Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

1 hour ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Neon's been dying to be A24 since its very inception (they even threw shade at them for selling candles and overpriced merch, even though y'all are owned by the Alamo Drafthouse guy), but they've been moving way too fast and don't have the clout, the resources nor the understanding on how to actually do what A24 has done successfully. I think Parasite and maybe Immaculate have been their only real breakouts outside of the specialty market.

Β 

Anatomy of a Fall and Portrait of a Lady on Fire >> almost any A24 movieΒ 

Β 

Anatomy made a good chunk of change globally (the US is a lost cause for good movies)Β 

• Like 1

Animation is interesting because it is fundamentally more flexible in development than live action. So it’s not completely a bad sign when things aren’t going wrong (though obviously there’s examples like Foodfight and Good Dinosaur that never came together, but those had way worse circumstances).

Β 

im not worrying about Elio. Pixar movies change a lot.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

10 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Animation is interesting because it is fundamentally more flexible in development than live action. So it’s not completely a bad sign when things aren’t going wrong (though obviously there’s examples like Foodfight and Good Dinosaur that never came together, but those had way worse circumstances).

Β 

im not worrying about Elio. Pixar movies change a lot.

I think it's specifically American animation, or rather the culture at WDAS and Pixar that is reflected here. There was a time 10 years ago when a frankly alarming amount of director turnover happened at Pixar. I'm not worried about Elio but not all animation works like this.

Just back from Inside Out 2 with my wife and 2 girls. My elder daugher(a teen herself) acted out all the emotions while watching the movie. It felt like a roller coaster ride going at a furious pace and fabulous finish. While its a sequel, I thought it stood on its own beautifully. Top Tier Pixar movie for sure. Expecting uber strong run through the summer.Β 

Β 

Rest of the family also loved the movie though it moved so fast, my wife said she missed some stuff.Β 

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

50 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think it's specifically American animation, or rather the culture at WDAS and Pixar that is reflected here. There was a time 10 years ago when a frankly alarming amount of director turnover happened at Pixar. I'm not worried about Elio but not all animation works like this.

Β 

Pretty sure it happens at DreamWorks quite a bit, they just don't have as much public scrutiny about it and they're not held up on a pedestal as an "auteur" studio the way Disney/Pixar is

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

This franchise might accompany us through life. The third one might be a bit tricky to avoid the r-Rating. ;)

Β 

But jokes aside, sequels can't get more obvious in their existance than in this case. Life itself delivers the scripts.Β 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Β 

Pretty sure it happens at DreamWorks quite a bit, they just don't have as much public scrutiny about it and they're not held up on a pedestal as an "auteur" studio the way Disney/Pixar is

Β 

Β 

Β 

Speaking of DreamWorks I was reminded how How To Train Your Dragon 2 came out ten years ago and massively underperformed domestically. It was following a beloved predecessor, had no competition from Pixar that summer, and this was the best it could do?

Β 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt1646971/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Same happened to Kung Fu Panda 2. Both franchises were well received but they just didn't enter the zeitgeist like Shrek did. Their audience all turned out with the first movie.Β 

Β 

Does seem like nostalgia might be coming into play now though with Panda 4 breaking out. I'm disappointed in Dean Deblois remaking his own movie in live action but ultimately he may end up making bank with that.

7 hours ago, lilmac said:

The best Pixar movie I’ve seen in years. Some progressive stuff but nothing that particularly bothered me. Made me tear up a couple of times. Hit me in the feels. Excellently done. Definitely worthy of the Pixar brand. Kudos to everyone involved. Β 

Not going to doubt you may think this is the best Pixar in years, but have you seen Soul, Luca, or Turning Red?

9 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

Not going to doubt you may think this is the best Pixar in years, but have you seen Soul, Luca, or Turning Red?

Black people, Italians, and Asian people. Too progressive

• Haha 8
  • Knock It Off 1

I get some people don't like the idea of more Pixar sequels but outside of lightyear we've had nothing BUT originals since before covid. I feel like a few sequels won't be the end of the world, especially when a lot of their sequels are fantastic as well.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

This franchise might accompany us through life. The third one might be a bit tricky to avoid the r-Rating. ;)

Β 

But jokes aside, sequels can't get more obvious in their existance than in this case. Life itself delivers the scripts.Β 

They need to add horny emotion.Β 

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Looking ahead to next weekend. IO 2 and BB ROD will stay number 1 and 2. Bikeriders should be number 3 even if it only does in the 5-10 m range. Nothing else will do above 4.0-5.0 with Apes being 3 this weekend at 5.2.

Yeah as good as the numbers are, and should continue to be into July, the box office is going to be hilariously top heavy until we get to late August and into Fall and that's ultimately because there is barely any product in the market place. I say August because that month actually has a lot of volume that will give the box office some depth, even if no movie that month is really big.

Edited by Insomnia

11 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Did Sunday underperform? I would have expected #s by now telling us it actually hit 160 or something.Β 

The crumbling continues not even gonna hit 12x IM πŸ˜”