Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

Yo this is kinda random but like what the fuck is Universal doing with Shrek 5??? Looking at how mainstream family animated films have done as of late (Minions 2, Mario, IO2, etc.), its almost too obvious they are sitting on a goldmine.

Β 

Wuts da hol up

not on this subject but do we really think Nolan new movie is gonna get a summer 2026 or even a fall 2026 Release ? i i doubt so because 2026 seems stacked with Avengers 5 , new stars wars movie , Frozen 3 , Toy story 5 , Moana live action and there is a possibility of Shrek 5 i know Dunkirk got released in a stacked summer but 2017 isn't like todayΒ 

7 minutes ago, Selma said:

not on this subject but do we really think Nolan new movie is gonna get a summer 2026 or even a fall 2026 Release ? i i doubt so because 2026 seems stacked with Avengers 5 , new stars wars movie , Frozen 3 , Toy story 5 , Moana live action and there is a possibility of Shrek 5 i know Dunkirk got released in a stacked summer but 2017 isn't like todayΒ 

Nolan generally does a movie once every 3 years so I wouldn't be surprised in the least by a July 17, 2026 date announced at some point for his next one.

20 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Β 

This post does underline the fact that 2019 was only as big as it was because it was ALSO heavily dependent on the biggest Disney IPs and the Batman franchise putting out films in the same year.

International box office hits record $30 billion - L.A. Business First

The pandemic has made some folks forget all the discussions we were having in 2019 about how it was feast for the big Disney IPs (and Batcharacters) and famine for pretty much everything else. For better or worse, movie-going habits changed BEFORE the lockdown.Β 

This is in my opinion the thing that people are forgetting with the 2019 talk. Sure 2019 was huge but it was huge for literally one studio (And Sony piggy backing off that studio) and then WB got a save at the end. Only 9 movies passed 300 million in 2019, and that number doesn't get that much better if you extend it to 200 million, only expanding to 10 with It Chapter 2 barely scraping by. Only 16 passed 150 million and even then some of those were considered disappointments (Secret Life of Pets 2, Hobbs & Shaw).

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Β 

This post does underline the fact that 2019 was only as big as it was because it was ALSO heavily dependent on the biggest Disney IPs and the Batman franchise putting out films in the same year.

The pandemic has made some folks forget all the discussions we were having in 2019 about how it was feast for the big Disney IPs (and Batcharacters) and famine for pretty much everything else. For better or worse, movie-going habits changed BEFORE the lockdown.Β 

Β 

Yeah. People tend to forget cinemas were pretty dependent on Disney (especially MCU movies) before the pandemic.Β 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Nolan generally does a movie once every 3 years so I wouldn't be surprised in the least by a July 17, 2026 date announced at some point for his next one.

is July empty because June sure ain't

25 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yo this is kinda random but like what the fuck is Universal doing with Shrek 5??? Looking at how mainstream family animated films have done as of late (Minions 2, Mario, IO2, etc.), its almost too obvious they are sitting on a goldmine.

Β 

Wuts da hol up

Surprised we haven't heard much about it since the success of Puss in Boots 2. Seems like it would be an easy bet to get Dreamworks their first $1B film. Feel like KFP4 was a missed opportunity too on their part despite the overall gross being decent.

56 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Β 

Disney worldwide in 2019 was a beast at $13.2B, I think that may take some time for them to get back to that (I think it will happen at some point due to inflation) 2026 is possible with Disney having 70% of the big movies I listed but they really need everything to go right if not, maybe won't happen until the 2030s.Β 

Β 

As for the Disney $13.2B and to further add to how much theatrical requires a Disney comeback, Disney is the only Studio to have over $7B (they have done it 3 times in 2016, 2018 and 2019) Universal is the next highest at $6.9B in 2015, Warners highest was in 2018 with $5.6B. For theatrical to get to big numbers globally Disney needs to perform.Β 

• Like 2

I was definitely one of those guys who thought it would open to less than $100 million. I just figured the box office has been down massively this year so I thought it would underperform even though a 90 million opening would be the biggest of the year so far.Β 

Β 

What I of course failed to take into consideration is that Pixar is a brand all to itself. And inside out was a beloved original film.Β 

Β 

So congratulations to Disney and Pixar, and to all who figured this would have a massive opening weekend.Β 

Β 

But still, FTSBF. 😈

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I was definitely one of those guys who thought it would open to less than $100 million. I just figured the box office has been down massively this year so I thought it would underperform even though a 90 million opening would be the biggest of the year so far.Β 

Β 

What I of course failed to take into consideration is that Pixar is a brand all to itself. And inside out was a beloved original film.Β 

Β 

So congratulations to Disney and Pixar, and to all who figured this would have a massive opening weekend.Β 

Β 

But still, FTSBF. 😈

FTSBF!Β 

Well "Inside Out 2" and "Bad Boys" saved June.Β  "Quiet Place" will be the cherry on top if it can have a nice opening.Β  But "Inside Out" exploded this weekend.Β  Β July, it's your turn next.Β  Got some heavy hitters too so this Summer is far from over.Β  Β Let's not count out "DM4" and the Minions, they are coming off a 900 Million WW performance post pandemic.Β  The last "DM" did over a Billion.Β  Plus they got have a nice box office streak going and they got a Holiday opening.Β  Β  "Twisters" is the wild card and of course the only MCU Film this year with a team-up of Deadpool and Wolverine.Β  After the success of "X-Men 97", this Deadpool sequel will have characters from that world.Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Β 

Yeah. People tend to forget cinemas were pretty dependent on Disney (especially MCU movies) before the pandemic.Β 

It is honestly insane how Disney has gone from unstoppable titan to flop machine.

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Β 

Wuts da hol up

Cameron Diaz got $1m per hour for Shrek 4.Β 
Β 

Always loved that fact lol. Wonder how much they could all demand for 5.Β 
Β 

(Shrek 2 is the only good one)

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

This is in my opinion the thing that people are forgetting with the 2019 talk. Sure 2019 was huge but it was huge for literally one studio (And Sony piggy backing off that studio) and then WB got a save at the end. Only 9 movies passed 300 million in 2019, and that number doesn't get that much better if you extend it to 200 million, only expanding to 10 with It Chapter 2 barely scraping by. Only 16 passed 150 million and even then some of those were considered disappointments (Secret Life of Pets 2, Hobbs & Shaw).

Β 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Thank GIF

I've been saying this for who knows how long, and it feels so good to finally see the truth brought back up. DisneyΒ wasΒ pop culture during the previous decade, arguably ever since the first Avengers movie changed the world back in its time. And the summer of 2019 in particular was the peak of that domination. Most of the competition got steamrolled by the Mouse. And 7 out of the 8 billion dollar hits of that year were at least produced by them. It was frankly a pretty grim time for the industry, and I really hope we don't regress to one studio dominating everything while everyone else fights for the table scraps.

• Like 5

It’s weird how people would rather have theaters close than have stuff like Deadpool and Inside Out make over a billion. As long as Disney doesn’t β€œwin”

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

I mean, 7 Disney Billies and 1 nondisney is vasssssssstly healthier than 0 disney and 1 nondisneyΒ 

It’s also healthier than 0 and 5, for that matter. Exhibitors can’t be that picky about studio politics when they’re trying to sell enough popcorn for rentΒ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Β 

Wuts da hol up

Getting the entire cast back costs a LOT of money at a time where Dreamworks is clearly trying to cut back is probably the main problem.