coming from a place of knowing films deserve their moment on the silver screen before they become a thumbnail. That’s what the filmmakers are in it for, and that is the culture as it has thrived and should continue to do so. 

I see Netflix not only as a disrupter, but a threat to how people watch films - where they put away their devices and their conversations for two hours, and engage with the story the filmmaker has made.  Even if that’s only for a couple of weeks before it gets given to the masses on their phones, it’s still sacred and needs to be preserved for the good of the medium.  I don’t see them doing that as any kind of threat to their own model, and might even make them more money whilst they’re at it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Anyway I saw Hit Man. It was fine, I don’t get the insane hype. I’m not a fan of dumping films on streaming, but it probably saved it from the same fate as The Fall Guy: a “fun” film that’s gets a lot critical love but doesn’t do great at the box office and generates a bunch of box office think pieces.

Atlas probably will do bigger numbers.

Hit Man's production budget was about 6-7% of that of The Fall Guy. Nor would it have required some massive ad spend. It could have made as much in total as The Fall Guy made in its first few days and been in the clear, and would have then become a valuable addition to the library of any studio that got it. It wasn't "saved" from anything when it essentially arrived ready to fall into their laps and they still didn't want it, even as they continue to sink untold millions of dollars elsewhere.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Wow, From 50, to 51, to 53 now 56.   WOM must be kicking in.  Can we get 60? LOL.  

Let’s get to 70. Let’s take it to the moon!

• Astonished 3

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hit Man's production budget was about 6-7% of that of The Fall Guy. Nor would it have required some massive ad spend. It could have made as much in total as The Fall Guy made in its first few days and been in the clear, and would have then become a valuable addition to the library of any studio that got it. It wasn't "saved" from anything when it essentially arrived ready to fall into their laps and they still didn't want it, even as they continue to sink untold millions of dollars elsewhere.

personally I absolutely loved it. Maybe as I saw it on the big screen that made the essential difference, who knows.  

Would love to see Bad Boys get as high as it can and if it hits $58m+ and passes Apes' ow, it will put a stop on Disney movies passing down the biggest opener of the Summer title to each other. Also, this could lead to ~$170m finish based on how good wom is looking, which will put it ahead of where Apes is probably ending up.

Do hope Quiet Place also heads for $50m+ opening and mid-to-high hundreds finish.

23 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Would love to see Bad Boys get as high as it can and if it hits $58m+ and passes Apes' ow, it will put a stop on Disney movies passing down the biggest opener of the Summer title to each other.

You just made me realize the huge pressure Bad Boys is under. If it opens under Apes…is it because of Mickey’s Law? 🤔 

• Astonished 2

44 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

personally I absolutely loved it. Maybe as I saw it on the big screen that made the essential difference, who knows.  

It has 95% 4.5/5 Verified Audience on RT and 65% 3.5/5  All Audience. 

I read many twitts about lively audience reactions in cinemas and how people cheered in certain scenes. So I guess it matters.

Also I see some similarities between this and Fincher's The Killer reception. Some people just expected a different movie. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Look I like Glen Powell and hope "Twisters" does well (Watched the original in 96 on the Big Screen) but he still has some work to become a proven draw.  I get it, he has the "Leading Man" look thing down.  I'll give him that but I understand "Hit Man" going to streaming, in this market it probably would have had lukewarm box office.   With that said, "Anything But You" put up respectable numbers.  He's on the right track.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

This Summer looks like a missed opportunity for counter programming.  We saw last year some lower to mid level budget genre movies making noise and Hollywood seems to have learned nothing from it.  In baseball terms, they are still trying to hit home runs instead of stringing a couple base hits together.  

• Like 3

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

This Summer looks like a missed opportunity for counter programming.  We saw last year some lower to mid level budget genre movies making noise and Hollywood seems to have learned nothing from it.  In baseball terms, they are still trying to hit home runs instead of stringing a couple base hits together.  

Well there was a strike and all. That's the main explanation, I think. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Look I like Glen Powell and hope "Twisters" does well (Watched the original in 96 on the Big Screen) but he still has some work to become a proven draw.  I get it, he has the "Leading Man" look thing down.  I'll give him that but I understand "Hit Man" going to streaming, in this market it probably would have had lukewarm box office.   With that said, "Anything But You" put up respectable numbers.  He's on the right track.

You're not wrong.

31 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well there was a strike and all. That's the main explanation, I think. 🤷‍♂️

Shame the studios were such greedy fucks.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve thought about what you said, and can’t argue that they are now making money. Money that’s only as assured as its current sub numbers, but I guess the same stands for cinemas. 

I guess where I am coming from is that movies are no longer an event the moment they don’t have their name in lights and that aura of you having to go out to see it. Netflix are contributing to that by not endorsing at least some theatrical upfront. 

Whilst you’re right that they would rather people are at home watching it through a sub they already pay for, I don’t think having the movies out there on the big screen first for a couple of weeks would cost them anything. If anything it would generate more interest, as well as chip away at the expense they put into making the film in the first place. 

I totally get your point, but my take is more coming from a place of knowing films deserve their moment on the silver screen before they become a thumbnail. That’s what the filmmakers are in it for, and that is the culture as it has thrived and should continue to do so. 

I see Netflix not only as a disrupter, but a threat to how people watch films - where they put away their devices and their conversations for two hours, and engage with the story the filmmaker has made.  Even if that’s only for a couple of weeks before it gets given to the masses on their phones, it’s still sacred and needs to be preserved for the good of the medium.  I don’t see them doing that as any kind of threat to their own model, and might even make them more money whilst they’re at it. 

The sad truth is Ted Sarandos is not romantic for the theatrical experience like this. He's all too happy to destroy the industry, only reason anything they might pick up would get a theatrical exhibition is so it can qualify for the academy's now stricter awards criteria.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lol, The Theatrical Experience doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. Overpriced food and tickets when big tv screens are becoming more affordable, streaming services, and being able to watch movies and tv shows whenever you want.

Edited by Shadow2001